Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: GRUB 2 Introduction

Beans

Re: GRUB 2 Introduction

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    stevetxt,

If you don't have a recovery mode displayed, you can stop the G2 menu, select a menu item and press E, then on the linux /boot/vmlinuz.... line just add the word "single" and boot (CTRL-X).

The question is, will you remember this when your computer is crashing?
    I really like the symbolic menuentries.

I did not think that adding the "single" to them would work and I was right - bummer. One thing they will not do.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ranch hand View Post
    I really like the symbolic menuentries.

I did not think that adding the "single" to them would work and I was right - bummer. One thing they will not do.
    I boot a standard Karmic kernel from a grub-generated entry. If I add "single" to the end of the line below it boots to the recovery menu. I don't know if the "quiet splash" options would need to be removed if present on the line.
    Code:
    menuentry "karmic 2.6.31-13-generic" {
       recordfail=1
       save_env recordfail
       set quiet=1
       insmod ext2
       set root=(hd0,1)
       search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 1c5760dc-493c279382f0
       linux  /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-13-generic root=UUID=1c5760dc-493c279382f0 ro  single
       initrd  /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-13-generic
    }
    Last edited by drs305; October 12th, 2009 at 12:32 AM. Reason: formatting
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans

I tried what drs305 suggested and it worked. Plus, the grub2 menu reminds me to type "e" for edit and "control x" to boot. Based on the discussion between drs305 and Ranch Hand I deleted the quiet splash on the line in which I wrote "single". That got me to the recovery menu. So, thanks, I am cleaning up my grub 2 menu some more by uncommenting the line in /etc/default/grub to disable the recovery options.

Beans

Grub2 is plainly a little rough around the edges yet but it really is pretty neat as it is. I think that you will like it.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

Yeah, I do like it. I'm just seeing now I can do things with it I could not with grub 1, like move things around to have the automatically generated kernels placed lower in the menu after custom entries if I want.

Thanks you guys. These posts on grub 2 have really been helpful --- and fun.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question Re: GRUB 2 Introduction

Please advise.
    I have 3 physical HDD in my desktop machine. GRUB2 works fine until I remove one. Then it gives an error, presumably due to (hd1,1) now being (hd0,1) etc. I have UUID in the config file. Why does it not use the UUID to find the root partition instead of the unreliable (hd0,1) method?
    How do I make GRUB2 install itself to each physical disk so that it won't freak out when one of them gets removed? I have looked at the documentation and various forum entries for hours and I am none the wiser.
    Please note the error happens even when the removed disk is NOT the hd0 disk.

Beans

I do not know how your bios works nor do you say if all the drives are internal.

I have, right now, three drives. They are;

Main=internal with my production OS

32bit test=internal with 32bit OS' (this box will run either as 32bit or 64bit)

External=64bit test platform is a dual SATA external enclosure

All of these boot independently. If I work on the 32bit test I have the external switched off and the Main turned of in bios. When I work on the external I have both internals turned off in bios.

Now I have also installed a 9.10 on the 32bit test while leaving the external turned on so that it boots both from the 32bit test. As my bios are set to boot first from the a usb device, if I am going to boot from the 32bit I have to hit the boot menu when my bios screen comes up because if the external menu comes up it will not work (just like yours).

The external menu works fine if it is the only drive being used.

So, I do not know why this is the way it is.

I do know that it is easy to change which grub2 using OS that you boot from. Therefore, if you can have the grub2 version change to another before you take a drive off line that is set up for the drives that are going to be left.

Beans
    Distro

Exclamation Re: GRUB 2 Introduction

Thanks very much ranch hand for your posting!! The added grub 2 functionality is needed, that's for sure. Chain loading works OK on my machine.

I am bracing to see what this change will mean for beginners in a few short weeks. On first impressions, the package name is the first thing that seems off to me. Why grub-pc and not grub2 or even a meta package?

Documentation seems an issue right now. The man pages are minimalistic. I can't find any info pages at all on a default install even though I do see grub.texi in the package sources. The grub-doc package is not grub2.

All the instructions I have found say to do some kind of script but my trials so far show that 40_custom is just appended via the command

Code:
    exec tail -n +3 $0
    Tracing the execution path through all these scripts will be quite a challenge for beginners. Rough around the edges indeed. I guess it's better to get it all over with than delay the inevitable. There are some good opportunities here for people to contribute.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@ grantbow,

I feel your pain. There is some good information available - it's just not consolidated and it's not official. In particular to your post, here is a guide for installing/testing GRUB 2:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Grub2Testing

In addition to ranch hand's excellent introduction, I have fairly extensive posts on Grub 2 Basics and Grub 2 Title Tweaks, and Herman's site has more information than most of us would want/need at
    http://members.iinet.net/~herman546/p20.html

I spent a good portion of today working on what will be the official Ubuntu Community Documentation page, which will include some information on initial installations and settings. Most of what I know about, however, I've already posted in my threads so there won't be a lot of new information there I'm afraid.

I completely agree that there is going to be a steep learning curve for users new to Grub 2 and October 29th may be pretty messy. I doubt it will happen, but I agree with ranch hand that there should probably be a separate GRUB 2 forum available - at least initially. That would at minimum consolidate all the posts about GRUB into one place where a new user could go for guidance and information.
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grantbow View Post
    Thanks very much ranch hand for your posting!! The added grub 2 functionality is needed, that's for sure. Chain loading works OK on my machine.

I am bracing to see what this change will mean for beginners in a few short weeks. On first impressions, the package name is the first thing that seems off to me. Why grub-pc and not grub2 or even a meta package?

Documentation seems an issue right now. The man pages are minimalistic. I can't find any info pages at all on a default install even though I do see grub.texi in the package sources. The grub-doc package is not grub2.

All the instructions I have found say to do some kind of script but my trials so far show that 40_custom is just appended via the command

Code:
    exec tail -n +3 $0
    Tracing the execution path through all these scripts will be quite a challenge for beginners. Rough around the edges indeed. I guess it's better to get it all over with than delay the inevitable. There are some good opportunities here for people to contribute.
    Well, thank you for the kind words. I think I probably owed the "community" something for all the help I have received.

I agree with everything drs305 has said. One of the reasons for my post was to put links up to information from him and herman and the wiki and where ever else I can find stuff that people can use.

I also wanted it to be non-threatening to bewildered folks who have a new and very different boatloader.

I think actual noobs, say dual booting with Win Jerry Lewis Pro for their first Linux experience, will actually have little trouble with this.

We really do need a sticky in the ABT forum and, while the idea was not mine in the first place, a sub-forum would not be bad either.

I think grub2 is going to be better than grub-legacy. I have only been at this a year and I have come to dearly love grub-legacy. Grub2 is causing my eye to wonder.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast