Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Update Manager Offers a "Partial Upgrade"? Read This.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Update Manager Offers a "Partial Upgrade"? Read This.

Thanks for the info.

I did a partial upgrade just after installing the Beta, which removed libgd2-noxpm and installed libgd2-xpm.

After checking Synaptic history, I realized these might also be due to a partial upgrade:

libpostproc51 replaced with libpostproc-extra-51

There are also the package guile-1.8-libs. I don't know if should be in the default installation or not. It seems to be added by a partial upgrade, but does not have any dependency when I mark it for removal.

Any info on these packages?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg View Post
    I'm not so sure either; I did voice my skepticism before starting this thread. It's indeed largely a "We'll see" experiment. But...

You could have posted that update to this thread, instead of starting a new one. Multiple threads on the exact same subject just waste space and increase noise.

Also note that there's no way to tell whether "there's a partial upgrade now", since people will be using different mirrors and updating at different times, thus issuing repetetive warnings will only be marginally useful. If people are unsure whether to go ahead with an update, they can ask.

In the future, if you have an issue with moderation, please post to the Resolution Center.
    Well, in hind site (why is hind site always 20/20?) you were right and I was wrong.

Please accept my aplogies

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Thanks for the info.

I did a partial upgrade just after installing the Beta, which removed libgd2-noxpm and installed libgd2-xpm.

After checking Synaptic history, I realized these might also be due to a partial upgrade:

libpostproc51 replaced with libpostproc-extra-51
    Those are examples of cases when you need a "Partial Upgrade" (if you're using Update Manager, that is), since a package is being replaced with a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux
    There are also the package guile-1.8-libs. I don't know if should be in the default installation or not. It seems to be added by a partial upgrade, but does not have any dependency when I mark it for removal.

Any info on these packages?
    Have you purposefully removed the default GNOME games? That package is pulled in by Aisleriot.

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Well, in hind site (why is hind site always 20/20?) you were right and I was wrong.

Please accept my aplogies:redface:
    No worries :)

Beans
    Distro

Have you purposefully removed the default GNOME games? That package is pulled in by Aisleriot.
    Yep, that clarifies it. I did remove gnome games. Thanks.

Beans

After the release of Ubuntu 9.10 Beta, we've been flooded with threads asking for assistance related to issues caused by careless usage of the "Partial Upgrade" feature of Update Manager. This document aims to clarify what a "Partial Upgrade" is, and why, in most cases, you'll want to avoid it.
    Dear all the Guru_s

Please remove the "Partial Upgrade" from the Update Manager, or please add the above message to the "Partial Upgrade" message in the Update Manager in the Ubuntu 9.10.

It is too late for me when I saw this above message, I did the mess up to my Ubuntu 9.10 beta already with the Partial Upgrade and now, I cannot update anything anymore, not even reinstall ubuntu from with in package manager or I don't know how?

I had.
    E: The package linux-image-2.6.31-13-generic needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.
    E: Internal error opening cache (1). Please report.

9.04 is verygood, 9.10 beta is the worst of all version I have tested.
    I mean gave me the worst experience with ubuntu because of this issue.

I don't care what is the advantage of the Partial Upgrade, but the old package manager from 8.04 till 9.04 never have this mess.

Remove it please or make it the old way or what ever ways??????\\\\\

or make it an option in the package manager and don't enable it by default.

And let the advance user enable that function if they want to do that.
    All the newbies like me and many other new user who want to try, majority of them will answer yes to partial upgrade.
    Since always UBUNTU 'S defualt options are good.

Who would know that it must answer NO.
    And if it must answer NO, why it should be there in the first place.

I waste 8 hours to solve the problems, only lucky now that I found this "thread".

I wish "23meg" can put his post underneath the "Partial Upgrade" in the Package manager.

Please do it as the old 8.04 till 9.04

Thanks
    UBUNTU SUPPORTER
    Last edited by aimwin; October 16th, 2009 at 05:21 AM.

Beans

I have to reinstall 9.10beta now for the 4th times, after

1. Crashed and never start up successfully after I upgrade to Nvidia Hardware driver.

2. Hang up at the start after spending install so many packages and update automatically.

3. Cannot update anything anymore, but other functions are perfect so far.

I will try the 4th and it will be the last for 9.10 beta.

I wish I am not a 9.10 beta, it is the worst of all my bad experience with ubuntu.

I hope those "want to try ubuntu" user will not get to this package.

Why?

For me I use Ubuntu instead of Fedora and others, because I found in the older package 8.04-9.04, the package manager are the best, and the most reliable.

Now not any more.

I am about to launch a new website promoting ubuntu in Thailand.

I am thinking twice and will now wait to see if this feature is going to be in 9.10.

If it is in there, I will delay the promotion of 9.10 and will "curse the 9.10 version" for make ubuntu the worse package of all present day linux.

Very Frustrating and Down.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

aimwim, I understand your frustrations. That reason alone is why I don't use update manager and instead use aptitude and have never had any problems. I started with alpha 3 and I am current as of today. Never an issue.

I agree. Something needs to be done in this area. Hopefully your words will not fall on deaf ears. I don't know if filling a bug report or if it has already be done would help.

Please don't give up on karmic. For me and a lot of others, it's just the best.
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aimwin View Post
    Dear all the Guru_s

Please remove the "Partial Upgrade" from the Update Manager, or please add the above message to the "Partial Upgrade" message in the Update Manager in the Ubuntu 9.10.
    Developers do not track this forum. If you want to report a bug go to Launchpad. If you want to suggest changes or new features, go to Ubuntu Brainstorm.

It is too late for me when I saw this above message, I did the mess up to my Ubuntu 9.10 beta already with the Partial Upgrade and now, I cannot update anything anymore, not even reinstall ubuntu from with in package manager or I don't know how?

9.04 is verygood, 9.10 beta is the worst of all version I have tested.
    I mean gave me the worst experience with ubuntu because of this issue.
    That's what happens when new users install a distro under development on a production environment. IT IS A BETA! Bugs are expected and updates can and most likely will break your system. Ubuntu 9.04 is a stable release that has been released for a while, so you can't compare it with the first Beta of a new release in terms of stability.

So, you are not supposed to use it if you depend on stability. The Beta is available for TESTING, so people can report the bugs and help improve it.

And let the advance user enable that function if they want to do that. All the newbies like me and many other new user who want to try, majority of them will answer yes to partial upgrade.
    If you don't have experience with package management and beta testing, you shouldn't be installing a Beta release or shouldn't be complaining about it the way you are doing. No one forced you to install it or forced it through Jaunty update manager.

I have to reinstall 9.10beta now for the 4th times, after

1. Crashed and never start up successfully after I upgrade to Nvidia Hardware driver.

2. Hang up at the start after spending install so many packages and update automatically.

3. Cannot update anything anymore, but other functions are perfect so far.

I will try the 4th and it will be the last for 9.10 beta.

I wish I am not a 9.10 beta, it is the worst of all my bad experience with ubuntu.

I hope those "want to try ubuntu" user will not get to this package.

Why?

For me I use Ubuntu instead of Fedora and others, because I found in the older package 8.04-9.04, the package manager are the best, and the most reliable.

Now not any more.

I am about to launch a new website promoting ubuntu in Thailand.

I am thinking twice and will now wait to see if this feature is going to be in 9.10.

If it is in there, I will delay the promotion of 9.10 and will "curse the 9.10 version" for make ubuntu the worse package of all present day linux.

Very Frustrating and Down.
    OMG. Please stop whining. Do yourself a favor and install final releases only.

Karmic Koala is the best version a have used so far and since I started to use Ubuntu it has been getting better and better. Of course there are such bugs you have described and have suffered with them myself, but I was fully aware that it could happen when I installed the Beta release.

BTW, "Partial Upgrades" has always been there, they are just not common for final and stable releases.

Beans

Thanks for comments, I will goto lunch pad and brain storm.

The purpose is to respond that there are problems, and that are the reasons we help testing.

I made this complains be cause I found more problems than previous versions.
    And I hope I would contribute to the improvement of Ubuntu.

But may be I use a too yelling complain, I hope you all understand, that just to show the level of the problems. So who ever responsible can compare the response if the problems are mild or strong or very important matter regarding the users' point of view.

Thanks again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Developers do not track this forum. If you want to report a bug go to Launchpad. If you want to suggest changes or new features, go to Ubuntu Brainstorm.
    -----------------------------------------------
    --------------------------

BTW, "Partial Upgrades" has always been there, they are just not common for final and stable releases.
    Are you saying that in the Final and the Stable Release, they won't put this feature, Partial Upgrades, as a default function?

But certainly the 8.10 beta and 9.04 beta had no problems like 9.10 beta.

Anyway I think for my experience I have more problems with 9.10 beta more than the previous version.

But I will do what VMC said I will try to use command line only for the time being.

Thanks

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast