Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to purchase a Dell laptop with Ubuntu pre-installed in Australia

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Unable to purchase a Dell laptop with Ubuntu pre-installed in Australia

I have just been using Dell Australia's Live Chat and asked a very simple question. Here is the transcript from the chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael

10:11:34 Customer Michael Initial Question/Comment: Am I able to purchase a Dell laptop without Windows? I use Ubuntu instead
    10:11:39 System System http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/defa...n&s=gen&~ck=cr
    10:12:04 System System You are now being connected to an agent. Thank you for using Dell Chat
    10:12:05 System System Connected with Ravi
    10:12:19 Agent Ravi Hi Michael
    10:12:24 Customer Michael Hi Ravi
    10:12:45 Agent Ravi all the systems goes with windows or vista default
    10:12:55 Agent Ravi business name?
    10:13:03 Customer Michael so I am unable to buy a blank system then?
    10:13:11 Customer Michael my business name?
    10:13:20 Agent Ravi that's correct
    10:14:00 Customer Michael what would happen if I reformatted the system and installed Dells version of Ubuntu? would my warranty be voided?
    10:14:25 Agent Ravi yes.
    10:14:25 System System Ravi has left this session!
    10:14:25 System System The session has ended!
    I find it very disappointing that Dell gets such good will from Ubuntu forums as a supporter of Ubuntu yet I am unable to buy a system in Australia with Ubuntu pre-installed. Furthermore if I choose to use Dell's own version of Ubuntu my warranty would be voided. They are not doing themselves any favours in this country. Until this situation changes I think I'll be staying away from Dell.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Unable to purchase a Dell laptop with Ubuntu pre-installed in Australia

Technically speaking, I don't believe it voids your warranty. However, if you have an issue that they cannot prove or resolve because you have Linux on the device then they won't honour the warranty - you have to be able to prove the problem to them under Windows.

I have an Inspiron, a Vostro, two mini-9s (all running Linux) and had issues with just one mini. Since the problem meant I couldn't boot at all - it didn't matter that it had Linux on it and it was fixed on-site (replaced m/b and ssd). For the purpose of allowing Dell to diagnose issues, I found it easier to simply buy a cheap SSD onto which I copied the vanilla Windows install, the same applies to the larger units - I have a spare laptop disk ] can install 'doze on if I have to.

I agree that it isn't ideal but it allows you to consider them. Unfortunately, getting a bespoke laptop built costs the same or more than the equivalent Dell, even including the Microsoft tax.
    Last edited by mtbsoft; October 14th, 2009 at 04:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

These people might be able to help you, check them out!!! Emperor Linux: http://www.emperorlinux.com/

Luis

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Dell Technical Support has the lowest satisfaction rating in the PC business. They are dead last in the bottom. They have a total of a 55% satisfaction from a survey of people.

Dell exports their technical support in other counties such as India and the Philippines. They are trained in the Windows department. They are poorly train tech support for the linux operating system. They are totally clueless about Ubuntu. They have no knowledge of linux at all. You are better off looking online for help.

You would have to call Dell and ask to speak with the supervisor. And ask them for a "NO OS" build computer. You don't want Windows pre-installed!" They should honor it if you ask! Do not ask technical support, speak with the supervisor.

however, Dell has paid a lot of money trying to fix this problem. and they are trying to improve their tech support. One option, to get a best quality tech support is to opt in and pay for the United States Tech support.
    Last edited by shiningkenmonster; October 14th, 2009 at 06:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for your replies everyone. I must say I was a little peeved with the whole chat experience, the guy even closed the chat down before I could ask any more questions.

I'll consider the options that you have all suggested and also call Dell Australia direct and ask for a supervisor to deal with my questions. I do want to support the people who support Ubuntu, but I also want to support my country's economy while doing that.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by shiningkenmonster View Post
    Dell Technical Support has the lowest satisfaction rating in the PC business. They are dead last in the bottom. They have a total of a 55% satisfaction from a survey of people.

Dell exports their technical support in other counties such as India and the Philippines. They are trained in the Windows department. They are poorly train tech support for the linux operating system. They are totally clueless about Ubuntu. They have no knowledge of linux at all. You are better off looking online for help.

You would have to call Dell and ask to speak with the supervisor. And ask them for a "NO OS" build computer. You don't want Windows pre-installed!" They should honor it if you ask! Do not ask technical support, speak with the supervisor.

however, Dell has paid a lot of money trying to fix this problem. and they are trying to improve their tech support. One option, to get a best quality tech support is to opt in and pay for the United States Tech support.
    Well after calling Dell today I can see why this is the case. I asked 1, yes only 1, simple question and was put onto 4 different people none of whom could answer "Can I buy a Dell laptop without Windows Pre-Installed?"

How pathetic is this situation? I have a good mind of calling Dell Australia direct, in other words bypassing Mumbai(sp?) and Kolkutta (sp?), and letting them know how I feel about it.

Sorry about the rant and rave but for a company that gets good mileage from supposedly supporting Ubuntu they are doing a great job of not letting anyone use it on their machines (in Australia at least).

Not the happiest of chappies atm.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by k3lt01 View Post
    Well after calling Dell today I can see why this is the case. I asked 1, yes only 1, simple question and was put onto 4 different people none of whom could answer "Can I buy a Dell laptop without Windows Pre-Installed?"

How pathetic is this situation? I have a good mind of calling Dell Australia direct, in other words bypassing Mumbai(sp?) and Kolkutta (sp?), and letting them know how I feel about it.

Sorry about the rant and rave but for a company that gets good mileage from supposedly supporting Ubuntu they are doing a great job of not letting anyone use it on their machines (in Australia at least).

Not the happiest of chappies atm.
    I just ordered a DELL Latitude 2100 with Ubuntu 9.04 loaded. waiting for delivery in sydney australia. hope this helps

Beans
    Distro

Can you let me know how? Who through? any information is greatly appreciated.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by k3lt01 View Post
    Can you let me know how? Who through? any information is greatly appreciated.
    The Dell Latitude 2100 is in the small business section, not the home and home office. It sells for $AU609 at the basic level but I upgrade to $AU711 with all the hardware options. The touch screen option is there but is an error, at $AU5.50 extra it too good to be true so I could not get it. Have a look at the net book first, it mat not be what you look for. There is also another systems configured with redhat linux but the price ranges high. I went to the homepage www.dell.com.au and type in linux in search box. Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks SydneyAustralia, I have seen the Latitude 2100 with Ubuntu listed and it would be absolutely perfect for certain usages but I'm looking for something larger than a 10.1" screen. My ideal is 15" screen minimum, I realise anything bigger is going to get expensive but netbooks are not something I would use in an everyday situation.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast