Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 96% of Public Sector in France using Open Source.

Beans
    Hidden!

96% of Public Sector in France using Open Source.

http://www.osor.eu/news/fr-almost-en...ng-open-source

Almost the entire public sector, 96 percent, is using open source, says a French market survey. The most used applications are database management systems and content management systems.

http://www.unixmen.com/news-today/44...es-open-source

Dutch Police going Open source as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: 96% of Public Sector in France using Open Source.

Great! Countries can make big savings by using Free and Open Source Software... Not only because of price, but for less maintenance, cheaper maintenance, and need of fewer hardware renewals.

Brazil's government, if I'm not mistaken, has begun the change of the whole public sector of the country to free and open source software as well. Maybe it's already finished, but I'm not sure. No doubt it's a big victory.
    João Paulo Melo de Sampaio
    Computer Engineering Student @ UFSCar
    Site: http://www.jpmelos.com
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jpmelos (@jpmelos)

Beans
    Hidden!

Its a good precedence, India and China are also following suit. The LSE's recent switch to Linux was a great shot in the back for open source as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Arup View Post
    Its a good precedence, India and China are also following suit. The LSE's recent switch to Linux was a great shot in the back for open source as well.
    India's public sector is nowhere NEAR switching over to open-source.

Switching over to open source requires a commitment (at least on paper) for government support.

Just using a linux mail-server and linux-based router devices does not mean that open source is gaining.

The BJP Government had/has strong plans for open source. The current government has no specific plans for implementing open source (or if it does, it's keeping it a close secret).

btw, I hope you mean precedent for "precedence" and "a pat on the back" or "shot in the arm" instead of "a great shot in the back". (Mixed metaphors).
    Last edited by prshah; October 12th, 2009 at 07:57 AM.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by prshah View Post
    India's public sector is nowhere NEAR switching over to open-source.

Switching over to open source requires a commitment (at least on paper) for government support.

Just using a linux mail-server and linux-based router devices does not mean that open source is gaining.

The BJP Government had/has strong plans for open source. The current government has no specific plans for implementing open source (or if it does, it's keeping it a close secret).

btw, I hope you mean precedent for "precedence" and "a pat on the back" or "shot in the arm" instead of "a great shot in the back". (Mixed metaphors).
    http://www.networkcomputing.in/News-...M-B-study.aspx

Things are changing, hopefully for good.

Beans
    Distro

http://www.networkcomputing.in/News-...M-B-study.aspx

Things are changing, hopefully for good.
    Did you actually read the report "Economic Impact of Free and Open Source software – A Study in India"? (The linked article is a report of the report).

It does not have a roadmap for implementation, or any specific recommendations. It's figures are a joke (Rs 10,000 for a desktop Windows operating system?)

It essentially just says "IF public sector enterprises switch to open source it will save xxx crores rupees". It's logic and methodology is flawed; for example, it says that organizations can save Rs 10,000 per Operating system license; but that (unrealistic) expense is already made and cannot be unmade; the savings will appear only on new hardware purchases; and no organization is going to purchase 30,000 new machines.

It means to say that this amount COULD have been saved.

There is no plan, roadmap, or government initiative. Don't be taken in by what you read.

The article further screws up by talking about RETAIL PC sales, when it should talk about INSTITUTIONAL PC sales.
    Last edited by prshah; October 12th, 2009 at 09:02 AM.
    Cheers,PRShah

Beans
    Hidden!

Well and you believe in what your read? Where and how are you basing your opinions from as to decry an institution like IIM's report. Traveling in Kerala, I was surprised to see Linux on many desktops across goverment offices. With prices of MS products shooting up, implementation of strict anti piracy measures in place, I forsee many more moving to Open source in a big way. Many government schoos and institutions are making the switch to Linux. Price and economy is a big factor which can do wonders no government initiative can. I am not saying its gonna change overnight but the step has been taken and it is in a positive direction.

http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS6504473525.html This is but one example, there are many more and its not just a conjecture, I see it happening when I travel to various organizations throughout India.

Beans
    Distro

http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS6504473525.html This is but one example, there are many more and its not just a conjecture
    At the same time, ELCOT reserves the right to change its mind. "Microsoft India is yet to provide the revised offer ([of $12 per copy] for its operating system and debundling its current offer to fix the price of its office suite and anti virus software). Once we receive Microsoft's revised offer which is acceptable to ELCOT, we would get back to you with our offer for Microsoft products."
    Yeah, hooray for linux. Further, MS has made an offer of Rs 2500 (Apprx US$50) for Windows OS + MS Office + Antivirus to ELCOT for bundling.

AND the report is from Jun 2008.

AND Elcot's "Student Laptop" is priced at approx Rs 30,000 ~ 31,000 currently; and expected to rise. A top of the line ASUS eeePC 1Gb/160Gb/Windows XP Home is Rs. 19,000/-. Core2 Duo laptops with Vista are available for as low as 28,000/-. I don't see institutions, public sector or otherwise, going for volume purchases at these prices.

OH but hey, if you say and Google say Open Source is growing in India, then it MUST be. Cheers.
    Cheers,PRShah

Beans
    Hidden!

These prices are not reflective of market prices. I see otherwise, I see a big move to Linux happening in countries like India when the piracy hammer begins to fall real big, I am aware of quite a few companies in Noida having swtiched to OSS after raids by NASSCOM and concerend companies.

If you wish to be pessimistic, thats your choice. I see it happening in India as its happening elsewhere.

Beans
    Distro

These prices are not reflective of market prices
    In point of fact, they are. You're welcome to check it out yourself. These prices are already subsidized.

. I see otherwise, I see a big move to Linux happening in countries like India when the piracy hammer begins to fall real big, I am aware of quite a few companies in Noida having swtiched to OSS after raids by NASSCOM and concerend companies.
    "few companies in Noida" are private companies. They are not government bodies / public sector.

Are you aware of what the aftermath of a "raid" by NASSCOM is? Companies violating the EULA and/or using pirated copies of products _have_ to purchase licenses for the products. They cannot avoid liability by "switching". And once again, this is private enterprise not government.

Here are a few RECENT links about the state of open source adoption:
    Maharashtra Government Signs MoU with Microsoft India

Linux for You: The Indian Govt is Just Not That Into Freedom

Microsoft India hosts Government Leadership Summit

...Where..

The Minister also released a compendium of e-governance initiatives in India titled ‘India {e}nnovates’.

Microsoft has developed SWARAJ as a single integrated application, which can run in both connected and un-connected scenarios and can provide the critical information on the schemes, funds, land and works besides baseline information to evolve Panchayats’ infrastructure and human development indices

Chairman Speak
    <snip>Most importantly helping the government in its e- governance initiatives
    ,snip>We piloted 300 kiosks across 6 states involving about 4000 users to understand the key requirements and sustainability of the rural kiosk model. Our key learning’s were -

• e-Government alone is insufficient to sustain the rural kiosks
    • People in rural areas consider education important. They are willing to pay money to become Computer literate (Internet, MS Excel, Word and Power Point) and to learn English - English and Primary (Being developed in consultation with British Council)
    • The e-Government application allows instant access to land records and certificates and things like Grievance Submission, tracking and resolution system are appreciated along with Monitoring of MP & MLA developmental activities.
    • Local Agricultural services and clinical information are invaluable resource of information. As a step in this direction we are partnering with ICRISAT.
    Microsoft India offers:
    Microsoft Dynamics Software for Government

And here's what Venkatesh Hariharan (RedHat activist, IndLinux) has to say when trying to reach NASSCOM about their draft report to the Government for Draft Open Standards Policy Delaying tactics from industry. Essentially, they were (apparently) sidelining RedHat offerings for consideration in the draft. Yes, NASSCOM is not a government body, but asking a organization sponsored by Microsoft, Autodesk, et al for an open standards policy draft is pretty damning for the government.

Excepting NASSCOM, these are governmental bodies we are talking about.

(F)OSS use is soaring in India; but it's the ordinary people like you and me who are pushing it, not the Government. The previous government (BJP) had specific plans for open source; these are now quietly sidelined. The National Informatics Centre, a GoI body responsible for implementing e-governance projects across India is heavily skewed to proprietary / non-foss products.

If you wish to be pessimistic, thats your choice.
    The correct term is "realistic". This is the reality; pessimism or optimism is perception.
    Cheers,PRShah

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast