Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GRUB 2 Introduction

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: GRUB 2 Introduction

Quote Originally Posted by ljrmorgan View Post
    If we're going to have a "one thread to rule them all" on grub2, can someone post how to limit the number of kernels that appear in the list, I have too many already!
    Hopefully a new version of StartUp-Manager will be developed or Grub 2 will add this functionality in the near future.

I am just finishing up a post on Grub 2 Menu Tweaks that will include a way to hide specific kernels. It is an alternative to creating a custom folder, but will be primarily for control freaks as the user must set pararmeters.

Others will be able to expand and improve the tweaks I post. I hope to publish the post tomorrow.
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

If we're going to have a "one thread to rule them all" on grub2, can someone post how to limit the number of kernels that appear in the list, I have too many already!
    What I do:
    open synaptic, search for "kernel" scroll down to kernel files, uninstall all the old kernels. They get removed from grub. And you free up a lot of space (80mb or so per kernel).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think ranch hand and andrewabc pretty much covered this, but if you would like another summary of how to remove older kernels check Section 3, Removing Entries from Grub 2, in this post:
    Grub 2 Basics
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans

I would add that if you have another Linux OS installed and it uses a /boot partition, then grub2 may not generate the proper grub.cfg entries and you will not be able to boot the other OS. (There do seem to be bug reports for this but I see no activity on them.)

You can work around this by providing your own entries as described in the first post that specify the /boot partition for the search line and specify the correct path for the initial RAM disk and kernel. More on this in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1284332

-hank

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,

How I can enter the recovery mode after installing grub2?
    Maybe something is wrong with my installation but it does not show any menu and directly start the boot process for ubuntu (I have upgraded from 9.4 to 9.10 and only have Ubuntu on my computer)

Thanks
    Ubuntu 10.04
    ATI 3470
    4 GB RAM.

Beans

Ah yes. It is easy for me to forget these things.

When you install 9.10 as the only OS, "hidden menu" is default.

Hitting Esc does not work as in grub-legacy. Hold your space bar down and that should bring up your menu.

I would get into your /etc/default/grub file and hash out the hidden menu stuff;
    Code:
    GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    GRUB_TIMEOUT="100"
    As you can see it is only the one line you need to hash out.

You need to run;
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    to get this written to the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file.

Yes I have a long time out on the menu. It is my box and I can be silly if I want to.

You should have no trouble with grub2 with only one OS on your box. It uses a different script to get the menuentry for the OS you are on and it does a great job.

Some people have had trouble on some boxes with this;
    Code:
    menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-13-generic" {
            recordfail=1
            save_env recordfail
        set quiet=1
        insmod ext2
        set root=(hd0,16)
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 593f6939-f51c-496d-a90a-c7cb942a22af
        linux    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-13-generic root=UUID=593f6939-f51c-496d-a90a-c7cb942a22af ro   quiet splash
        initrd    /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-13-generic
    }
    causing booting problems.

Hit "e" in the grub menu to edit and remove the lines;
    Code:
      recordfail=1
            save_env recordfail
    and you should be fine.

If you have this problem I would make a custom entry so you don't need to worry about it.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you very much ranch hand. It solved my problem.
    Ubuntu 10.04
    ATI 3470
    4 GB RAM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Lightbulb Re: GRUB 2 Introduction

ranch tks for taking the time good informative thread

Beans

I'm having some trouble trying to work out the grub2 config.

I've installed karmic beta on my (already dual boot) and had the usual "where's my existing OSses gone?" moment. I've run "update-grub" and that brought all the old choices back into the grub boot menu...

Probelm is - they don't work. Every last one of the "other" osses gives me this error "You need to load the kernel first" when I try to boot it. Even the old memtest86es don't work.

My main existing OS is ubuntu jaunty running off /dev/vg2/ujroot with /boot mount ed on /dev/sda1. For the karmic beta install I created a new boot partition (/dev/sda9) and a new root partition (/dev/vg2/ukbroot).

Both old and new installs were done with the "alternative" installer (in order to access the LVM).

This is the menu entry the OS prober generated for my main OS.

Code:
     menuentry "Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-15-generic (on /dev/mapper/vg2-ujroot)" {
             insmod lvm
             insmod ext2
             set root=(vg2-ujroot)
             search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 05b50872-4bbb-4682-afc0-cdd8b62a5df5
             linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-15-generic root=/dev/mapper/vg2-ujroot ro
             initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-15-generic
    }
    This looks, to me, like the os-prober has completely missed the fact that /boot is a separate partition! (I think this used to work in previous versions.) I've tried to rewrite this entry as suggested at the start of this thread, also changing the device to the boot partition and removing /boot from the paths, but this still doesn't work:

Code:
    menuentry "Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-15-generic (on /dev/mapper/vg2-ujroot)" {
             set root=(hd0,0)
             linux /vmlinuz-2.6.28-15-generic root=/dev/mapper/vg2-ujroot ro
             initrd /initrd.img-2.6.28-15-generic
    }
    Any ideas what's wrong?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by professorYaffle View Post
    I'm having some trouble trying to work out the grub2 config.
    Okay - I found the problem. Looks like "(hd0,0)" should be "(hd0,1)". This works, but is rather confusing! Has grub2 really switched to counting partitions from 1 instead of 0, but at the same time not switched counting disks from 0 to 1?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast