Thread: iMac5,1 won't boot live cd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Angry iMac5,1 won't boot live cd

Hi everyone,

I've unsuccessfully attempted to boot both the jaunty and karmic live cd on an iMac5,1. It gets past the language screen, allows me to choose settings (eg: acpi=off) but when I choose "Try out Ubuntu without changing your system" the system hangs leaving no option but a hard reset.

The system has refit installed and Tiger as the main os with Leopard on an external hard drive.

Does anyone have any idea as to why the cd will not boot. I am using the x86 version as opposed to x64.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: iMac5,1 won't boot live cd

Quote Originally Posted by Tommerz View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've unsuccessfully attempted to boot both the jaunty and karmic live cd on an iMac5,1. It gets past the language screen, allows me to choose settings (eg: acpi=off) but when I choose "Try out Ubuntu without changing your system" the system hangs leaving no option but a hard reset.

The system has refit installed and Tiger as the main os with Leopard on an external hard drive.

Does anyone have any idea as to why the cd will not boot. I am using the x86 version as opposed to x64.
    I have the same model as you do. Uninstall refit and then try it, since I have not tried refit or got it running. It should not matter whether it is i386 (the x86 version) or amd64 (x64 version), although you can run the x64 because your processor should be x64 compatible.