Thread: very slow booting sometimes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

very slow booting sometimes

Dell inspiron 1000, 512 mb. Ubuntu 9.04.
    Recently after I used Alt+Sys Rq REISUB to reboot my frozen computer (although I don't know if this is the cause), I am starting to have problem rebooting my computer (although it does NOT happen all the time, 50% maybe).
    It's very slow, the step from pushing the power button to login ID shows up is OK; but from login ID to desktop takes 20/30 TIMES the normal time, and of course the computer would be freezingly slow after that. I then would have to reboot a few times to fix the problem.
    Is there a file or two that is corrupt and I need to fix?
    If I can't fix it, I might wait till 9.10 is official and have a clean install.....
    Thanks for reading
    ASRock ION3D 152D Intel Atom D525 (1.8GHz, dual-core) NVIDIA GT218-ION 1 x HDMI 2GB/320GB, Ubuntu Mate 18.04

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: very slow booting sometimes

if it happens the next time look into your logfiles (/var/log/messages, /var/log/syslog etc.) and run dmesg to see if there are error messages or something else unusual things
    watch out where the huskies go
    and don't you eat that yellow snow (Zappa)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGZ5isu23ow
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPsnLUaXyxE

Beans

Re: very slow booting sometimes

Yes, the log may seem like a lot of DATA, but look for lines that repeat or seem out of place. You can also temporarily disable the splash screen to read the boot messages.

To do so: (This is easier than it sounds)

1. When logging in if you dual-boot you get to a screen where you select your OS, if not you may have to press ESC when prompted to force the screen to appear. You can also hold SHIFT.
    2. Highlight the top Ubuntu option, and press E, you will be greeted with another screen. Highlight the line that starts with KERNEL and press E.
    3. You will see a line of text. At the end it has the words 'quiet' and 'splash'. Delete 'splash'. (Do not worry it is only temporary, it automatically does the original options next boot).
    4. After deleting splash, press ENTER, and then at the next screen press B. This will show the kernel booting.
    5. You can also delete 'quiet' but it shows a lot of text.