Page 55 of 88 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread: New Wacom Bamboo not working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: New Wacom Bamboo not working

EDIT Mar 10/2010: please see Ayuthia's post in this dev thread - he keeps it very current.

An Overall log and HowTo up until now.
    Get ready - it's a long one.

NOTE! This was done on Ubuntu 9.10 (32 bit) Remix distro - fresh install. It may not work for anything else, however I am fairly confident that it is generic. One difference is the 10-wacom.fdi file is called 10-linuxwacom.fdi in Karmic.
    EDIT: This also uses linuxwacom-0.8.4-3 which is not the most current. Keep an eye out for an update to the latest linuxwacom.

EDIT: It likely goes without saying, BUT just to be sure...
    THIS IS NOT MY WORK! Although I have had a small part to play, the faithful here are Favux and Ayuthia (may this be a tribute =D>)
    Many of the rest of us test and report or try new things to add to the mix. It is team work at it's best. Thanks everyone!

Also, the '#'s are root shell prompts from the 'sudo bash' command. You can use 'sudo' commands instead - if you'd rather not be in a root bash shell. for editing, I use 'vi' but 'gksudo gedit' works better if you don't know the vi editor. I'm from the old school

One more thing - I'll likely need to make edits, so check back. I will mark edits carefully.

in Terminal...

Code:
    $ sudo bash
    Password: *********
    Code:
    # apt-get update
    EDIT: skip next 2 lines for Karmic (thanks Dnprossi)
    # apt-get install wacom-tools xserver-xorg-input-wacom
    # apt-get purge wacom-tools xserver-xorg-input-wacom
    # apt-get install build-essential libx11-dev libxi-dev x11proto-input-dev 
    # apt-get install xserver-xorg-dev tk8.4-dev tcl8.4-dev libncurses5-dev
    # apt-get install libhal-dev
    # apt-get upgrade
    If running Ubuntu Karmic Remix or other minimal distro, you may have to do:

Code:
    # wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git-repos/ubuntu/linux-2.6/drivers/hid/hid-ids.h
    # cp ./hid-ids.h /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/drivers/hid/hid-ids.h
    # apt-get install patch
    see Ayuthia's Patches For LinuxWacom post #144, for a full how to BEFORE the doing the next steps.
    You may not need them all.
    EDIT: The following file does not appear available any longer. It can be accessed here (Thanks James-)
    See above EDIT
    After downloading linuxwacom-.8.4-3.tar.bz2 from http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/index.php/dl and Ayuthia's patches...
    Code:
    # tar -xjvf linuxwacom-0.8.4-3.tar.bz2
    # tar -xjvf wcm2_patch.tar.bz2        
    # cp wcm2_patch/*.patch linuxwacom-0.8.4-3/     
    # cd linuxwacom-0.8.4-3/
    EDIT: Previous typo in tar command (Thanks dnprossi )

Each of the following should execute without output...

Code:
    # patch -p1 < wacomcpl-exec.patch
    # patch -p1 < wacom_sys.c.patch
    # patch -p1 < wacom_wac.c.patch
    # patch -p1 < wacom_wac.h.patch
    # patch -p1 < wactablet.h.patch
    # patch -p1 < wacusb.c.patch
    # patch -p1 < wcmUSB.c.patch
    (there's lots of output but there should be no errors at the end of each of the next steps)
    EDIT: Note that the next step is for my kernel version - i.e. you may need 2.6.28 instead of 2.6.31

Code:
    # make clean
    # ./configure --enable-wacom --prefix=/usr
    # make
    # make install
    # cp src/2.6.31/wacom.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/
    Next, because the module was never used (if it was, use 'rmmod wacom' first)...

Code:
    # insmod /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko
    # depmod -e
    EDIT: you'll get a warning here in Karmic re "WARNING: -e needs -E or -F" - disregard

I got Favux's fdi file Favux_Bamboo-Pen&Touch-working_10-wacom.fdi.txt from post #384 and did

EDIT: Typo in next file name - missed "Favux_..." - how could I!?
    Code:
    # cp Favux_Bamboo-Pen\&Touch-working_10-wacom.fdi.txt /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/10-linuxwacom.fdi
    (NOTE: the destination file would be /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/10-wacom.fdi for Jaunty.
    Also, be sure there is only one wacom file in that directory - if you have both, 'rm' the one you don't need!)

(You could edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf at this point - I didn't - see Favux's post #384)

create (or edit) either /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/10-linuxwacom.fdi (if running Ubuntu Karmic)
    or /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/10-wacom.fdi (for Ubuntu Jaunty)

Replace the complete contents with the following (this is for my tablet, check Favux's post #384):

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->

<!-- Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch (models CTT-460 CTL-460 CTH-460,461,660) -->
    <deviceinfo version="0.2">
      <device>
        <match key="input.originating_device" contains="if0">
          <match key="info.product" contains="Wacom">
            <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">wacom</merge>
            <merge key="input.x11_options.Type" type="string">stylus</merge>
            <merge key="info.product" type="string">stylus</merge>
              <append key="info.callouts.add" type="strlist">hal-setup-wacom</append>
              <append key="wacom.types" type="strlist">eraser</append>
              <append key="wacom.types" type="strlist">pad</append>
          </match>
        </match>
      </device>
      <device>
        <match key="input.x11_options.Type" contains="eraser">
          <merge key="info.product" type="string">eraser</merge>
        </match>
      </device>
      <device>
        <match key="input.x11_options.Type" contains="pad">
          <merge key="info.product" type="string">pad</merge>
        </match>
      </device>
      <device>
        <match key="input.originating_device" contains="if1">
          <match key="info.product" contains="Wacom">
            <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">wacom</merge>
            <merge key="input.x11_options.Type" type="string">touch</merge>
            <merge key="info.product" type="string">touch</merge>
          </match>
        </match>
      </device>
    </deviceinfo>
    NOTE! According to my tests, this next step is needed whether using a fdi file or xorg.conf!

Determine the tablet's ID:

Code:
    # lsusb
    	Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    	Bus 002 Device 003: ID 056a:00d1 Wacom Co., Ltd 
    	Bus 002 Device 002: ID 045e:0737 Microsoft Corp. 
    (note that 00d1 above relates to next edit - your value may be different - see below in ATTRS line)

EDIT: dnprossi reports that the next steps (wget and cp) are not required if the insmod and depmod commands are successful (Thanks dnprossi )
    EDIT2: I still feel we need the next changes as you end up without devices in /dev/input (udev's job) so you have nothing to use for wacdump etc? Not sure tho. The jury is out on this one still. Note: At first I confused /etc/udev and lib/udev - use /lib/udev

If the 40-xserver-xorg-input-wacom.rules file doesn't exist, then do:

Code:
    # wget -O 50-xserver-xorg-input-wacom.rules "http://git.debian.org/?p=users/ron/wacom-tools.git;a=blob_plain;f=debian/xserver-xorg-input-wacom.udev;hb=e110b046292d6aff63b489c9b1aecec25d470cdb"
    then edit /lib/udev/rules.d/40-xserver-xorg-input-wacom.rules and on or about line 88 (@ end of a long list) insert this line:
    EDIT: change 00d1 to your ID from the previous lsusb command - if it's different

Code:
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="056a", ATTRS{idProduct}=="00d1", SYMLINK="input/tablet-wacom-bamboo-pen_touch-$env{WACOM_TYPE}"
    EDIT: And of course, put it in place (Thanks Ubunty )

Code:
    # cp 50-xserver-xorg-input-wacom.rules /lib/udev/rules.d/40-xserver-xorg-input-wacom.rules

That was about it... if you've been using a root shell...

Code:
    # exit
    else just...

Code:
    $ exit
    and reboot.

Post back if you have problems.

EDIT: Ha! Told you For others posting solutions, please let me know of errors or omissions and I'll edit. Best to PM me.
    Favux or Ayuthia, if you'd rather take (copy) and update this post, that would be fine with me also. I could edit and/or delete it then.
    EDIT: wrong URLs
    Last edited by kgingeri; March 11th, 2010 at 05:31 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile Re: New Wacom Bamboo not working

That worked f-l-a-w-l-e-s-s-l-y. Thanks kgingeri

With: -Ubuntu 9.10
    -Bamboo Pen (Bus 003 Device 002: ID 056a:00d4 Wacom Co., Ltd)

Small typo (for those who just copy-paste like me )
    tar -xjvf linuxwacom-0.8.4-3.tar.bz2

# wget -O 50-xserver-xorg-input-wacom.rules "http://git.debian.org/?p=users/ron/wacom-tools.git;a=blob_plain;f=debian/xserver-xorg-input-wacom.udev;hb=e110b046292d6aff63b489c9b1aecec25d47 0cdb"
    Thought I needed to copy this file, so
    cp 50-xserver-xorg-input-wacom.rules /lib/udev/rules.d/40-xserver-xorg-input-wacom.rules
    and the idProduct change did the trick !
    Last edited by Ubunty; November 7th, 2009 at 12:34 PM.

Beans

Hi to all,

# wget -O 50-xserver-xorg-input-wacom.rules "http://git.debian.org/?p=users/ron/wacom-tools.git;a=blob_plain;f=debian/xserver-xorg-input-wacom.udev;hb=e110b046292d6aff63b489c9b1aecec25d47 0cdb"
    The above is not needed if the following is done correctly.

# depmod -e
    If it is needed after reboot it means that wacom.ko has not started.

I do have mine running without xorg-rules now. Did need it before though because I couldn't get wacom.ko to start. Went crazy last night with fabux. This morning did the insmod and depmod and there it is working flawlessly...

Thanks kgingeri...

P.S. Gimp now works without having to activate stylus from preferences. Tablet recognized automatically....
    Last edited by dnprossi; November 7th, 2009 at 01:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

This place has been busy! I am thinking of creating a new post so that the instructions will be at the first post. Right now I am porting the code over to 0.8.5-1 since that is the most recent code released and where the patches will need to be submitted. There are quite a bit of changes in the code so I am trying to incorporate it all. The first run is mainly to get the stylus working first. Hopefully we can get the code working again with the eraser for all the devices and then start work on the touch.

My thought on the touch is to first remove the .fdi entry for the touch just to see if the touch data comes works from either the kernel module or from the /dev/input/eventX data. Once we are able to figure out where it is able to get some data, we can then fix either the kernel module and or the X Wacom module to get the touch working.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by kgingeri View Post
    Hi SeraphicRav,

NO! You don't want to. If you do, you'll likely have to do the 'apt-get install/purge ...' again. The program should have been there from your new compile of linuxwacom!

It probably means you missed installing something. Below is a list. Run them all and redo the build starting with .configure ....

Code:
    # apt-get update
      # apt-get install build-essential libx11-dev libxi-dev 
      # apt-get x11proto-input-dev xserver-xorg-dev tk8.4-dev tcl8.4-dev libncurses5-dev
    # apt-get install libhal-dev
    # apt-get upgrade
    replace '#' with 'sudo' ('#' is a root prompt) if you uncomfortable with a root terminal.
    Hi !

I have redone the build and now I have wacomcpl but I have nothing to select inside the wacom control panel. Is it normal for a bamboo pen ?

Hi Favux !
    Sorry, I didn't see your message.
    Last edited by SeraphicRav; November 7th, 2009 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeraphicRav View Post
    Hi !

I have redone the build and now I have wacomcpl but I have nothing to select inside the wacom control panel. Is it normal for a bamboo pen ?
    Hi SeraphicRav,

You are nearly there!

Think you need to execute the two lines of code below so that wacom.ko wil be initialized once you reboot.

Code:
    # depmod -e
    Cheers!!

Beans

Hi Ayuthia, again great work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    This place has been busy! I am thinking of creating a new post so that the instructions will be at the first post. Right now I am porting the code over to 0.8.5-1 since that is the most recent code released and where the patches will need to be submitted. There are quite a bit of changes in the code so I am trying to incorporate it all. The first run is mainly to get the stylus working first. Hopefully we can get the code working again with the eraser for all the devices and then start work on the touch.
    +1 - yes its rather growing out of control and a first updatable instructions up top would be rather helpful!

I think that eraser did not work because of some installation confusion risen by extended search on forum... Because it now works! Just an idea i made myself though! I'd like others to confirm.

My thought on the touch is to first remove the .fdi entry for the touch just to see if the touch data comes works from either the kernel module or from the /dev/input/eventX data. Once we are able to figure out where it is able to get some data, we can then fix either the kernel module and or the X Wacom module to get the touch working.
    Can't wait to test new stuff...
    Last edited by dnprossi; November 7th, 2009 at 04:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi dnprossi !

This is what I get when I do the given commands :
    Code:
    sudo depmod -e
    WARNING: -e needs -E or -F
    And when I launch wacomcpl, there is nothing to select.

(I have a Bambo pen)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeraphicRav View Post
    Hi dnprossi !

This is what I get when I do the given commands :
    Code:
    sudo depmod -e
    WARNING: -e needs -E or -F
    And when I launch wacomcpl, there is nothing to select.

(I have a Bambo pen)
    Above is correct... Just a warning but should have worked.

Did you reboot the computer before running wacomcpl????

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by dnprossi View Post
    Hi to all,

The above is not needed if the following is done correctly.

If it is needed after reboot it means that wacom.ko has not started.

I do have mine running without xorg-rules now. Did need it before though because I couldn't get wacom.ko to start. Went crazy last night with fabux. This morning did the insmod and depmod and there it is working flawlessly...

Thanks kgingeri...

P.S. Gimp now works without having to activate stylus from preferences. Tablet recognized automatically....

Sorry for being late but had to earn some money today.

I can confirm what dnprossi says:
    Removing the lines in xorg.conf stops the wacom.ko loading, i.e. xorg called for the module.

"sudo modprobe wacom" gives instantanious results whereas all is fine by simply adding "wacom" to /etc/modules to get it loaded at boot.

"sudo echo wacom >> /etc/modules" would be the easiest command to add to the HOWTO imho

Page 55 of 88 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast