Thread: Selling my mini -- restore?

Beans

Selling my mini -- restore?

I'm trying to sell my Dell Mini 9. But I already have a bunch of data on it. I'd have to send whoever buys it log in details. How do I restore it to like it was when I first got it? I looked up installing the os over again, but it still makes me set up an account. The new owner should do all that. What should I do?

Beans

Re: Selling my mini -- restore?

You will want to do an OEM install. Upon booting the live cd or usb stick that you will be reinstalling from, highlight the 'Install Ubuntu' option and press F4. In the list that pops up, choose 'OEM Install'. By doing this, ubuntu will be installed with a user called 'oem' and a password you specify. Once finished, reboot the computer and log in as 'oem'. When you get to the desktop, open a terminal and type
    Code:
    sudo oem-config-prepare
    and when that finishes, shut the computer down. When the purchaser reboots it, it will ask to set up an account.
    "If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, Of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?" -Albert Einstein.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by damis648 View Post
    You will want to do an OEM install. Upon booting the live cd or usb stick that you will be reinstalling from, highlight the 'Install Ubuntu' option and press F4. In the list that pops up, choose 'OEM Install'. By doing this, ubuntu will be installed with a user called 'oem' and a password you specify. Once finished, reboot the computer and log in as 'oem'. When you get to the desktop, open a terminal and type
    Code:
    sudo oem-config-prepare
    and when that finishes, shut the computer down. When the purchaser reboots it, it will ask to set up an account.
    Hey, thanks a lot!! Your directions were exactly what I needed. Now it's listed on ebay and awaiting a new owner. I won't post the link because that might be against policy. But it's on ebay bundled with a wireless mouse and an external DVD player/burner. Thanks for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by sanubie View Post
    Now it's listed on ebay and awaiting a new owner. I won't post the link because that might be against policy. But it's on ebay bundled with a wireless mouse and an external DVD player/burner. Thanks for your help.
    Feel free to post a thread in the Community Market.