Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Update Manager Offers a "Partial Upgrade"? Read This.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Update Manager Offers a "Partial Upgrade"? Read This.

so when assessing partial upgrades, one should worry only about package removals? or also about package updates?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by andresmh View Post
    so when assessing partial upgrades, one should worry only about package removals? or also about package updates?
    A Partial Upgrade only occurs when one or more packages are to be removed. Otherwise it's a regular upgrade. New packages are inconsequential.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Why even offer a partial upgrade in the first place ? If the partial is offered in the case of unmet dependencies which almost certainly break systems, why is it a feature ? Unmet dependencies = unresolved packages + breakage, so if upgrade manager cannot resolve dependencies, why not this message:

"Update manager has discovered package dependency issues that may potentially harm the system. Please run the update manager at a later time"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Don't forget the option of running "sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade" in the terminal. I may be mistaken but I think doing it this way, the apt-get interface will "keep back" packages with unmet dependencies. This information is more relevant for those that really really want to install the good package updates, and ignore the bad ones.

Beans

Yes. Apt even holds back packages that Synaptic (with Smart Upgrade enabled) lets through. I recommend synaptic for those who insist on a gui. I use it on some of my 9.10 installs and apt on the others.

Apt is safer.

Update-manager needs to be just the way it is to test it, just like the other apps, in the real world of users. Hopefully those users are smart enough to realize that this is a "testing" release.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BCurtisWX View Post
    Don't forget the option of running "sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade" in the terminal. I may be mistaken but I think doing it this way, the apt-get interface will "keep back" packages with unmet dependencies. This information is more relevant for those that really really want to install the good package updates, and ignore the bad ones.
    That is true, but it's not the whole story.

A dist-upgrade is sometimes necessary to allow the installation of *new* packages, and sometimes a "Partial Upgrade" is actually necessary in order to replace an obsolete package with another (e.g. software-store -> software-center).

Theoretically, using "apt-get upgrade" could leave packages perpetually held-back, which is also not ideal.

Beans

Yup, you are right. That is one reason that I have several 9.10 versions installed. I can afford to really screw some up and still have some that work.

I am fighting with the new update right now. Both the synaptic and apt updates have buggered things up.

This is testing, you do need to take a chance now and then.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

There was a bug logged on this a couple days ago.

It might benefit from some constructive comments.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Red face Re: Update Manager Offers a "Partial Upgrade"? Read This.

Ahhhh I so wish I had seen this first! I guess my britches got too big after having so few problem with the Jaunty beta! I done broke my system. C'est la vie. No complaints I will most likely fool around with a few new distros until karmic goes final

I will consider this a teachable moment

Beans

I was told on this forum a while ago to use apt-get to upgrade, and that it's O.K. to do so as long as no packages are being removed, even if some packages are being held back.

But now the kernel and ubuntu-netbook-remix have been held back for a week or more. Did I do it wrong? Or do I just need to keep waiting?

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast