Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unable to purchase a Dell laptop with Ubuntu pre-installed in Australia

Beans

Re: Unable to purchase a Dell laptop with Ubuntu pre-installed in Australia

I hear your pain. I had the same moral quandry when I purchased my 1330 a year and a half ago. Windows only here in NZ too.

I eventually imported from Hong Kong with windows (which was wiped before first boot - and no I couldn't be bothered trying to get a refund).

I've subsequently decided that the only way to avoid the M$ tax (it's actually a subsidy thanks to the crapware that come pre-installed which the companies pay to the laptop maker) is to buy second hand.
    Arch 3.3.1-1 (x86_64) w/Gnome 3.2
    ASUS P7P55-E-Pro, Geforce GTX460, i5-750, 8GB
    Dell XPS m1330, Geforce 8400M, 4965AGN
    HP Folio 13 Ultrabook

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Unable to purchase a Dell laptop with Ubuntu pre-installed in Australia

Hey Sultan thanks for your reply.

I think its kind of rude that Dell treats us like this. To me it is a totally unacceptable situation that Northern Hemisphere markets get a choice but we don't.

I've been considering various options this last few days, one of which is to start an online Expressions-Of-Interest/petition for our markets to see if anyone else thinks how we do. If they don't then fine I'll bang my Ubuntu drum in my own little corner. If they do then I'd be letting Dell know what they are missing out on and why it is ludicrous for a company who sprouts support for Ubuntu elsewhere not to support it in our great lands also.

I'll step down from my soapbox for a while now and consider other options as well.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12