Thread: Location of CUPS Completed Jobs Logfile?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Location of CUPS Completed Jobs Logfile?

I'm trying to find out where CUPS stores the list of completed jobs that is viewable through the web interface at localhost:631/cups. Basically I want to be able to import this data into a spreadsheet so I can track printer usage from various users. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Dan

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: Location of CUPS Completed Jobs Logfile?

Depends my Hp will log to /var/log/cups/page_log but my Brother printer won't log at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Location of CUPS Completed Jobs Logfile?

I finally figured out what I wanted to do. I searched around a bit for some way to log the print data in such a way that I could use it to tabulate printer usage by user, and I found this: http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/printanalyze/. It's a really nice little script that reads the CUPS print_log and sorts the data all sorts of ways. I set up a cron job (command: crontab -e) which ran this program (PrintAnalyzer) as sudo and wrote the output to a file called print.log. So my crontab entry looks like:
    Code:
    00 * * * * sudo PrintAnalyzer > ~/print.log
    . (If you're unsure what the 00s and stars do at the beginning, check out this helpful page.)

Finally, I created a script called printlogarchive, which I use to archive the print.log at the end of each month. (PrintAnalyzer does show cumulative data, so the hourly overwrites still show the previous print job info, but I wanted to have a per-month log as well.) The script is like this:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    dt=$( date +%y%m%d.%k%M )
    mv print.log print_${dt}.log
    mv print_${dt}.log ~/printlog_archive/
    where "dt" is a variable of sorts built by the command "date", which in this case sets up a string with the two-digit year, month, and day, a ".", then the 24-hour time and minute. I added "printlogarchive" to the crontab as well, setting it to run once a month.

(I should also note that both of my scripts were moved to /usr/local/bin/ once they were finished so that they were executable from the command line without having to be in their directory and type a "./" in front of the command. And of course the file permissions were changed so that the file is executable.)

I tried to make this info newbie-friendly so that others can use this info, but let me know if you have questions!

-Dan