Thread: Waiting for 9.10...what to do ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Question Waiting for 9.10...what to do ?

Hi there..

i recently moved from a lifetime in widows to this new (for me of course) world of Linux/Ubuntu. By a friend recommendation, i've installed Ubuntu 8.04 from disc doing a double boot with windows XP. My old HD has 120GB so i decided to do a 50%-50% partition.

ive learned that 9.10 is coming up soon so here are my questions ..

1) would you recommend upgrading from 8.04 to 9.10 ? why ? i read somewhere that 8.04 was not a bad choise for a newbie like me.
    2) i'd like to re-size my partitions, it seems and awfull waste of space in winodows. Is there any tool to do that, that you recommend ?. Do i do it before upgrading OS?
    3) would you recommend an actual upgrade (is it posible? ) or a clean installation from zero in this case .. ?

i thank you in advance for your posts..

regards.
    im new to this...(but i am a fast learner) so please bare for me a while.
    =============
    My Newbie Threads ...please help me to learn:
    Conky Compiling 8.04 | Waiting for 9.10 | Errors & Log Files|

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Waiting for 9.10...what to do ?

Personally I'd go for a clean install. I daresay someone will be along very shortly to advise on the resizing of Partitions. Ubuntu is good! you'll love it!

Beans

My thoughts:

1) Probably no need to upgrade, at least immediately. 8.04 will have support for another couple of years before it is considered obsolete.

2) Gparted. It is probably best to run from the Live CD as then none of your disks or partitions will be mounted and you will be able to redo any partition(s) you want.

3. I ALWAYS recommend a clean installation from scratch. For me (and my past experience) upgrades tend to work "pretty well", but there always seems to be a "gotcha" in there somewhere.

LewRockwell is offline Chocolate Ubuntu Mocha Blend
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

If your machine were on our tech bench we would just use gparted to shrink the windows partition and use that space to install 9.10 when it arrives

If you have any questions on multi-booting then there are many guides and tutorials to assist you

Perhaps something like this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1222961

Or this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1252042

or this:

http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147959

Link: Help Vampires? * * * Please Edit First Post Title With "[SOLVED]" When It Is!
    MANDATORY INFORMATION: make, model/build number, OSes, software, accessories
    /customizations/modifications/peripherals/etc...and a DETAILED account of difficulties!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

No need to upgrade to 9.10 unless you encounter that you need an application that requires an upgrade. For instance kdenlive (video editor). Kdenlive as it is available in 8.04 is very different (0.5) than the kdenlive version in 9.10 (0.7.6) because it had a very active development over the last year.

I have always 2 versions of ubuntu installed. Once per year I upgrade or reinstall the oldest version. I upgrade if I did only little compilations; reinstall if I compiled a lot of apps and used a lot of third party repositories.
    AMD64X2 3800+ 3GB Ram: 11.10
    ACER one T1810 : 11.10 64 bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Here is a link to the gparted download page.

Like eveeyone else said there's nothing wrong with staying with what works.
    If you are bitten by the "latest & greatest" bug remember that a clean install usually has less problems than an upgrade.
    Alternate (psychocats.net) Ubuntu info resource

Helping isn't what the logical mind thinks it is because when you help others you're really helping yourself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by cotcot View Post
    No need to upgrade to 9.10 unless you encounter that you need an application that requires an upgrade.
    for example .. y was trying to install an app. Conky. i learned that the version that was out for 8.04 was conky 1.5.1. ...but i wanted to install conky.v1.7.2 .. but there are no .dev files for 8.04 so

i was trayin to compile it to 8.04 ...it is possible ? ( i have a thread with this history also)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1286257

...thank for your post cotcot..
    im new to this...(but i am a fast learner) so please bare for me a while.
    =============
    My Newbie Threads ...please help me to learn:
    Conky Compiling 8.04 | Waiting for 9.10 | Errors & Log Files|