Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the general consensus regarding Karmic Koala?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What is the general consensus regarding Karmic Koala?

Has anyone tried it out yet and how is it looking? I'm curious to try it out when it is released but just want to make sure there are no major problems with it. What has everyones experience of it been? So far whats the good and whats the bad and do you think when it is finally released it will be worth the upgrade? Thanks everyone

Beans

Re: What is the general concensus regarding Karmic Koala?

Well, I only tried it from the live CD and it worked fine for me. From the look and feel, it did not differ much from Jaunty for me.

I will ugrade, but after 20 years of IT business, I am never EVER an early adopter on a "production machine". So I will probably wait until Christmas or so before upgrading.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm sorely tempted by the inclusion of KDE 4.3/ext4/GRUB2, but I'll wait for the LTS release of Lynx, next year, because Jaunty works sufficiently for me.

Besides, I've spent 20 years re-installing numerous OS's on countless machines and I can no longer be bothered keeping up with the latest

Beans

I have just installed it for somebody who normally only uses M$ XP for surfing. They have never heard of Linux, hopefully they will like it. The only thing I do not like so far is that there are too many choices in Grub.

(I know it is a release candidate)

I would just like 1 Ubuntu 2. Windows i,e, KISS

Installation was simple .. well done and thanks to the Ubuntu teams.

Billy

Beans

If you on a laptop and are using the Intel graphics chipset, Karmic is leaps and bounds BETTER than Jaunty. Otherwise, unless you want the latest and greatest and are skeptical about new releases, then I'd wait.

Personally, I've found Karmic to be pretty stable on my laptop even since the late Alphas (except for some random crashes in various programs, here and there, that have all been fixed that I can tell).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I'm using netbook remix on an aspire one with 8gb ssd & 1.5 gb ram.So far it has been fast and problem free, really quick install and all updates no problem. My only gripe is that Firefox is running very sluggish, but that seems to be a problem I have rather than a common one.
    No hesitation in recommending it at all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thumbs down Re: What is the general concensus regarding Karmic Koala?

I've found it to be very good, stable and have much faster loading speeds. I've not had any major problems (been using beta and am now on the rc). I won't be going back to Jaunty.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've had very few problems with 9.10 -- and after last week's updates, they seem to all be fixed.

Good luck.

Beans
    Hidden!

It's good but GRUB2 is horrible. (no menu.lst)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I was having some issues in Jaunty so I tried a clean install of Karmic. Couldn't even boot the Live CD so I installed a clean Jaunty and upgraded it to Karmic. Ubuntu has been a real joy since. Everything seems to work like it should, no issues yet

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast