Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suse vs Ubuntu-arguments

Beans

Re: Suse vs Ubuntu-arguments

yeah, the biggest difference is the package management.
    i've had major problems with rpms before
    i find apt-get/.deb to be the best package manager out there (actually, portage is pretty good also)

but suse is a good distro nonetheless
    and i really respect the resources novell is putting behind linux
    their work helps all of us.
    I WAS BORN READY!

Beans

This is interesting. We were having a debate close to this over at one of the suse forums.
    SuSE has its perks.
    1)Refind Distro.
    2)Slighty better hardware detection on the retail versions.
    3)YaST is still a great control pannel per say. Esp for Noobs.
    4)Flash works out of the box with the default browser (Fx) on 64bit machines.
    And its Cons.
    1)YaST and YOU totally blow as package handlers.
    2)9.3 and 10.0 network software is screwed up.
    3)10.0 is really buggy all around.
    4)Dependency HELL!!!
    5)This is a personal one, but I dont like software installed to /opt all the time.
    6)To many files to install even with small single DE install. Takes like over a hour even on my system to install.
    7)I HATE THE MESSED UP LOOKING START ICON THEY HAVE. The lizard is kewl, but the small green BB sized icon does not fit as a Start button. Most users dont know what the **** it is until you tell them or they get lucky and just click on it. I think it should be perportional, esp on KDE were the button is square to start with. They should make a green button that is sqaure with the lizzard head in it. Then that would look correct and kewl at the same time.

Now I like K/Ubuntu better.
    Pros.
    1)Smaller distro, less crap to install that I and most users dont need or want.
    2)Lots less bugs.
    3)Apt is much much better at managing packages.
    4)The repositories are perfect. Most of the software many users want can be found there without going through dependency HELL!
    5)Much eaiser to install software from source on. No stupid *** /opt directory to screw with.
    6)Out to get M$!!
    Cons.
    1)Still lakcing in some hardware support, thats to be expected with a young distro.
    2)64bit support could be better, esp with Radeon drivers. I am refering to the Xorg supported cards (9250 and below), the drivers were screwed up on the 5.10-64bit release.
    3)Better WiFi support, its getting better tho...

Personal NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE THE KDE START BUTTON ON KUBUNTU!!! I LIKE THE K BUTTON!!

Cheers,
    Joey
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDiscoMachine V.5.7-3
    Suse==Novel==Ximian==GoodGnomeDestkop
    Maybe for the enterprise verison of Novell Linux. Regular SUSE's Gnome has always given me problems.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by bluevoodoo1
    Well the great community support at ubuntuforums.org of course!
    100% agreed. That's why (and some more reasons) I chose Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    Maybe for the enterprise verison of Novell Linux. Regular SUSE's Gnome has always given me problems.
    Then I don't think you've tried SUSE recently.

Until some time ago, GNOME did indeed not integrate into SUSE very well.
    I believe SUSE 10.0 was the first to fully incorporate GNOME.

Beans

5)Much eaiser to install software from source on.
    You should be kidding. First of all ubuntu even has no compiler by defautl! Even after you install these tools you are getting into realy dependency hell. You are running ./configure over and over and at every next line you get error message about missing library.

On SUSE I had 0 problems with compiling from source and never expirenced dependency hell.
    All I want to say is that 1 CD is not enough! Ubuntu is lacking additional CD (or even CDs) with all the sweet things. Because if you have no internet or slow connection you may kiss goodbye to this very good and userfriendly distro.
    Last edited by void_false; February 13th, 2006 at 09:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by void_false
    You should be kidding. First of all ubuntu even has no compiler by defautl! Even after you install these tools you are getting into realy dependency hell. You are running ./configure over and over and at every next line you get error message about missing library.

On SUSE I had 0 problems with compiling from source and never expirenced dependency hell.
    All I want to say is that 1 CD is not enough! Ubuntu is lacking additional CD (or even CDs) with all the sweet things. Because if you have no internet or slow connection you may kiss goodbye to this very good and userfriendly distro.
    hmmm ... but on every linux/unix distribution you have to spend a little time in order to discover dependecies to compile sources and when you do either you write a HOWTO for others, either you provide the binarie (not with checkinstall !!!) that will resolve dependecies too or provide the PKGBUILD file (in case you are using Arch) but whatever is the distribution you are using, YOU will face this! but on some its easier than other by using tools such as namcap !
    [My Blog] | [My Sites] | [My Ubuntu Guides]

doc.gwos.org, the real successor of Ubuntu Guide

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by void_false

Your kidding right?
    Guess I have imagined everything...
    Guess my website doesn't exist either.

Just because the compiling tools doesn't come on the CD doesn't mean there isn't any. Let me help you out here. "sudo apt-get install build-essentials".
    BTW, I doubt you even compiled much on SuSE. I have been using SuSE since 7.1 so I think that mean I might know what I am talking about.
    On SuSE some programs like Xine and XineGUI go under /usr, but for some reason SuSE stick some files like Gnome and it libs under /opt. Now no doubt many users like this. But to me its just plain stupid and a waist of time.
    But that my personal opinion, your milage may very.
    Cheers,
    Joey
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

SuSe lures users because of it's big company-like image. ubuntu could have ads on magazines, put shipit ads too (that would really increase ubuntu users). and ubuntu needs to have merch (t-shirt with logo, slogan and url) =p.

either way, ubuntu rocks. my triple boot machine has ubuntu, slackware and windows xp (still trying to get rid of it, but stupid sister screams every time she sees a ubuntu gdm screen)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I would like to share my experience with OpenSuse 10 (32bit).

Cons:
    -Mainly Yast as package manager. For example I added the repos to install the codecs (which are not official) and I think some of the repos were slow or went down every time I tried to install the codecs: the result was that Yast froze during the download. I made several other attempts in different days but the result was always the same. Another thing Yast wanted to do (when it didn't lock up ) was to remove several apps in order to overcome dependency problems.
    I admit that: 1) I didn't ask for help (about this issue) on their forums (which I find very helpful); 2) It might be just me and not an issue of the distro itself.
    -Sax didn't detect my exact screen resolution (a think which Ubuntu does but other distros don't)
    -I installed Opensuse also on my laptop and I forgot to plug in my PS/2 mouse during the installation (I used the synaptic touchpad instead). I thought I could configure my PS/2 mouse later and I did it successfully using Yast. The problem was that if I booted Suse with my mouse plugged in it wouldn't start the Xserver .
    In this case I asked for help on their forums and a moderator (who was very kind to me) tried to help me. It suggested to use SAX to reconigure the xserver. In the end the problem was not solved and the only thing to do was a fresh install. Now, I'm not a noob, I am able to make my mouse work in FreeBSD, Gentoo, Ubuntu, etc. even if I didn't use it during the installation.

Pros
    -Yast (as a control centre) is very easy to use and setting the desired screen resolution was a breeze (although I like editing the xorg.conf manually with a text editor). I find Yast to be better than Windows' "device manager" (I don't know its name in English) and control panel.
    -You don't need to install java and flash
    -The installer is graphical (not textual as in Ubuntu) and eye candy and it might appeal GNU/Linux newbies. Maybe I was distracted and overwrote Ubuntu's bootloader by mistake (this was my fault, I guess ) anyhow I find Ubuntu's installer a bit easier (but maybe it's just a matter of taste).
    -You can use APT (apt4rpm if I'm not wrong) (some users say it's not perfect but I have never tried it myself)
    -Installing Nvidia or Ati proprietary drivers it's a breeze (a mouse click) (but Novell is going to remove this feature)

I don't use Opensuse 10 any more and I would like to try both Slackware and Arch Linux.

I have nothing against RPMs as I think they work fine in Fedora (never had dependency problems there). Moreover I don't have anything against OpenSuse, it's not for me but it might work for you and although I like Ubuntu (or Fedora) better I would never state that a distro is superior to another.
    Last edited by tseliot; February 13th, 2006 at 11:05 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast