Code:
    sudo modprobe -r wacom
    sudo modprobe wacom
    I don't know why.

Beans

Re: New Wacom Bamboo not working

Hi I'm using Karmic and I always got an error:
    make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-19-generic'
    make[3]: *** No rule to make target `programs/wacom'. Stop.

at the 'make' step. I don't know what it means. Could you pleas help me out.. Thanks a lot =)

Quote Originally Posted by kgingeri View Post
    An Overall log and HowTo up until now.
    Get ready - it's a long one.

NOTE! This was done on Ubuntu 9.10 (32 bit) Remix distro - fresh install. It may not work for anything else, however I am fairly confident that it is generic. One difference is the 10-wacom.fdi file is called 10-linuxwacom.fdi in Karmic.
    EDIT: This also uses linuxwacom-0.8.4-3 which is not the most current. Keep an eye out for an update to the latest linuxwacom.

EDIT: It likely goes without saying, BUT just to be sure...
    THIS IS NOT MY WORK! Although I have had a small part to play, the faithful here are Favux and Ayuthia (may this be a tribute =D>)
    Many of the rest of us test and report or try new things to add to the mix. It is team work at it's best. Thanks everyone!

Also, the '#'s are root shell prompts from the 'sudo bash' command. You can use 'sudo' commands instead - if you'd rather not be in a root bash shell. for editing, I use 'vi' but 'gksudo gedit' works better if you don't know the vi editor. I'm from the old school

One more thing - I'll likely need to make edits, so check back. I will mark edits carefully.

in Terminal...

Code:
    $ sudo bash
    Password: *********
    Code:
    # apt-get update
    EDIT: skip next 2 lines for Karmic (thanks Dnprossi)
    # apt-get install wacom-tools xserver-xorg-input-wacom
    # apt-get purge wacom-tools xserver-xorg-input-wacom
    # apt-get install build-essential libx11-dev libxi-dev x11proto-input-dev 
    # apt-get install xserver-xorg-dev tk8.4-dev tcl8.4-dev libncurses5-dev
    # apt-get install libhal-dev
    # apt-get upgrade
    If running Ubuntu Karmic Remix or other minimal distro, you may have to do:

Code:
    # wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git-repos/ubuntu/linux-2.6/drivers/hid/hid-ids.h
    # cp ./hid-ids.h /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/drivers/hid/hid-ids.h
    # apt-get install patch
    see Ayuthia's Patches For LinuxWacom post #144, for a full how to BEFORE the doing the next steps.
    You may not need them all.
    EDIT: The following file does not appear available any longer. It can be accessed here (Thanks James-)
    See above EDIT
    After downloading linuxwacom-.8.4-3.tar.bz2 from http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/index.php/dl and Ayuthia's patches...
    Code:
    # tar -xjvf linuxwacom-0.8.4-3.tar.bz2
    # tar -xjvf wcm2_patch.tar.bz2        
    # cp wcm2_patch/*.patch linuxwacom-0.8.4-3/     
    # cd linuxwacom-0.8.4-3/
    EDIT: Previous typo in tar command (Thanks dnprossi )

Each of the following should execute without output...

Code:
    # patch -p1 < wacomcpl-exec.patch
    # patch -p1 < wacom_sys.c.patch
    # patch -p1 < wacom_wac.c.patch
    # patch -p1 < wacom_wac.h.patch
    # patch -p1 < wactablet.h.patch
    # patch -p1 < wacusb.c.patch
    # patch -p1 < wcmUSB.c.patch
    (there's lots of output but there should be no errors at the end of each of the next steps)
    EDIT: Note that the next step is for my kernel version - i.e. you may need 2.6.28 instead of 2.6.31

Code:
    # make clean
    # ./configure --enable-wacom --prefix=/usr
    # make
    # make install
    # cp src/2.6.31/wacom.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/
    Next, because the module was never used (if it was, use 'rmmod wacom' first)...

Code:
    # insmod /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko
    # depmod -e
    EDIT: you'll get a warning here in Karmic re "WARNING: -e needs -E or -F" - disregard

I got Favux's fdi file Favux_Bamboo-Pen&Touch-working_10-wacom.fdi.txt from post #384 and did

EDIT: Typo in next file name - missed "Favux_..." - how could I!?
    Code:
    # cp Favux_Bamboo-Pen\&Touch-working_10-wacom.fdi.txt /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/10-linuxwacom.fdi
    (NOTE: the destination file would be /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/10-wacom.fdi for Jaunty.
    Also, be sure there is only one wacom file in that directory - if you have both, 'rm' the one you don't need!)

(You could edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf at this point - I didn't - see Favux's post #384)

create (or edit) either /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/10-linuxwacom.fdi (if running Ubuntu Karmic)
    or /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/10-wacom.fdi (for Ubuntu Jaunty)

Replace the complete contents with the following (this is for my tablet, check Favux's post #384):

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->

<!-- Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch (models CTT-460 CTL-460 CTH-460,461,660) -->
    <deviceinfo version="0.2">
      <device>
        <match key="input.originating_device" contains="if0">
          <match key="info.product" contains="Wacom">
            <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">wacom</merge>
            <merge key="input.x11_options.Type" type="string">stylus</merge>
            <merge key="info.product" type="string">stylus</merge>
              <append key="info.callouts.add" type="strlist">hal-setup-wacom</append>
              <append key="wacom.types" type="strlist">eraser</append>
              <append key="wacom.types" type="strlist">pad</append>
          </match>
        </match>
      </device>
      <device>
        <match key="input.x11_options.Type" contains="eraser">
          <merge key="info.product" type="string">eraser</merge>
        </match>
      </device>
      <device>
        <match key="input.x11_options.Type" contains="pad">
          <merge key="info.product" type="string">pad</merge>
        </match>
      </device>
      <device>
        <match key="input.originating_device" contains="if1">
          <match key="info.product" contains="Wacom">
            <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">wacom</merge>
            <merge key="input.x11_options.Type" type="string">touch</merge>
            <merge key="info.product" type="string">touch</merge>
          </match>
        </match>
      </device>
    </deviceinfo>
    NOTE! According to my tests, this next step is needed whether using a fdi file or xorg.conf!

Determine the tablet's ID:

Code:
    # lsusb
    	Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    	Bus 002 Device 003: ID 056a:00d1 Wacom Co., Ltd 
    	Bus 002 Device 002: ID 045e:0737 Microsoft Corp. 
    (note that 00d1 above relates to next edit - your value may be different - see below in ATTRS line)

EDIT: dnprossi reports that the next steps (wget and cp) are not required if the insmod and depmod commands are successful (Thanks dnprossi )
    EDIT2: I still feel we need the next changes as you end up without devices in /dev/input (udev's job) so you have nothing to use for wacdump etc? Not sure tho. The jury is out on this one still. Note: At first I confused /etc/udev and lib/udev - use /lib/udev

If the 40-xserver-xorg-input-wacom.rules file doesn't exist, then do:

Code:
    # wget -O 50-xserver-xorg-input-wacom.rules "http://git.debian.org/?p=users/ron/wacom-tools.git;a=blob_plain;f=debian/xserver-xorg-input-wacom.udev;hb=e110b046292d6aff63b489c9b1aecec25d470cdb"
    then edit /lib/udev/rules.d/40-xserver-xorg-input-wacom.rules and on or about line 88 (@ end of a long list) insert this line:
    EDIT: change 00d1 to your ID from the previous lsusb command - if it's different

Code:
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="056a", ATTRS{idProduct}=="00d1", SYMLINK="input/tablet-wacom-bamboo-pen_touch-$env{WACOM_TYPE}"
    EDIT: And of course, put it in place (Thanks Ubunty )

Code:
    # cp 50-xserver-xorg-input-wacom.rules /lib/udev/rules.d/40-xserver-xorg-input-wacom.rules

That was about it... if you've been using a root shell...

Code:
    # exit
    else just...

Code:
    $ exit
    and reboot.

Post back if you have problems.

EDIT: Ha! Told you For others posting solutions, please let me know of errors or omissions and I'll edit. Best to PM me.
    Favux or Ayuthia, if you'd rather take (copy) and update this post, that would be fine with me also. I could edit and/or delete it then.
    EDIT: wrong URLs

Beans

I solved it =)

Took some times for a noob like me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by Angewandte View Post
    I solved it =)

Took some times for a noob like me
    Ha, great work. Sounds like you where missing kernel source maybe.
    Glad you got it working.

I think the linuxwacom.org project is coming along tho so see Favux's msg here #736 for some good links.
    Last edited by kgingeri; March 4th, 2010 at 05:05 AM.

Beans

Hi kgingeri

Kernel source? I think I'm still missing it. First I did make and make install and all the following steps after that without any error but nothing seems to work until now.

There's not a 'wacom' when I typed 'xinput --list' but, somehow, when I typed 'lsusb' the wacom device was shown there..

Could you please explain a bit more about this kernel source. Is it the same as the kernel header? How can I get it?

I know a couple of commands that may get me the kernel source, for e.g. 'apt-get source linux-image-$(uname -r)' but since I'm not experienced I want to ask someone first if doing this is safe enough or not..

Thanks =)

Beans

Ha, great work. Sounds like you where missing kernel source maybe.
    Glad you got it working.

I think the linuxwacom.org project is coming along tho so see Favux's msg here #736 for some good links.
    Hi kgingeri

Kernel source? I think I'm still missing it. First I did make and make install and all the following steps after that without any error but nothing seems to work until now.

There's not a 'wacom' when I typed 'xinput --list' but, somehow, when I typed 'lsusb' the wacom device was shown there..

Could you please explain a bit more about this kernel source. Is it the same as the kernel header? How can I get it?

I know a couple of commands that may get me the kernel source, for e.g. 'apt-get source linux-image-$(uname -r)' but since I'm not experienced I want to ask someone first if doing this is safe enough or not..

Thanks =)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Angewandte,

Kernel "headers" are source, just not all of it. Sometimes you need the complete source 'tree' (folders and sub folders) to compile specific things for the kernel - like drivers. All that said, I can't remember if the complete source is needed (your missing was a guess, as your compile error implied a "make" files was missing, hense maybe source?). An "Image" is a precompiled kernel or driver, which doesn't require 'Making" or compiling.

Like I said tho, you really are better off following Favux's links in post #736 - as these instructions of mine are very dated and have not been updated.

Non the less to answer your question, a handy command for finding packages is:
    Code:
    $ apt-cache search linux-source
    linux-source - Linux kernel source with Ubuntu patches
    linux-source-2.6.31 - Linux kernel source for version 2.6.31 with Ubuntu patches
    linux-source-2.6.32 - Linux kernel source for version 2.6.32 with Ubuntu patches
    so...
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install linux-source-2.6.32
    would get you the latest kernel source AND is certainly not dangerous

If you have things working ok, then I'd leave things as they are.
    Last edited by kgingeri; March 4th, 2010 at 07:10 PM. Reason: corrections

Beans

Hi kgingeri,

Thank you! ^__^

I'll try that out and let you know.

Angewandte,

Kernel "headers" are source, just not all of it. Sometimes you need the complete source 'tree' (folders and sub folders) to compile specific things for the kernel - like drivers. All that said, I can't remember if the complete source is needed (your missing was a guess, as your compile error implied a "make" files was missing, hense maybe source?). An "Image" is a precompiled kernel or driver, which doesn't require 'Making" or compiling.

Like I said tho, you really are better off following Favux's links in post #736 - as these instructions of mine are very dated and have not been updated.

Non the less to answer your question, a handy command for finding packages is:
    Code:
    $ apt-cache search linux-source
    linux-source - Linux kernel source with Ubuntu patches
    linux-source-2.6.31 - Linux kernel source for version 2.6.31 with Ubuntu patches
    linux-source-2.6.32 - Linux kernel source for version 2.6.32 with Ubuntu patches
    so...
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install linux-source-2.6.32
    would get you the latest kernel source AND is certainly not dangerous

If you have things working ok, then I'd leave things as they are.

Beans

Hi again kgingeri =)

Now I'm following your suggestion to follow Favux's guides starting from post #376..

I'm still getting the same error.. '*** No rule to make target `tablet/linuxwacom-0.8.5-10/src/2.6.27' when I run the 'make' command.

The good thing is that I think I get one step closer to get it worked ..

I found out that when I run './configure' it says (under the BUILD ENVIRONMENT): linux kernel - yes 2.6.27

However, when I run the command 'uname -r' I got '2.6.31-19-generic'.

I think the driver from Favux and my computer are looking at two different kernel?

I look in the folder ~/linuxwacom-0.8.5-10/src and there are many different supports for different kernel version including 2.6.27 but there's no 2.6.31-19-generic.

Could you please suggest how can I get the driver agree with the current kernel I'm using?

Thank you!

p.s. I also downloaded the latest kernel source using the command you suggested. It was downloaded in the form of .tar.gz and was saved in /usr/src but there seemed to be no new installation of it. Curious though, the newest version the search found was 2.6.31 and that's what I already have..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by Angewandte View Post
    Hi again kgingeri =)

Now I'm following your suggestion to follow Favux's guides starting from post #376..

I'm still getting the same error.. '*** No rule to make target `tablet/linuxwacom-0.8.5-10/src/2.6.27' when I run the 'make' command.

The good thing is that I think I get one step closer to get it worked ..

I found out that when I run './configure' it says (under the BUILD ENVIRONMENT): linux kernel - yes 2.6.27

However, when I run the command 'uname -r' I got '2.6.31-19-generic'.

I think the driver from Favux and my computer are looking at two different kernel?

I look in the folder ~/linuxwacom-0.8.5-10/src and there are many different supports for different kernel version including 2.6.27 but there's no 2.6.31-19-generic.

Could you please suggest how can I get the driver agree with the current kernel I'm using?
    Hmmm, not sure what to tell you.

Favux, are you still watching this thread - any idea's?

Angewandte, you may want to try to PM Favux. It may be something to do with 64 bit stuff - not sure.

It has been a while since I've dealt with all this. I bought an Asus T91MT in December and have been quite involved in getting it all setup right, so I haven't tried to reinstall the Wacom's yet. This T91MT is a multi-touch convertible netbook tablet, so my need for the Wacom table is not as great - tho I do want to be able to use it as it has better controls for pressure etc.

Page 75 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast