Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Update Manager Offers a "Partial Upgrade"? Read This.

Beans

Re: Update Manager Offers a "Partial Upgrade"? Read This.

Quote Originally Posted by neglesaks View Post
    I agree. I'm kind of a linux newbie, but I'm not new to computers and their innards, and first time I got the "PU" dialog, I was stumped, but asked it to perform a PU anyway out of ignorance. Fortunately, the PU only wrecked my system once (which was the upgrade from alpha 4 to a5 or KK.)
    I do not like Update Mangler, I do not use it on any of my installs, however, the update you are talking about can not be blamed, in any way, on U-M.

I think a majority of testing platforms had, at least some trouble with that. I had one install that was unbootable for 4 days although I could get to a terminal and update from there and it finally came around.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by flipper9 View Post
    When you get the dialog about the partial upgrade, it says NOTHING about what is about to happen.
    Well, if you don't know what a partial update is you should figure it out. Googling on partial upgrades is very informative, since you see tons of results where a partial upgrade fails. So that should give an indication on what button NOT to press. If you don't know ASK (or Google preferably, then ask if you're still not sure). This is even mentioned in the Code of Conduct, which you should have read because you have a launchpad account since you are running a development release.

You can blame the users for ignorance, but is that really improving Ubuntu? I thought we were about ease of use? Update Manager is supposed to be an end-user, easy-to-use utility. It SHOULD NOT screw things up.
    Well, blaming a user for being ignorance will not help Ubuntu, but hopefully it will change the mind set of a user of doing things without thinking. That would be a nice change in attitude

If one uses a development release, one is supposed to know that packages will not arrive in a consistent state on the archive (meaning that not all dependencies will be present at the same time, packages can be removed, etc). So this will lead to situations not seen on normal stable releases (as meg23 pointed out already).
    You are a normal user and you want ease of use? Use a stable release. There are currently 4 stable releases: Dapper/Hardy/Intrepid/Jaunty. Running a development release means: This is not stable, this is not ready for daily usage, this is not something you want to run when you are not willing to break stuff or not willing to fix breakage. This is meant for people who want to help testing and want to develop against our upcoming release. Normal users should not run a development release. And if they do, they should use all the resources they have available to make it a pleasant ride.

PS. I didn't mean you as in you personally btw
    Upgrade Ubuntu | Upgrade unsupported Ubuntu versions | Always backup | Howto upgrade flash
    Minimal CD install | Remove old kernels | My blog | Linux user #462801 | Conscience doth make cowards of us all. -- Shakespeare

Beans

True; Googling would help. But the dialog says nothing about this particular partial upgrade having the possibility of causing problems. It looks like it would do nothing potentially dangerous. Not a warning in red letters, or anything. "Partial Upgrade" seems pretty innocuous. People won't Google "Partial Upgrade" until things go wrong. Do we really want things to go wrong? Is this some kind of initiation to becoming a "seasoned user"? I don't think that's a good plan.

As for stable releases, I found the full Jaunty release and all associated updates to be pretty UNSTABLE on my laptop. I have found the Karmic unstable alpha/beta releases to be pretty STABLE on my laptop. Karmic really is the only way to go for those with Intel graphics on their laptops, whether it's a beta or not. For me running Ubuntu on my laptop, I really had no choice but to run Karmic instead of Jaunty or run something really older without features that I wanted. It was either that or go back to Windows that fully supported my laptop without issues. (not trying to be a Troll; I really like Linux and want to use it, but things are not as good as in Windows, especially with the attitudes about developers vs. users mentality).
    Last edited by flipper9; October 22nd, 2009 at 07:14 PM.

Beans

When you are getting 3 kernel updates in 3 days it is a pretty good clue that things are in flux.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have had to do a clean re-install of Karmic. Should I hold off on updates completely at this point? How will I know when it is safe?

Beans

It should be "safe" after the Final Release. That is why this is called "testing". To find out what breaks and get it fixed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by MRife View Post
    I have had to do a clean re-install of Karmic. Should I hold off on updates completely at this point? How will I know when it is safe?
    You will know after thoroughly reading 23meg's post, and applying the steps to your installation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks, I would not have thought that updates would wreck the whole system. I am not complaining about testing (just curious). My curiosity is what prodded me to install Karmic and it has been a learning experience.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Update Manager Offers a "Partial Upgrade"? Read This.

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    AMEM to that!

I don't want Ubuntu to discourage anyone from testing the "testing" distros. The more the better, even if some poor inexperienced newby wonders in. It's their computer and their responsibility to read the fine print.

The more testers, the more bugs to uncover. Not withstanding VM users, which really only check the installation process. And how many of them do we need. We need more hardware testers!
    I agree, Beta should be advertise.
    But only with the conditions.

Better warning message.

Can we debate on what is the negative or bad image of "better warning message"?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg View Post
    And does not, in stable releases, which end users use, as has been said many times in this thread.
    Dear 23meg,

Please comment if there is any negative effect if we have a better warning, especially your "statements" or "warning" which I quoted as a "better warning in beta"

Thank you, with great respect.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast