Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Partition gone

Beans

Re: Partition gone

I really hate to help people with Win Jerry Lewis Pro. That said, there are an awful lot of really great data recovery tools out there.

I would quit trying to do anything with that partition and stay off Win and let the box run.

Do a search of recovery tools. The good ones are LiveCDs with a linux base and lots of recovery tools on board.

Maybe others could give you recommendations but I am just a noob at this and only done any thing like that once.

All I will say is that it is amazing what you can recover.

It may be that the tools that you need are in the reops and you could install them and use them without rebooting. Every time you reboot makes recovery a little harder. Every time you try to look at the partition make recovery a little harder. Get a good tool and turn it loose on it.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

Welp, I only use it as a backup, and was afraid of using Vbox for a while. Used it now for some scanning. but well... can't do business with the devil it seems

Beans

I really would not give up on it at all.

All I was trying to get across is that the choice of people that really know what they are doing have been using Linux based tools for Win Whatever recovery.

I think part of it is that the way permissions are set in Win and Linux are different and the Linux stuff is just more powerful. It may not be as pretty, or even have a gui, but it does the job.

Think of it as an adventure. People pay money for that sort of thing.

Get your data back. HAVE FUN.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

well, since I do not know what I am doing, and I only use a terminal when I am absolutely sure of what I'm doing is ok (nothing/not much can go wrong), I'd prefer an win tool if it is available. Now, had I have the techy linux friend who got me into linux in the first place here with me, I'd give him the green light to use whatever linux tool there is to solve it. But I'm on my non-techy own here

Beans

You can use ntfsfix after installing ntfsprogs as described here:

http://mpathirage.com/how-to-fix-ntf...ror-on-ubuntu/

It's easiest if you still have Windows installed in a dual boot because you can just boot up Win after running chkdsk and Win will run a check and usually get things sorted.

Beans

There is something to say for familiarity.

I just think that your odds would be better from your Ubuntu installation.

MS ought to be able to have a usable recovery tool though. Their OS' are good at making you need one.

Hope you get it all back.

When (not if) you do, I would shrink the bugger to the smallest you can stand. Then I would put in an ext4 partition. You could back up to the win partition and then transfer it to the ext4 partition from Ubuntu.

This would make it much more secure. Win does not support ext4, can't recognize it. When you need something for Win you could just dump it back in.

Beans

testdisk can scan for lost partitions, can't it? I've had it recreate my whole partition table after a particularly nasty (Windows) malware hit me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Zorael View Post
    testdisk can scan for lost partitions, can't it? I've had it recreate my whole partition table after a particularly nasty (Windows) malware hit me.
    I've heard of some great results from using testdisk, but the OP seems to have a strange problem. At least it appears so.

Code:
    Following are some of the main features of TestDisk:

*Fix partition table, recover deleted partition
    *Recover FAT32 boot sector from its backup
    *Rebuild FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 boot sector
    *Fix FAT tables
    *Rebuild NTFS boot sector
    *Recover NTFS boot sector from its backup
    *Fix MFT using MFT mirror
    *Locate ext2/ext3 Backup SuperBlock

The following types of file systems/partitions are supported:

BeFS ( BeOS )
    DOS/Windows FAT12, FAT16 and FAT32
    HFS and HFS+, Hierarchical File System
    Linux Ext2 and Ext3
    Linux Raid (Raid 1,4,5 and 6)
    Novell Storage Services NSS
    NTFS ( Windows NT/2K/XP/2003/Vista )
    Sun Solaris i386 disklabel
    Unix File System UFS and UFS2 (Sun/BSD/…)
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    I've heard of some great results from using testdisk, but the OP seems to have a strange problem. At least it appears so.
    No, testdisk is exactly what the OP should try using. My partition layout was accidentally overwritten and testdisk managed to reconstruct the NTFS partition. It's definitely worth a try.

Beans

Well I guess these guys with Win Jerry Lewis Pro are a big help.

I not only am a ranch hand, a bunch noted for being willing to jump into things, I am also a Blacksmith, a bunch who like to see how things work, if a big hammer is involved - all the better.

I have a couple of HDDs that have suffered from the "well what happens if I do this" meathod of learning to partition drives. Basically I succeeded in wiping ALL info off these drives. This makes them real hard to detect.

There is at least one that bios will see even if nothing else will.

I downloaded this here testdisk thingy. I think I may have to turn off my internal drives and hook those bricks up and see if they are detected by this. It will write info to the MBR which will in turn make the disk visible and therefore usable.

If it works or not it will be FUN, so I must thank the OP for starting this thread and VMC for a new toy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast