Page 49 of 88 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: New Wacom Bamboo not working

Beans

Re: New Wacom Bamboo not working

Hi Lucretia9

I'd completely forgotten about the 60-wacom.rules file, actually, but there it sits, in /etc/udev/rules.d, probably key to the level of operation that I have with my CTH-460.

Anyway, I think you should be getting more from your device than you are. My eraser works fine with pressure once configured properly, so I'm not sure why yours wouldn't be.

Attached is my 60-wacom.rules file, which you can copy into /etc/udev/rules.d/50-wacom.rules as-is, I should think. The fdi file (the alt-touch_test3 one from post #384?) might need to be saved as 10-wacom.fdi, depending on which version of Ubuntu you're running.

Also, you'll need to install hal-dev to get the hal-setup-wacom file to be made during the make process.

That's all I can think of off-hand to check. Let me know if any of it changes anything!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi Lucretia9,

Welcome to the thread.

where it mentions the linuxwacom-0.8.4-3/src/util/60-wacom.rules file, which doesn't have a line for the P&T (0xd1), am I supposed to have this installed somewhere?
    No you don't need it, I think. That's for constructing a wacom symlink if you are using the xorg.conf.

You're xinput and Xorg.0.log show that the linuxwacom driver is attaching to your tablet.
    I'm finding the pen weird to use due to the entire tablet representing the screen rather than the window
    That might mean the stylus is in Relative rather than Absolute mode. It sounds like you know how to set up Gimp but just in case there's instructions near the bottom of the Wacom wiki.

I don't think Ayuthia has the eraser working for your model right now.

Right now the .fdi you are using is setting up what I think is the touch part of your lshal as a stylus. For an alt .fdi and some more information you could check out post #384.

Beans

I don't think Ayuthia has the eraser working for your model right now.
    Mmmm, I think he does. I might have missed something, but I think I'm using the same Wacom device as Lucretia9 (the CTH-460), and I have a perfectly working eraser. The only minor bug is the upward and leftward movement of the pointer when the stylus is lifted out of range (which I think is pretty minor, given I'll never place the pointer back in exactly the same place anyway).

I actually recompiled from a freshly downloaded wcm2_patch just in case I wasn't using the most recent one.

Would there be any kernel-based reason why we'd be getting different behaviour? Though it sounds like maybe he's using a different fdi than I am.

Lucretia9, actually, watch that you copy the fdi in after you run "make install", as the make install puts an less useful fdi in place.

Also, the tablet will normally represent the screen rather than the window. In (the default) Absolute mode, each point on the tablet corresponds to a point (or really small area) on the screen. I doubt it's possible for that to dynamically change for each window or canvas you're using, so I suspect the behaviour you're seeing is actually normal for a properly configured stylus.

I'm just thinking - when you say the eraser doesn't work, do you mean that it doesn't erase, or do you mean that it doesn't move the pointer at all? A mistake I made before, because I never had a stylus with an eraser, was expecting it to erase by default. The GIMP will effectively treat it like another pen, but will keep tool-bindings so that if you have the nib of the stylus set to the pencil tool, for example, you can set the eraser end to the eraser tool, and then each end will keep doing its own thing from then on. If that makes any sense. (Also, you'll want to tick the "Save input settings on exit" box in the "Input Devices" dialog box.)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by marek_online View Post
    Mmmm, I think he does. I might have missed something, but I think I'm using the same Wacom device as Lucretia9 (the CTH-460), and I have a perfectly working eraser. The only minor bug is the upward and leftward movement of the pointer when the stylus is lifted out of range (which I think is pretty minor, given I'll never place the pointer back in exactly the same place anyway).

I actually recompiled from a freshly downloaded wcm2_patch just in case I wasn't using the most recent one.

Would there be any kernel-based reason why we'd be getting different behaviour? Though it sounds like maybe he's using a different fdi than I am.

Lucretia9, actually, watch that you copy the fdi in after you run "make install", as the make install puts an less useful fdi in place.

Also, the tablet will normally represent the screen rather than the window. In (the default) Absolute mode, each point on the tablet corresponds to a point (or really small area) on the screen. I doubt it's possible for that to dynamically change for each window or canvas you're using, so I suspect the behaviour you're seeing is actually normal for a properly configured stylus.

I'm just thinking - when you say the eraser doesn't work, do you mean that it doesn't erase, or do you mean that it doesn't move the pointer at all? A mistake I made before, because I never had a stylus with an eraser, was expecting it to erase by default. The GIMP will effectively treat it like another pen, but will keep tool-bindings so that if you have the nib of the stylus set to the pencil tool, for example, you can set the eraser end to the eraser tool, and then each end will keep doing its own thing from then on. If that makes any sense. (Also, you'll want to tick the "Save input settings on exit" box in the "Input Devices" dialog box.)
    I think that you are the only one with that device that has a working eraser. TheguywholikesLINUX, kgingeri, and possibly Lucretia9 are not getting the eraser to work.

Can you do me a favor and compare your current patch with the patch that is in post 144 just to be sure that they are the same?

Also, can you let me know which .fdi file you are using? I am thinking about creating a temporary patch that will install that version.

Beans

Can you do me a favor and compare your current patch with the patch that is in post 144 just to be sure that they are the same?
    Darn, sorry - but I deleted my older copy of the patch. I downloaded wcm2_patch from post #144 and recompiled this afternoon, after reading that Lucretia9 didn't have a working eraser either, to see if maybe I wasn't using the most up-to-date patch. I've still got a working eraser though.

Is there any way of figuring out whether I've messed up the installation and am still using an older patch somehow?

I've attached logs, and the fdi file I'm using. I'm now using Karmic, and the 2.6.31-14-generic kernel.

(Sorry Favux! Didn't mean to contradict you improperly there, didn't realise I was quite the only one with a working eraser.)

EDIT:
    For the sake of completeness, these are the steps I'm using to make and install the driver.
    Code:
    rm -rf linuxwacom-0.8.4-3                                                                                     
    rm -rf wcm2_patch                                                                                             
    tar -xjvf linuxwacom-0.8.4-3.tar.bz2                                                                          
    tar -xjvf wcm2_patch.tar.bz2                                                                                  
    cp wcm2_patch/* linuxwacom-0.8.4-3/                                                                           
    cd linuxwacom-0.8.4-3/                                                                    
    patch -p1 < wacomcpl-exec.patch                                                                               
    patch -p1 < wacom_sys.c.patch                                                                                 
    patch -p1 < wacom_wac.c.patch                                                                                 
    patch -p1 < wacom_wac.h.patch                                                                                 
    patch -p1 < wactablet.h.patch
    patch -p1 < wacusb.c.patch
    patch -p1 < wcmUSB.c.patch
    make clean
    ./configure --enable-wacom --prefix=/usr
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo cp src/2.6.31/wacom.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/
    sudo cp ../10-linuxwacom.fdi /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/10-linuxwacom.fdi # I keep this file in the same folder as the source tars
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by marek_online; November 4th, 2009 at 09:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi marek_online,

Don't worry about it. To say that I get confused too would be an understatement.

That looks like my alt.touch test2 .fdi without the CommonDBG lines I added to the test3 version in post #384. That may solve the mystery. Did using more than one CommonDBG line break the eraser I wonder? Or using them in combination with DebugLevel?

Beans

That looks like my alt.touch test2 .fdi without the CommonDBG lines I added to the test3 version in post #384. That may solve the mystery. Did using more than one CommonDBG line break the eraser I wonder? Or using them in combination with DebugLevel?
    Ah. Looks like I got my fdi version confused a while ago somehow. Sorry about that. Well, hopefully some good will come of it!

Edit:
    Hmmm, nope. Re-downloaded the alt.touch_test3 from post #384, copied into place, rebooted. Still have a working eraser.
    Last edited by marek_online; November 4th, 2009 at 10:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi marek_online,

Oh definitely. It would be a good thing if you played with the test3 version of alt.touch and figured out which of the debugging lines is breaking eraser. Then I could post a test4 that works!

Edit: Darn. That would have been too easy I guess.
    Last edited by Favux; November 4th, 2009 at 10:09 PM.

Beans

(previous-message Ayuthia)
    From the Xorg.0.log file, the device has not been found yet. That
    usually means that either the .fdi file is not configured quite right
    yet or else the wacom kernel module has not been loaded. Which
    version of the .fdi file are you using? Can you e-mail me a copy of
    the results of:
    lshal
    dmesg|grep wacom
    They might help explain what is happening.

If you need a faster response, you can add a post to that thread. The
    group there have been pretty responsive. Favux has been keeping up
    with it also and he does a great job with getting people configured
    with the Wacom devices.

Hi Ayuthia,

couldn't apt-get or use Ishal and dmesg | grep wacom returned nothing, remember I'm still a new boy See .fdi file listed below ...

/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/10linuxwacom.fdi

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
    <!-- this is probably a bit imprecise -->
    <deviceinfo version="0.2">
    <device>
    <match key="info.category" contains="input">
    <match key="info.product" contains_outof="Wacom">
    <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">wacom</merge>
    <merge key="input.x11_options.Type" type="string">stylus</merge>
    <append key="info.callouts.add" type="strlist">hal-setup-wacom</append>
    <append key="wacom.types" type="strlist">eraser</append>
    <append key="wacom.types" type="strlist">cursor</append>
    <append key="wacom.types" type="strlist">pad</append>
    </match>
    </match>
    <match key="info.capabilities" contains="serial">
    <match key="@info.parentnp.id" contains_outof="WACf001;WACf002;WACf003;WACf004;WA Cf005;WACf006;WACf007;WACf008;WACf009;WACf00a;WACf 00b;WACf00c;FUJ02e5">
    <append key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">input</append>
    <merge key="input.x11_options.ForceDevice" type="string">ISDV4</merge>
    <merge key="input.device" type="copy_property">serial.device</merge>
    <match key="@info.parentnp.id" contains_outof="WACf008;WACf009">
    <!-- Serial tablets with touch capabilities -->
    <append key="wacom.types" type="strlist">touch</append>
    </match>
    </match>
    </match>
    </device>
    <!-- Match the Wacom Bluetooth A5 pen tablet -->
    <device>
    <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.mouse">
    <match key="info.product" contains="WACOM">
    <match key="info.product" contains="Tablet">
    <append key="wacom.types" type="strlist">cursor</append>
    </match>
    </match>
    </match>
    </device>
    </deviceinfo>

Beans
    Distro

Hi tekamoda,

Welcome to Ubuntu Forums!

Did you patch and compile linuxwacom 0.8.3-4 yet? See Ayuthia's post #144.

The .fdi you posted is the default wacom.fdi. Which version of Ubuntu are you using?

Try the alt.touch_test3 .fdi or the working .fdi in post #384.

Hope this helps.

Page 49 of 88 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast