Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Update Manager Offers a "Partial Upgrade"? Read This.

Beans

Re: Update Manager Offers a "Partial Upgrade"? Read This.

I would use synaptic, making sure that the default setting is for "Smart Update" (or smart upgrade, can't remember). This is not as safe as apt-get but close.

You probably have a bunch more updates that are not coming to you because of the lack of the new kernal (31-13.43).
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ranch hand View Post
    I would use synaptic, making sure that the default setting is for "Smart Update" (or smart upgrade, can't remember). This is not as safe as apt-get but close.

You probably have a bunch more updates that are not coming to you because of the lack of the new kernal (31-13.43).
    I looked at what you suggest, and fired up Synaptic set for Smart Update. Synaptic wants to upgrade the kernel and ubuntu-netbook-remix, which looks good to me. But it wants to *remove* libgd2-noxpm, and wants to newly install libgd2-xpm. It looks like this plan is okay, so I'm running the upgrade now. I'll let you know how it worked after I reboot and try it out for a while.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by popejeremy View Post
    I looked at what you suggest, and fired up Synaptic set for Smart Update. Synaptic wants to upgrade the kernel and ubuntu-netbook-remix, which looks good to me. But it wants to *remove* libgd2-noxpm, and wants to newly install libgd2-xpm. It looks like this plan is okay, so I'm running the upgrade now. I'll let you know how it worked after I reboot and try it out for a while.
    This is a perfect example of a situation in which a partial upgrade is both necessary and safe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I was told on this forum a while ago to use apt-get to upgrade, and that it's O.K. to do so as long as no packages are being removed, even if some packages are being held back.

But now the kernel and ubuntu-netbook-remix have been held back for a week or more. Did I do it wrong? Or do I just need to keep waiting?
    What packages are going to be removed? Is there similar named packages that are new that want to be installed?

Beans

Everything seems to work!

Beans

I like the new kernal too. Things look to be coming together.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

We hear from sidux that we should 'never' upgrade from inside the X environment. Of course Ubuntu's Update Manager takes care of this...if it's a stable release.
    I would recommend to update from outside X (ctrl+alt+f1). In Karmic the Gnome environment is proned to tantrums during system upgrades.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ikisham View Post
    We hear from sidux that we should 'never' upgrade from inside the X environment. Of course Ubuntu's Update Manager takes care of this...if it's a stable release.
    I would recommend to update from outside X (ctrl+alt+f1). In Karmic the Gnome environment is proned to tantrums during system upgrades.
    That's probably due to the fact most sidux users use that "smxi" script.
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans

Regarding the closing of my new thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1290557

I'm sure everyone reads all the sticky notes

We'll see!

I see no harm in incremental warnings by those who are involved in testing.

I think that was a bit rude!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob
    Regarding the closing of my new thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1290557

I'm sure everyone reads all the sticky notes

We'll see!
    I'm not so sure either; I did voice my skepticism before starting this thread. It's indeed largely a "We'll see" experiment. But...

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob
    I see no harm in incremental warnings by those who are involved in testing.

I think that was a bit rude!
    You could have posted that update to this thread, instead of starting a new one. Multiple threads on the exact same subject just waste space and increase noise.

Also note that there's no way to tell whether "there's a partial upgrade now", since people will be using different mirrors and updating at different times, thus issuing repetetive warnings will only be marginally useful. If people are unsure whether to go ahead with an update, they can ask.

In the future, if you have an issue with moderation, please post to the Resolution Center.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast