Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 9.04 and HP Mini 311 with nVidia Ion LE

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 and HP Mini 311 with nVidia Ion LE

Quote Originally Posted by amaroKer View Post
    1. What type of boot failure are you experiencing? I am getting a flashing text cursor on a black screen.

2. How does one go about rebuilding initramfs? What does that do?

3. What could I do to begin troubleshooting or diagnose a failed boot?

Logan
    1. in boot options there's 2 things to disable (can't quite remember their names but acpi lacpi or something like that).

Beans

I tested scorched3d under windows and it plays fine, well over 30fps. It runs an order of magnitude slower under ubuntu. Are people having better luck with certain nvidia driver versions on these machines? I'm using the 185 version that is default under karmic.

James

Beans

Thanks for letting me run you guys around for assistance... turns out it was an I-d-10-T error. I was writing the image to a thumb drive but the thumb drive was 16gigs... I hadn't done enough reading to know that I needed to partition it down to 2gigs or less to burn the image to on the thumb drive. It ended up misfiring my installs even if I got it up and running it ran very badly.

Again sorry for the run-around.

Beans

I was having similar problems when trying to install 9.10. The initial boot menu would appear, but would only lead to a blank screen with a blinking cursor no matter what option was chosen. Installing 9.04 instead worked fine, then upgrading the graphics driver, the 9.04 updates, and upgrading to Karmic and everything seems to be working flawlessly. Wifi, sound, video, suspend, it all looks great.

Two quick questions though:

This machine is replacing an HP mini 1110NR which had a button above the touchpad to disable it. Does anyone know of an equivalent way to achieve the same thing on this machine with 9.10?

Secondly, is there an easy way to switch to the classic desktop? The NBR is great for small screens, but I think the 311 has enough screen real estate to warrant at least trying the classic desktop.

Thanks!

Beans

Hi

I just installed NVidia ION support for my Asus Eee Top 2002T and it work perfectly.

This is how to do it (32-bit):

Download http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...32_190.42.html

Save the file and go to a terminal and cd to the directory where you saved the downloaded file. Then do:

Code:
    sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.42-pkg1.run
    then reboot: sudo reboot

Hope it helps!

Rgds

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tdunk View Post
    Hi

I just installed NVidia ION support for my Asus Eee Top 2002T and it work perfectly
    I think that on Ubuntu, you're better off using the 190.42 packages that are part of the vdpau PPA I mentioned earlier in this thread. I've been using them on my Mini 311 with great success, though I never had problems with the 185.xx driver packages either.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by arsenix View Post
    What 3D apps have folks successfully run on the machine? I bought it for my young son and have been installing some of his favorite opensource games. So far I have not had much luck with 3D apps.

I installed tux racer extreme and scorched3d... both are completely unplayable. They both run <5fps. I did install armegetron and it runs great, but its 3d graphics are fairly simple.

Have others had similar experiences? I'm running Karmic 32 bit, nvidia 185 driver. My machine has 1GB of ram (maybe this needs to be bumped up).

James
    Are you *sure* you were using hardware GL support? If you ran:

Code:
    glxinfo | grep '^direct rendering:'
    what do you get? You might need to add yourself to the "video" group for hardware GL support to function (the devices don't get ACLs added to them for console users, for some reason). I've run several Linux and Windows 3D games on Ubuntu, with both the 185.xx and 190.42 drivers (Telltale Games titles, American McGee's Alice, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, Heavy Gear 2, ...) with no problems, so I can say that hardware 3D definitely works.

Beans

Smile Re: Ubuntu 9.04 and HP Mini 311 with nVidia Ion LE

is anyone here having problems with sound over hdmi - i have a panny plasma and there is a strange buzzing sound coming over the hdmi audio.

Also i am unable to get a meaningful resolution to work with hdmi display - what settings do people here work with - twinview, separate x, etc?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jatinps View Post
    is anyone here having problems with sound over hdmi - i have a panny plasma and there is a strange buzzing sound coming over the hdmi audio.
    I thought I had a problem like that, but it turned out it was specific to the content I was playing, not the hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by jatinps View Post
    Also i am unable to get a meaningful resolution to work with hdmi display - what settings do people here work with - twinview, separate x, etc?
    You need to use TwinView for it to work like you expect. With my rig, I have the typical HDTV resolutions available (1920x1080, 1280x720), along with a few others I believe (it's not hooked up right now).

Beans

I'm thinking of purchasing a compaq 311c, in the UK the only version on offer is the 311c-1010SA which is allegedly limited to 1GB of RAM. Has anyone actually got one of these and if so can you confirm that there is a spare (SO)DIMM slot?

Has the latest realeases of Karmic fixed the wifi issues or have I got some fiddling to do to get it to work? (1010SA has b/g not n wifi).

Nvidia have confirmed that the ION-le works with VDPAU, I'm just concerned that if the 1GB limit is real that VDPAU will choke on 1080i content from my mythtv box - which would be the main reason for getting this little beauty in the first place

I've got a acer aspire revo which uses the same chipset (well, a non-le ION); getting audio over HDMI required some fiddling and I still get no audio when playing flash videos. Apart from that it's absolutely fantastic, can't fault it for a £150 purchase

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast