Thread: How to make DARU3's fan quieter?

How to make DARU3's fan quieter?

I bought a DARU3 last year. It's a nice machine, but it's a bit on the noisy side. (It doesn't help that it seems to strain itself in order to do basic 2d graphics tasks thanks to the lousy Intel drivers.) Its fan scales up and down seemingly at random, and it makes a lot of noise.

I know there's a "Silent Mode" button, but I only use that in public. I'm afraid of melting or overheating the thing. (What exactly does "Silent Mode" do, anyway?) Any other tips or suggestions on how to make this thing run cooler / quieter? Anyone?
    3 apps that make Ubuntu more like a Mac
    How to make Ubuntu look and feel like Mac OS X

Tarutaru icon (c) 2001-2004 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: How to make DARU3's fan quieter?

The Silent mode button is the only option I know of. It won't melt anything. It will throttle down the CPU and the fan so that nothing overheats.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    The Silent mode button is the only option I know of. It won't melt anything. It will throttle down the CPU and the fan so that nothing overheats.
    Okay, then ...

Although I just saw this today, which worries me. >.> Since the DARU3 is a Clevo design, and since this one seems to have heat issues.

And I do worry about putting it on silent mode sometimes. I had it on my lap for awhile once and set it to run on silent mode, and after not too long it automatically disengaged from it, and the fan was running so hard I thought it would melt down or something. I guess I should put it on top of a book or something when I'm using it on the couch ...