Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Update Firefox to 1.5.0.1 and change the logo to the real one at the same time

Beans

HOWTO: Update Firefox to 1.5.0.1 and change the logo to the real one at the same time

To change the Firefox logo and upgrade Firefox to 1.5.0.1 at the same time, execute the following commands:

Code:
    sudo su -
    apt-get install libstdc++5
    cd /usr/lib
    rm -rf mozilla-firefox
    wget http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.5.0.1/linux-i686/en-GB/firefox-1.5.0.1.tar.gz
    tar xzvf firefox-1.5.0.1.tar.gz 
    rm firefox-1.5.0.1.tar.gz
    mv firefox mozilla-firefox
    exit
    Don't forget to restart firefox as soon as this is done!

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Update Firefox to 1.5.0.1 and change the logo to the real one at the same

Thanks a lot, this helped me

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: HOWTO: Update Firefox to 1.5.0.1 and change the logo to the real one at the same

i just wanted to point out that this guide doesn't work if you installed firefox 1.5 using automatix. it installs to /opt/firefox/ not /usr/lib/ so it doesn't use the mozilla-firefox folder. if you could provide instructions for upgrading using automiatx's install i think that would really benefit a lot of people.

Beans

If I run
    'whereis firefox' iI get /usr/bin as opposed to /usr/lib. Presumably this is the directory I need to use instead of /usr/lib?

dvrs.

Beans

Question Re: HOWTO: Update Firefox to 1.5.0.1 and change the logo to the real one at the same

dear friends,

can i download firefox tar.gz file on my pc, and then install it on ubuntu ?

i the answer is true, how can i uninstall previous release ?

thanks. all

Beans

No, the files are still (should be) in /usr/lib. whereis command finds only the executable...

Another question, I installed firefox using automatix and moved all of the data from /opt/firefox to /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox... should the update work?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by m.h.shams
    dear friends,

can i download firefox tar.gz file on my pc, and then install it on ubuntu ?

i the answer is true, how can i uninstall previous release ?

thanks. all
    how did you install your previous version? with automatix or adept?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by afx
    how did you install your previous version? with automatix or adept?

i just install ubuntu, today. and firefox 1.0.7 was installed with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by afx
    No, the files are still (should be) in /usr/lib. whereis command finds only the executable...

Another question, I installed firefox using automatix and moved all of the data from /opt/firefox to /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox... should the update work?

afx, i did this earlier. and to make a long story short it hosed firefox. i just finished restoring my computer from a backup. gotta love those backups.

that's why i posted earlier asking for help, cause i used automatix too.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Just commenting on one thing about this tutorial, in fact, When a user begin to use ubuntu and specially if he is already a linux user and knows all about su, the command "sudo su -" will remind him of that, and he may end up using su after setting a root password, so let's forget all about su, and use "sudo -s -H" instead, it is not hard to keep it in mind and at least, the user will stay happy and will never go back to su...

-IMHO
    [My Blog] | [My Sites] | [My Ubuntu Guides]

doc.gwos.org, the real successor of Ubuntu Guide

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast