Thread: Nvidia 180.44, no brightness setting control over brightness applet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Nvidia 180.44, no brightness setting control over brightness applet

I'm running up Jaunty, my laptop is one of the VAIO series with the Video card using the 180.44 closed driver.
    I found that I can't adjust my brightness with the GNOME applet, it tells me "cannot get laptop brightness" and moving the slider does nothing.
    If I use smartdimmer package in the Terminal, It just works, it does too if I launch NVIDIA settings panel and set it from there.
    I did some searching and googling oo Ubuntu forums and Lauchpad bugs but despite similar issues had been found, they were related to older kernels than mine (2.6.28-15-generic)

I'm seriously thinking about filling a bug report, but seeing that it might be related to the close driver, maybe it's just widely known issue, and it's enough to wait for the next driver release from NVidia, or should I report this right away?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Nvidia 180.44, no brightness setting control over brightness applet

Have you tried the instructions in this thread? It worked for me on an HP laptop. It seems to be a more widespread issue than just Sony laptops. I am not entirely familiar with your laptop, but if it is using a Nvidia GPU, this might work for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've done all this, but when I launch "acpi_listen" and press a key on my keyboard,
    some strange characters comes up.
    I'm using an external keyboard plugged into a laptop, as the original one has some keys damaged

Can you help me how to deal with this please?
    Last edited by johny_; October 27th, 2009 at 09:37 AM. Reason: information upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by AppleBonker View Post
    Have you tried the instructions in this thread? It worked for me on an HP laptop. It seems to be a more widespread issue than just Sony laptops. I am not entirely familiar with your laptop, but if it is using a Nvidia GPU, this might work for you.
    've done all this, but when I launch "acpi_listen" and press a key on my keyboard,
    some strange characters comes up.
    I'm using an external keyboard plugged into a laptop, as the original one has some keys damaged

Can you help me how to deal with this please?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Does your external keyboard have brightness keys?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No, it doesn't; It's a normal one from Logitech.
    I wonder if the problem is related in any way to how Xorg, recognizes and switch both keyboards.
    I'll try to unplug the external one and launch "acpi_listen" and type only from the original one, then I'll do the opposite and post here my result, ok?