View Poll Results: Do you think KDE should take over gnome-shell, and gnome back to normal?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I like how gnome-shell is going

22 40.00%
  • Yes, get rid of gnome-shell, and give it to KDE

13 23.64%
  • Don't care

20 36.36%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gnome-shell to KDE, gnome back to normal. Please?

NoaHall is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Gnome-shell to KDE, gnome back to normal. Please?

Okay, there have been a lot of threads about KDE and gnome-shell recently. How about this, I think gnome-shell should be given to KDE, and then the gnome developers should get back on track with sanity.
    No more crazy interfaces that's going to spoil everything, no more driving away your users. Just good clean gnome. Not nonsense gnome-shell.

As my physics teacher said, downstairs for dancing, upstairs for thinking. So how about some thinking, and a little less dancing.

(Pssst, not meant to start a flame war, just sharing my thoughts, as Hoppi has been doing._. (look Hoppi, I'm you now ^.^) )

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Gnome-shell to KDE, gnome back to normal. Please?

Someone should add a pool ( actually, it's already there ), as many of us would vote for stability, not a bunch of new features, which may lead into switching to another DE.
    Last edited by OpenGuard; October 12th, 2009 at 04:34 PM.

Beans

I saw a screenshot of plasma+gnome-shell, looked pretty awesome.
    Are you a trumpet player?
    'On vacation for the week. In Yosemite National Park. A sign on the road said, “Speeding kills bears.” And all I can think is, “Who let them drive in the first place?"' -Stephan Pastis

Beans
    Hidden!

Thinking isn't all that great.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Well, if you don't think about your User base and your target market, then thinking just isn't your thing. Not to say the gnome developers weren't thinking, but they certainly weren't thinking of their current user base.

Beans

I want whatever you're on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm not on anything. I'd say you are, if you think gnome-shell is a step forward for gnome's users. It doesn't say much for Ubuntu's member's relations with their users if they dare to falsely imply that their users are on drugs.
    Last edited by NoaHall; October 12th, 2009 at 05:41 PM.

Beans

I like it, but it needs serious work before it is properly usable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by NoaHall View Post
    I'm not on anything. I'd say you are, if you think gnome-shell is a step forward for gnome's users. It doesn't say much for Ubuntu's member's relations with their users if they dare to falsely imply that their users are on drugs.
    +1 on this.

Beans

I'm not on anything.
    I can guess you're probably not on drugs, since you're typing on a keyboard posting to a web forum; it's a figure of speech that I thought wouldn't be interpreted so literally and could be taken lightly, but obviously I was wrong.

[insert statement on difficulty of written communication with people one doesn't know]

I'd say you are, if you think gnome-shell is a step forward for gnome's users.
    I think GNOME Shell has the potential to be a step forward overall. It has to and will undergo significant changes before that happens, and it's pretty incomplete yet, so I find it a waste of time to speculate too much on its present state as if it were directly indicative of its final form, and make up technically unfeasible fantasies such as "giving" it to other projects. And I don't think this position entails being "on drugs" either.

From the 2.28 release notes:

This is still a VERY EARLY version of GNOME Shell and should not be
    taken of indicative of the final user interface or performance.
    It doesn't say much for Ubuntu's member's relations with their users if they dare to falsely imply that their users are on drugs.
    Sorry, this didn't come across as I intended it to; I believe I made my point a bit clearer now.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast