Thread: Using Ubuntu to Defragment a Windows Computer?

Beans

Using Ubuntu to Defragment a Windows Computer?

I've got a laptop that runs on vista (terrible...) that has some 20GB of fragmented hard drive that is mostly system files. I don't know why I'm unable to defragment these files but I think it's probably because I'm using them. I'm wondering if I should try live-booting ubuntu and try defragmenting it from there. The problem I forsee is that it may somehow crash the windows system? If all the system files for the windows system changes under another OS without the knowledge of the windows system, won't that cause problems when I'm trying to boot vista again?

Anyone know?

Beans

Re: Using Ubuntu to Defragment a Windows Computer?

How do you propose to defragment a Windows installation from an Ubuntu live CD ?

Last time I looked, I don't think this could be done ?

Beans

I don't know, got any other ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

can you get a command prompt in vista?
    if so just type
    Code:
    defrag -f
    this forces a defrag
    Someday we'll hit the human carrying capacity. And the band will just play on. -Me

I'm trying PHP, so my code can probably be labelled "bad and insecure"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Do you mean a 20 GB partition that is fragmented or do you mean some 20GB of fragmented data that cannot be moved?

If you defrag from a fresh reboot there shouldn't be any major locked up files. If it's a fragmented swap and registry hives you're looking at then it's this for you.
    The early bird gets the worm. . . But the second mouse gets the cheese, and the early worm gets eaten.
    Unwarranted Self Promotion

Beans

Here I've got a ss of it.

I tried to defrag with the cmd but it still didn't work. What to do?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ahh, System Volume Information.

That's the system restore snapshot folder. It's a permissions problem. Apparently not even the administrator can write to that. Only the 'local system' account can.

One possible solution is to run the built-in Windows defrag GUI (not the command-line equiv). That will run the defrag process as a service under 'local system'.

Or, hey, change permissions. But then you risk much more on malicious software writing into your backup data.

<fanboi>Or just switch to the much superior ext4</fanboi>

Edit: Alternatively, if you want to use piriform, look into this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/s.../bb897553.aspx
    You can treat it like a sudo directed at the 'local system' user when you point it towards your own computer.
    Last edited by Helkaluin; April 13th, 2010 at 10:25 AM.
    The early bird gets the worm. . . But the second mouse gets the cheese, and the early worm gets eaten.
    Unwarranted Self Promotion