Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Booting LiveCD ISOs from USB flash drive with Grub2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO: Booting LiveCD ISOs from USB flash drive with Grub2

Quote Originally Posted by pxwpxw View Post
    Slax might be worth adding to the list.
    The more the better. I've updated the bootiso.lua script in the first post.

Beans

This is my menu.cfg for grub 1.96, feel free to add these to your post, but bear in mind that for Bactrack to work the files must be extracted from the iso and the casper folder must be at the root of the device.

Code:
    menuentry "Linux Mint 7" {
     loopback loop /boot/isos/LinuxMint-7.iso
     linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/boot/isos/LinuxMint-7.iso --
     initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.gz
    }
    menuentry "Ubuntu Live 9.04 32bit" {
     loopback loop /boot/isos/ubuntu9.04.iso
     linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/boot/isos/ubuntu9.04.iso --
     initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.gz
    }
    menuentry "Tinycore" {
     loopback loop /boot/isos/tinycore_2.4.1.iso
     linux (loop)/boot/bzImage --
     initrd (loop)/boot/tinycore.gz
    }
    menuentry "BackTrack 4 Pre Release" {
        linux /boot/isos/bt4/boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent rw vga=0x317 --
        initrd /boot/isos/bt4/boot/initrd.gz
    }
    menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+)" {
     linux /boot/memtest86+.bin
    }

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmacid View Post
    This is my menu.cfg for grub 1.96, feel free to add these to your post, but bear in mind that for Bactrack to work the files must be extracted from the iso and the casper folder must be at the root of the device.
    What errors messages did you get when you discovered this out? Maybe that's the issue I have with Lubuntu and Gparted.
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans

I was getting the problem shown here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...75#post8141575

But fortunately by some kind of miracle I found the solution after posting.

Beans
    Distro

I've updated my first post and added Tinycore to the supported live systems. The script also tries now to boot every Casper based live system (like Linux Mint) even if they doesn't support the iso-from parameter and won't boot. Sadly I couldn't boot Linux Mint because it doesn't recognize my USB drive but it may work for someone else. As far as I know BackTrack doesn't support any iso-from parameter and so I won't support it.

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    Maybe that's the issue I have with Lubuntu and Gparted.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but neither BackTrack, GParted nor Lubuntu supports an iso-from parameter (or similar) and therefore cannot booted directly from an ISO. So it is likely that this is your issue. But this is no bug it is just a missing feature.

You have two possibilities to boot such a live system directly from an ISO. You must either edit the init script in the initrd file to search for an ISO (this link that you have posted in another thread explains how) which is quite laborious, or you must make a feature request and hope it gets implemented in the next version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Just tried this, and it's not working for me

I'm using grub 1.97 beta4 as supplied with the Karmic RC, and followed all the instructions. But when I boot from the USB drive, I'm just presented with the grub-1.97~beta4 banner, and a "sh:grub> " prompt.

There is no "parser.lua" command built into this grub - at least, running "parser.lua" just gives me "error: unknown command `parser.lua'".

Am I missing something basic here? I thought grub 1.97b4 had lua built in?

Update: also tried it with grub 1.97 beta4 built from source downloaded from grub.enbug.org - same deal, no lua! What's going on here, is there some special version of grub needed?
    Last edited by desht; October 23rd, 2009 at 01:55 PM.

Beans

I'm wondering if it is possible to make a lua script for OpenSolaris. This is the start entry from the former grub on my machine.
    Code:
    title OpenSolaris 2008.11 snv_101b_rc2 X86
    findroot (pool_rpool,2,a)
    splashimage /boot/solaris.xpm
    foreground d25f00
    background 115d93
    bootfs rpool/ROOT/opensolaris
    kernel$ /platform/i86pc/kernel/$ISADIR/unix -B $ZFS-BOOTFS,console=graphics
    module$ /platform/i86pc/$ISADIR/boot_archive

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by desht View Post
    Just tried this, and it's not working for me
    I'm sorry but it looks like Ubuntu and Grub2 has dropped the support for Lua after an update and so my tutorial doesn't work anymore. Thats probably because of this decision from a Grub2 maintainer. Unfortunately I don't know a easy way to get a Grub version with Lua support.

Beans

Hi. I am new to this forum and I tried the steps, however when I plug in the USB flash drive into my netbook, I only get the grub prompt. I created all three files that were required. I also coppied the ubuntu9.1-desktop-i386.iso to the isos folder. Am I doing anything wrong? thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lprazdnik View Post
    Hi. I am new to this forum and I tried the steps, however when I plug in the USB flash drive into my netbook, I only get the grub prompt.
    As I've noted one post above yours my tutorial doesn't worked anymore after a Grub update. This is because Lua was dropped from the default Grub2. But I've updated my first post to show how it is still possible except the auto detection of live systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmacid View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll wait till it goes stable before installing it. In the meantime my old fashioned menu will have to do.
    After all Grub 1.97 went final.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast