Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grr, computer turning itself off randomly

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Grr, computer turning itself off randomly

Hey thanks everyone for the input. I threw a big box fan next to the computer and it really seems to be doing the trick, which means I'll probably just have to clean out the heatsink fans, as people were mentioning.

My current PSU is a corsair 450W, I could upgrade to a 500W (or higher) unit but this seems like it should have plenty of power. Also it's not a no-name brand from Quangdongxhing, China or something.

I'll clean out the computer and let y'all know how it goes!

Thanks again for the great advice.
    Ah nuts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

It definitely sounds like a Power Supply issue if it will just shuts off like that. I was looking in here for some new info on the System log viewer but this thread did give me some further indicators that my problem is a hard drive issue. Yes, and I need to open my machine to dust it off too.

You seem to have also upgraded everything but the HD and the Power Supply. The size of the HD (120gb) seems to indicate it's an old one if I'm not mistaken. I would have actually thought with those upgrades to RAM and the addition of a fan a dusting would be in order as well. When I do open my machine to do an upgrade that's usually SOP for me to do an overall dusting out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thread closed.

Reason: Necromancy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12