Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hulu player for Linux

Beans

Re: Hulu player for Linux

I tried it and it runs REALLY REALLY damn slow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by sloggerkhan View Post
    I tried it and it runs REALLY REALLY damn slow.
    I thought so too, but when I tried using it today it told me a new version was available. When I installed the new version it was much faster.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Someone said something earlier to lowering the quality... maybe to medium. Did you try that?
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Thelasko View Post
    I thought so too, but when I tried using it today it told me a new version was available. When I installed the new version it was much faster.
    Last night I noticed the update was available, and I to installed it. With the upgraded version the flicker I had on the menus was gone and playback is MUCH smoother on my panP5. Full screen video still stutters occasionally, but 95% of what I watched was very smooth. Also this is with the 32-bit version of Flash using the wrapper, so I can only imagine how fast it'll run when Flash has the 64-bit version working.

Sam

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    Someone said something earlier to lowering the quality... maybe to medium. Did you try that?
    I run mine on high, but hardware will make up for other problems sometimes.
    DΞLL Precision M6500 "Big Dog": i7-820QM w/USB 3.0, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, 500GB 7200.3, nVidia Quadro FX 3800M 1.0GB DDR3, RGBLED, Intel 6300
    .debBlog (cheat sheets)
    IRS Problems?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by samalex View Post
    Update: I downloaded the Alpha 64-bit version of Flash from Adobe's website and tried to point Hulu Desktop at it, but as with Firefox I'm getting "Segmentation fault" whenever it tries to load. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get past this? At first I thought it was Firefox, but now I'm pretty sure the problem is with 64-bit Flash.
    I am experiencing the same behavior, segfaults when I try to play anything in Hulu both with the desktop player and in Firefox. I'm using the alpha 64 bit flash with 64 bit Karmic 9.10 on a Macbook 2,1. Other sites, such as Youtube, seem to work fine with the 64 bit flashplayer. I would just go back to the 32 bit version, but I was experiencing the "can't interact with flash" issue described here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1283533

Any thoughts on troubleshooting the segfault issue? I have uninstalled flashplugin-installer, but is there something else that may be causing a conflict? Or perhaps this is just an issue with the alpha release I'll have to wait for Adobe to fix.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by penguininja View Post
    Or perhaps this is just an issue with the alpha release I'll have to wait for Adobe to fix.
    I am using the Alpha release for 64-bit flash on Hardy and it works fine. I don't think it's an issue with 64-bit flash.

What version of Hulu player are you using? A more recent version was released that has many bugs fixed. The latest version is 0.9.4.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I run Hulu video on my flat screen TV - meaning no cable TV. It uses a VGA cable that I connect to the PC. Now the real question for me was whether to use a browser, hulu desktop or Boxee? After trying all three, Boxee blows them all out of the water on quality.

Each video screen size can be set mid-play. Also, assuming you logged into hulu and set things to hi-def by default, Boxee will use your Firefox settings to remember this and play some really nice quality video. I used to have DirecTv HD - cannot tell the difference between it and Hulu on the big screen. Only downside with Boxee is the lack of volume control in the software for Flash media. This is fixed with external speakers that have a remote...so I don't have to get up. Yes, you can install Boxee on 9.10 32bit...but if memory serves me, I had to use Ubuntu Package Search to track down some older packages from 9.04. Seems that it was asking for each thing, was not a big deal to install. I installed via apt-get, then wrote down the missing items for tracking down.

Works AWESOMELY on even an older 802.11G connection.

Disclaimer: While I am using a System 76 PC to do this, it is NOT running 64bit Ubuntu. If you wish to, I recommend the beta 64bit driver instead of the ndiswrapper headache. http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/f...r10/64bit.html
    Last edited by ctsdownloads; November 2nd, 2009 at 05:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by ctsdownloads View Post
    Disclaimer: While I am using a System 76 PC to do this, it is NOT running 64bit Ubuntu. If you wish to, I recommend the beta 64bit driver instead of the ndiswrapper headache. http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/f...r10/64bit.html
    Unfortunately like many I'm getting a Segmentation Fault error with the 64-bit Alpha version of Flash. Under Firefox 3.5 I can get Youtube to work, but about any other site, including Hulu (through FF or Hulu Desktop) I get the Segmentation Fault error. For this my only option is to run the ndiswrapper which sucks but it works.

Adobe has said they will release Flash 10.1 next year for all operating systems at the same time, so I assume it won't be until then that Linux gets a good, stable version of Flash 10.

Sam

Sam

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by samalex View Post
    Unfortunately like many I'm getting a Segmentation Fault error with the 64-bit Alpha version of Flash. Under Firefox 3.5 I can get Youtube to work, but about any other site, including Hulu (through FF or Hulu Desktop) I get the Segmentation Fault error. For this my only option is to run the ndiswrapper which sucks but it works.

Adobe has said they will release Flash 10.1 next year for all operating systems at the same time, so I assume it won't be until then that Linux gets a good, stable version of Flash 10.
    Flash 32bit is quite stable. I run it all day long without fail, on multiple PCs ranging 8.04 to 9.10 Ubuntu, Intel, NVIDIA and ATI video cards. It is 64bit Flash that is in dire need of CPR.

I am running Ustream right now, while also using WebcamStudio (Java) and Banshee streaming Live.Twit.tv - my CPU usage is 55%...could not be happier.
    Last edited by ctsdownloads; November 2nd, 2009 at 11:01 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast