Thread: Ubuntu Graphics work on Live, but not installation.

Beans

Ubuntu Graphics work on Live, but not installation.

So, the advanced graphics on my install do not work correctly with my ATI Radeon graphics card because whenever I enable the restricted drivers, the whole operating system stops working. I have accepted this.

However, when I boot to an Ubuntu Live CD, the full graphics work fine.

Why does a Live CD, with no special drivers, work fine, but actually installing the operating system make it work less?

This makes no sense at all? Anyone else ever have this problem?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu Graphics work on Live, but not installation.

The live CD will be using the open source ati/radeon driver, I imagine, but you say you are enabling the restricted driver on the installed version. That could be the reason for the difference.

What graphics card are you using; there are several older cards which can not use the restricted drivers either from the ubuntu ones available, not those direct from ati, so you may need to keep using the OS driver.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Graphics work on Live, but not installation.

I believe it is a Radeon X300, and I am not sure what driver I am currently running, just that it is not the restricted on. But I know that whenever I go to Appearence and try to enable desktop effects, it says that they cannot be enabled. In the past it would actually ask me to install the restricted drivers first.