Thread: Need Help Ubuntu 8.10 falling apart

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Need Help Ubuntu 8.10 falling apart

I need help with a few problems. My machine seems to be slowly disintegrating, and I don't know what I did.

First off, my Totem player no longer plays Youtube videos. It will find them, but gives me this error message when I attempt to play them:

AN ERROR OCCURED:
    Could not open location; you might not have permission to open the file.

(It was working fine till the last time I tried to use it.)

Also, I attempted to install the OpenOffice 3.1 deb tar files. It complained about what was the 3.0 core, so I removed OO_3.0 with synaptic, but there were still complications, and 3.1 never worked. I then just gave up and tried to go back to 3.0, but now I can not upgrade 2.4 to 3.0 any more. Has anyone installed 3.1 on Intrepid? I have already tried using the PPA's and they don't update anything. Solutions? Perhaps I am not installing the 3.1 debs correctly...can I get a refresher.

Also before I noticed all of this Shiretoko seemed to have eaten Firefox 3.0 after an update? What happened there...could this have caused any of this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Need Help Ubuntu 8.10 falling apart

Ok, so now I at least see a startup screen when I try and open OO 3.1, but it immediately attempts a recovery of a file, and continues to do so constantly. I continually get this error:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'com::sun::star::uno::RuntimeException'

I believe it has to do with the JRE. Anyways, I have reinstalled 2.4 for now =-(
    Last edited by ngrieb; October 17th, 2009 at 05:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok, after poking around I solved this problem. I had to delete a previous .openoffice/ directory in my home dir. Hope this helps anyone else with this problem.

But I still have the odd Totem Youtube issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi,

You might have changed permissions on folders from root to the user? I tried this about 3 or 4 years ago, thinking it would make life simpler so I didn't have to "sudo" into things all the time... I was wrong.

However, if everything else seems to be working, I'm not sure. Does Totem, itself, run fine? If not, try running it from the terminal with/without "sudo".

Or maybe the plugin for Firefox wasn't installed correctly. Try removing and adding it using Synaptic.
    Cheers,
    -Abhejit Rajagopal, EE student at UCLA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Totem itself works, it plays vids off of the disk just fine. It's just that it suddenly wont play Youtube videos. As far as I know I have not changed folder or file permissions lately. My first thought was attempt to sudo totem, but that didn't work.