Thread: LiveUSB: How to update kernel?

Beans

LiveUSB: How to update kernel?

I have a LiveUSB created with the "USB Startup Disk Creator" in Karmic. On the LiveUSB, I also have Karmic installed.

Today, a kernel update was available. I did a 'sudo aptitude safe-upgrade' and I got the following message:
    Code:
    update-initramfs is disabled since running on read-only media
    So, I guess the new 2.6.31-13 kernel has not been installed. However, as I want to keep my USB stick up to date, I would really like to update my kernel. Is there a possibility to do this?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: LiveUSB: How to update kernel?

some usb sticks have a small switch to turn on/off read/write-mode
    watch out where the huskies go
    and don't you eat that yellow snow (Zappa)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGZ5isu23ow
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPsnLUaXyxE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I presume you have persistent option when you created it so you can save stuff to it?

I tried liveusb of jaunty and tried installing stuff, but I think it only installs stuff to /home, I remember trying to install a piece of software and it failed.

Maybe they changed that since then.

Do not attempt to 'install' ubuntu to the usb stick as grub will point to it and you'll mess everything up.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrewabc View Post
    I presume you have persistent option when you created it so you can save stuff to it?

I tried liveusb of jaunty and tried installing stuff, but I think it only installs stuff to /home, I remember trying to install a piece of software and it failed.

Maybe they changed that since then.

Do not attempt to 'install' ubuntu to the usb stick as grub will point to it and you'll mess everything up.
    I have indeed the persistent option enabled and all other updates do install fine, so that's not the problem. I guess it has something to do with the fact there is no grub; you cannot select a kernel at all when booting.

Do other people have some idea how to apply kernel updates?

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by ernstblaauw View Post
    I have indeed the persistent option enabled and all other updates do install fine, so that's not the problem. I guess it has something to do with the fact there is no grub; you cannot select a kernel at all when booting.

Do other people have some idea how to apply kernel updates?
    The only way I can think of is installing a normal version of Ubuntu on a USB stick. I'm actually posting this from an old laptop that recently developed a problem with the motherboard causing it not to recognize its hard drive and its DVD drive - but luckily, the USB ports still work. I booted it from a live USB stick and it ran well, so I did a full installation on another USB stick and it worked even better - it's faster (although quite slow sometimes) and I can use it just as I use my other computer, including kernel upgrades.
    The sole meaning of life is to serve humanity
    To me, GPL still means Grand Prix Legends...