Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone else noticed that the big wig dudes are (bad word here)

Beans

Has anyone else noticed that the big wig dudes are (bad word here)

Hi

I am trying to figure out if I am just a mean old man or <snip> ...

I have made no secret that I am a linux noob. However if you ask for help as a noob most of the time you get a response READ THIS LONG INTRO TO LINUX or "All you have do do is turn side ways, apt get something, smasch your keyboard, bla bla bla" like a NOOB has a clue how to do any of this..

anyhow... day one, I got yelled at for saying the word BOOB!

Today I got a nice lil note that my HEY INDIANA NOOBS COME OVER HERE post was burried in some obscure place becuase they didnt like it in the NOOBS WITH ISSUES section.

Before I started this linux trip I was told by several LINUX dudes that ubuntu 9.04 was ready for prime time and that any windows guy could use it.

So far I have found that all it really does is get on the internet...

anyhow.... if they really expect people to drop windows they need to get over their high and mighty "I CAN PROGRAM IN C++" and come down to our level.

Just my two cents

Jim
    Last edited by Elfy; October 13th, 2009 at 09:20 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Has anyone else noticed that the big wig dudes are (bad word here)

thank you. please drive through.

Beans

****** SHAKING MY HEAD AN LAFFING ********

You guys think THAT is a BAD WORD??????

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ConXtionS View Post
    ****** SHAKING MY HEAD AN LAFFING ********

You guys think THAT is a BAD WORD??????
    no, in my world, the word you have cited, is one of the best possible. never applied it to a person (well not a whole person) though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Have you attempted asking your questions intelligently?

Linux does far more than get on the internet; glance through the default applications, and through "Add/Remove Software". Unlike Windows, nearly everything you'll ever want is installable with just the click of a mouse.
    Locke
    Try Dropbox, it's FREE! (gratis) http://db.tt/J7Sm9iC
    Try Dropbox experimental build updater http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=12153

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Locke_99GS View Post
    Have you attempted asking your questions intelligently?

Linux does far more than get on the internet; glance through the default applications, and through "Add/Remove Software". Unlike Windows, nearly everything you'll ever want is installable with just the click of a mouse.

It is probably the INTELLIGENTLY part that has me in a pickle.... lol

My deal is how to record tv... With windows it is an hour long deal at MOST...

I am 3 weeks now on mythtv....

Could be that I am stupid.... but there are alot of stupid people just like me that cant make it work either.... So, while I only have that one experience to speak of in Linux so far, I can tell you for a fact that when it comes to TV recording and SERVING windows seems to be the leader thus far.

I would LOVE to be proved wrong however....

Jim

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by doas777 View Post
    no, in my world, the word you have cited, is one of the best possible. never applied it to a person (well not a whole person) though.

LMAO.... In my world it is pretty tame too...

How did we manage to get to this "DONT OFFEND ANYONE" place we are today????

I wasnt even trying to be offensive really.. I was just being DESCRIPTIVE.... I honestly want to know if I am the ONLY ONE having this much trouble getting anywhere with LINUX... If I am the ONLY ONE then clearly I am in the wrong.. But if there are OTHERS as I suspect, then maybe we need to change a few things so that people like me can ENJOY the benifits of all that labor.

I dont know... maybe it simply isnt worth the time

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Here is an excellent place to start: http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html

This helped me out a lot.

Also, I purchased a book from e-bay called "The Official Ubuntu Book" for about $5 (with shiping), but it was an old one (6.something). Even though it was for an older version, it was still very informative and still pertained to the current Ubuntu. Gee, what a concept! There were some minor differences that were easy to work around, but the core concepts were the same.

I am a part time photographer, and I decided to go linux when my old "borrowed" copies of software (photoshop) would not work in Vista. I could not afford to purchase Photoshop and Lightroom (approximately $1000 or so), so I started researching linux. I only wish I had done this a long time ago. For my type of photography, Rawtherapee and GIMP produce much better results than what I had before.

Also, I have been using Open Office for many years on Windows and often wondered why anyone would use MS-Office. Open Office has more to offer, and you can save documents in ANY format you like, and it is free! It truly is an incredible professional package.

There is a small learning curve when switching to Linux, but Ubuntu makes the transition very easy. With a little time and patience, you will be zipping around Ubuntu like it was the only OS you have ever used. Since I have become familiar with Ubuntu, Windows seems backwards and cumbersome.

I went from "duh" to expert in about a month. Well, not really expert, but comfortable anyway. Which is pretty good considering it took me several years to get this comfortable with *******, and then they go and change the rules!

Ubuntu is a very powerful tool, and I can see it becoming a replacement in offices everywhere as an alternative to expensive licensed software, especially in the type of economy we are in right now.

I hope you explore Ubuntu a little more. It is more than just something to get on the internet with. I am finding more and more each day that Ubuntu is a very professional operating system that is very customizable and capable of doing anything you need, whether you are a professional in an office or someone who just needs to get on the internet occasionaly. (Good Grief....I sound like a salesman!)

Also, just for fun, I like the cool effects like rotating desktops and wobbly windows.

I live near Lafayette. If you live near that area, I would be glad to meet and share what I have learned since I have switched OS'es

BTW-Did I mention the cost?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by ConXtionS View Post
    ... If I am the ONLY ONE then clearly I am in the wrong.. But if there are OTHERS as I suspect, then maybe we need to change a few things so that people like me can ENJOY the benifits of all that labor.
    So, when are you starting your own distro?
    Will you call it noobinux or conxibuntu?

No harm meant
    AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2,8 GHz - GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P - 6 GB RAM Mushkin DDR3 1333 - ZOTAC GeForce 9800 GT 1 GB DDR3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Intelligent questions produce intelligent answers.

That's all there is to say.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast