Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TEMPERATURE on NVIDIA 9600gt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: TEMPERATURE on NVIDIA 9600gt

Quote Originally Posted by antonkedrov View Post
    can you run top command to determine processes, which high use your cpu/gpu?
    which nvidia drivers you use now? you can see it in nvidia-xserver-settings application
    im using the newest driver 190.36
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you can almost not touch the card then those temps may be right. Graphics cards can reach such temperatures, but it's not at all healthy for them and that temperature is not good. You need to get it down.

Does your computer have good air flow? I know the card is fanless, but those fanless designs normally require *some* airflow through the computer. Are the fans in the case working and is air being blown across the graphics card? If not, that could be part of the problem.

Has the heatsink been properly seated? If there's not idea contact between the heatsink and the chip temperatures can get high. Might you have put too much thermal compound on? It may be worth taking it off, cleaning the old compound, and re-trying. In my current portable, there wasn't proper contact between the graphics chip and the heatsink, and my idling tempratures were 76c (with fan!), at load, 100+ then shut down. Simply cleaning, replacing thermal compound and reseating brought down idle temps to 54, load to 70.

Looking at
    http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/pro.../gv-n98tsl-1gi

which is another fanless heatsink, the comments suggest their getting reasonable temperatures, 43-45 - which would, I think, be warm, but not too hot to the touch.

yossell.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mivo View Post
    I'm not sure the program is working properly. If it was 104 degrees Celcius, I think it would have melted.
    Nah. Depending on the chip model, nVidia tests them at over that- up to 127c IIRC.

@ katon- I wouldnt be at all surpised if that is in F not C. My very similar 8600GT (silent cooler as well) tends to idle at 40-50C, depending on background temps, CPU use, etc. 105F = 40C so it would be fine. It shouldnt be that hot to touch though, at 45C my card ifeels warmer than body temp, but not hot. So maybe it is 105C.

I would try yossells idea- take off the heatsink, clean it, put some heatsink paste on the heatsink, put it back on.

You could also try using a desktop fan as a test. Just take the side panel off your case, point the fan into the case, turn it on, then check to see if the temp is dropping.
    Last edited by cascade9; October 13th, 2009 at 03:45 PM. Reason: typo

Beans

Hi there,

I have the same card and the same problem just started happening after 12 months. I dont use ubuntu but feel there are enough similarities to share and maybe help the original poster.

I've used this card for about a year without problem. Just recently I had many BSOD and noticed internal case temperature at about 60+ degrees (CPU still ok at around 40).

I tracked it down to this card sitting for several days at 95 degrees with compute idle. In the last two days it sits at 85 degrees all the time with computer doing nothing. These are very high temperatures for this card with not load. It never used to do this. I am about to try an alternate card.

The theory that the heatsink may have separated from the GPU is a good one to investigate. I have not done that yet, but will have a look.

Now that I see that OP is having same problem I'm starting to think its a hardware problem.

I tried various drivers and booted XP and Vista, so I dont believe its an OS or driver problem. I think its either graphics card failure or possible MB is failing and causing graphics card to do crazy things and heat up.

Wonder if anybody else has similar problems or possible solution.

Paul,

Quote Originally Posted by katon View Post
    i think is not good 104 degrees in my GIGABYTE 9600gt SILENT card....its working well but it sounds like not real...fake

this is the info via NVCLOCK and a picture for you,

root@mati-desktop:~# nvclock -i
    -- General info --
    Card: nVidia Geforce 9600GT
    Architecture: G94 A1
    PCI id: 0x622
    GPU clock: 486.000 MHz
    Bustype: PCI-Express

-- Shader info --
    Clock: 1296.000 MHz
    Stream units: 64 (1111b)
    ROP units: 16 (1111b)
    -- Memory info --
    Amount: 512 MB
    Type: 256 bit DDR3
    Clock: 756.000 MHz

-- PCI-Express info --
    Current Rate: 16X
    Maximum rate: 16X

-- Sensor info --
    Sensor: GPU Internal Sensor
    GPU temperature: 104C

-- VideoBios information --
    Version: 62.94.11.00.03
    Signon message: GV-NX96T512HP F1
    Performance level 0: gpu 450MHz/shader 1200MHz/memory 750MHz/0.00V/100%
    Performance level 1: gpu 720MHz/shader 1800MHz/memory 1008MHz/0.00V/100%
    VID mask: 3
    Voltage level 0: 1.00V, VID: 0
    Voltage level 1: 1.05V, VID: 1
    Voltage level 2: 1.10V, VID: 2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

i have changed the card by a similar new one ... i will try it tomorrow and tell you...

Beans

But nVidia Cabinet 3500

Around 7 fans surrounding the cabinet, with 2 big fans surround your Graphics card.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12