Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Ubuntu 9.04 and HP Mini 311 with nVidia Ion LE

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 and HP Mini 311 with nVidia Ion LE

I would like to buy one of those HP Mini 311 but I haven't found a site that says how Ubuntu 10.04 works with it. Have any of you been using Lucid Lynx with these laptops? If you do, then, is graphics performance good? Any Wifi problems? Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hfzorman View Post
    I would like to buy one of those HP Mini 311 but I haven't found a site that says how Ubuntu 10.04 works with it. Have any of you been using Lucid Lynx with these laptops? If you do, then, is graphics performance good? Any Wifi problems? Thanks.
    Mine works fine except for the scrolling on the trackpad, a disappearing mobile broadband connection and HDMI output. EVERYTHING else has been without issue.

My model is the HP Mini 311-1037NR. It has the full Ion and it runs Windows 7. I maxed the RAM to 3GB and upgraded the drive to 500GB 7200 RPM and I dual boot 10.4.
    Last edited by faviobarrio; May 20th, 2010 at 03:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For me, everything works out of the box, except wifi, and plymouth.
    For wifi I had to install the proprietary broadcom driver the hardware drivers tool, plymouth is a bit complicated.
    After that I've installed proprietary NVIDIA drivers, so HDMI and VDPAU works too.

I'm using Kubuntu 10.04 and WinXP dual-booting on it.
    Two things I'm not happy with:
    1. The battery life is less than in XP.
    2. The HD movies not as good with VDPAU, as on XP with CUDA. (Slower a bit, and not as clear)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have a Mini 311. I added a SoDIMM to bring it up to 3 GB of RAM (which made a huge difference with Compiz) and I have it set up to dual-boot Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows XP. I haven't booted XP since last November and I was only keeping it to run Adobe Acrobat Pro for occaisional PDF editing on the road. Once I found that I could do Acrobat Pro 5.0 via WINE under Ubuntu and that Lotus Notes had a .deb install that could be tweeked to work under Ubuntu, I lost any reason to keep XP around and I will likely reclaim that space on my HD in the near future. I use the netbook primarily for business travel and as my primary "computer at hand" that I keep in my backpack when I'm not home or at the office.

As for the trackpad, there was a bug report filed on the Alps Glidepoint trackpad in Launchpad that Chase Douglas has been working on. Edge scrolling worked for me in Ubuntu 9.04 only because the Synaptics driver didn't recognize the trackpad and it wound working with the default PS/2 driver. None of the Synaptics preferences were available and Synaptics did not recognize the trackpad. When the kernel was recompiled for Lucid, Synaptics was "turned on" for the Alps Glidepoint in the Mini 311 and other netbooks/notebooks somewhere around kernel version 2.6.32-19, but then edge scrolling disappeared and none of the advanced configuration features in Synaptics worked on these trackpads. So, somewhere around the Ubuntu 10.04 2.6.32-22 or 2.6.32.23 kernel version, this was reversed, edge scrolling returned and the more advaced configuration features of Synaptics are turned off for now. This should get solved eventually since this is a fairly common trackpad and we do need it recognized in Synaptics so that the preferences for the trackpad can be configured by the end user, particularly turning off pad-clicks when typing.

I have never tried an HD movie since I don't have a Blureray drive. I have tried 720p from DVDs via HDMI to a 24" LCD monitor and to a 42" LCD TV in Ubuntu 9.10 and 10.04 and I can't tell any difference between Windows and Ubuntu. I think it is just wicked that when I'm on business travel I can bring an HDMI cable and send a movie to a huge screen in a hotel room from something this small. Ion just rocks and nVidia has provided decent support for Linux for Ion although the allowable options for running dual monitors in nVidia Xserver Settings could use a bit of work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by demonfoo View Post
    Everything works 100%. Bluetooth (paired with my BlackBerry 8830), WiFi (after messing with the drivers, the only thing I had trouble with), keyboard, touchpad, all USB ports, card slot (tried with SD and MS/MSPro), HDMI (including audio out), 3D graphics (tried with several Telltale Games titles via Wine), suspend, webcam (works perfectly with the Linux version of Skype). It almost completely worked out of the box, and the WiFi issue appears to be a known thing with karmic.
    I also have the N280 but I'm running 10.04 Lucid, everything is running smooth as silk, I'm just pulling my hair out trying to get my HDMI to work. After re ading your quote I was wondering if you could tell me how to get the HDMI up and running I would greatly appreciate it !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hfzorman View Post
    Day of purchase of my 311 I got rid of factory Windows 7 and Installed Lucid Lynx immediately everything works amazing no kinks except for my HDMI port which I know someone knows how to work out. Graphics are amazing no wifi problems all the little nooks and crannies also work. I got my 311 for 390.00 on a wicked deal best money I ever spent, dont even use my Mac anymore.

Beans

It's a special topic for me , I get much useful information from it .thanks very much !

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011