Thread: Bios timer not connected bug/error

Beans

Bios timer not connected bug/error

Perhaps my laptop was like this before the HD crashed, but I just started noticing the error.

When the hd was crashed and i booted it I read the message that popped up upon booting (message was hard to read because it pops up so quickly upon booting and goes away before one can read and write down the entire message).

I was told by a Geeksquad person that if I replace the HD then the BIOS would then understand that the BIOS is ok.

Well, I replaced the bad HD with a new one and the message still pops up quickly - something about BIOS error (or BIOS bug or BIOS problem) and also says something like timer not connected" but again mssg goes away so quickly one can't read it entirely.

But nothing other than this message is a problem - the computer even keeps the correct time and date.

I also just put a new battery in this Dell laptop. I have read on the net where some Dell models will have an unstable BIOS with a fully charged battery - and my Dell laptop hasn't had a fully charged battery for years until now.

?
    Last edited by mjp29; October 12th, 2009 at 01:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Bios timer not connected bug/error

As this appears to be BIOS message it won't be available in any Linux log file etc.
    However, you might be able to catch it by filming the screen with a digital camera and then playing back/pausing/stepping the resulting film. Obviously use the equiptment/settings which give you the best frame rate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mjp29 View Post
    (...) but again mssg goes away so quickly one can't read it entirely.(...)
    I guess you can use the "Pause | Break" key to make the BIOS message pause/stop so you can read it.
    Ubuntu user 27.973 : Linux user 492.713 : Free as in GNU/Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

You might need to hold down Ctrl when you hit Break for it to work.

Also, you probably have two working hard-drives. Check out RAID configuration to get a little bit more storage space (precious on any computer).

Beans

"mp bios bug 8254 timer not connect to io-apic" is what it says

anyone know what it means?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

There's a currently open Ubuntu bug which appears to match this:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/283489

If it's not actually causing a problem (Ubuntu running reliably etc.) then I'd suggest leaving it but checking back on this bug from time to time.

Also, if you google your error message, there is lots of information about this message going back a few years with possible workarounds. But the workarounds might have negative effects so may not be a good idea unless you are getting real problems beyond just the message displaying.
    Last edited by mikechant; October 13th, 2009 at 02:50 PM. Reason: add last para