Thread: Wireless Stopped Workig After Update/B43 Disappeared from Hardware Drivers

Beans

Wireless Stopped Workig After Update/B43 Disappeared from Hardware Drivers

I downloaded some updates and now my wireless no longer works.

- Clicking on the icon on the system bar does not show me wireless options.
    - Where I used to get a blue light on the physical button on my laptop, it no longer lights up, despite pressing the button.
    - I noticed that the B43 driver has disappeared from Hardware Drivers/Restricted drivers (see attached images).
    - When changing the kernal that I boot from in the grep menu to the previous version, it all works just fine.
    - Old Kernal: 2.6.28-11-generic
    - New Kernal: 2.6.28-15-generic
    - I am not using ndiswrapper, just the restricted driver.

Has this happened to anyone else? Or does anyone know the solution? Thanks in advance for your comments.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Wireless Stopped Workig After Update/B43 Disappeared from Hardware Drivers

When you use the new kernel have you noticed rather or not the fwcutter in synaptic package manager is still showing installed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You'll need to reinstall the fwcutter package along with proprietary firmware or just boot into the old kernel.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Metaljaz View Post
    When you use the new kernel have you noticed rather or not the fwcutter in synaptic package manager is still showing installed?
    Yes, fwcutter shows as being installed in synaptic.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    You'll need to reinstall the fwcutter package along with proprietary firmware or just boot into the old kernel.
    I tried your suggestion using the instructions at the link below, but I'm still not seeing wireless networks, and the driver still hasn't returned to the Hardware Drivers Menu.

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

Any other ideas? Using the previous kernal isn't all that appealing.
    Last edited by ciamele; October 12th, 2009 at 08:17 PM.

Beans

I this issue was resolved with the installaion of Ubuntu 10.04 alpha.