Thread: GRUB 2 Introduction

Beans

Re: Grub2 introduction

Excellent job!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Excellent job!
    Boy am I glad to hear from you. I knew I forgot a link.

An escape may be the best way out for some folks.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ranch hand View Post
    Boy am I glad to hear from you. I knew I forgot a link.

An escape may be the best way out for some folks.
    I rather hope very few decide to downgrade.

I've got it down to where I can flip from old to new or vice versa in about 15 minutes.

Yesterday after reinstalling Grub2 totally fresh just for fun I ran update-grub and only one menu entry was added that needn't be, everything else just worked like it should!

Beans

Nice thread

Configfile is nice command too. For example
    Code:
    configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg.old
    loads previous configfile.

or
    Code:
    configfile (partition)/boot/grub/grub.cfg
    where you have to tell right partition if there is problem finding the grub.cfg.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Excellent! I've added this as the top link on my Grub 2 Basics post.

I believe once a version is released the testing forum section is closed and archived. Hopefully this will be preserved on an active forum.
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans

Re: GRUB 2 Introduction

I really like this new system of updating grub a lot better. Auto detection of installed operating systems with a single command? Who'd a thunk it? I say it's about time for this. I do hope that custom boot options will be saved from one kernel upgrade to the next like they are in legacy along with preserving entries as well because I use Grub to boot from my CDs instead of the BIOS for added security. Basically my menu looks like this:

==================================
    Ubuntu - 9.04 - KERNEL X.XX
    Ubuntu Recovery

Boot from DVD / CD-ROM
    Boot from USB
    ==================================

Of course a password is needed to boot the last three options

Beans

The contents of your custom file are in /etc/grub.d/xx_custom. It is the source of your /boot/grub/grub.cfg file which, in turn, is the source of the menu you see. Therefore, running update-grub, does not effect it. As long as you use the generic (sybolic) menuentry it is being pointed at whatever is bootable on that partition.

You can format and reinstall and the menuentry will work.

What I like better than the updating of your menu, is the setting of what OS you are using as boor/root. Boot to that OS, run "sudo grub-install /dev/sda" and in a few seconds it is finnished and that is your new boot/root. I use this to try different menu entries in custom files. As long as I can boot to one other OS, I can get changed back quicker than booting the CD, going through the grub find, etc, sutting down the CD and rebooting. Really slick.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

If we're going to have a "one thread to rule them all" on grub2, can someone post how to limit the number of kernels that appear in the list, I have too many already!

Beans

I would remove most of those kernals. A lot of the updates we have had will not work if you go back 4 or 5. One old one is all you need.

Os-prober is going to look for all of them. If you make a custom menu file in /etc/grub.d that is booting all of your OS', you can change the permissions on 10_linux, 20memtest86+ and 30_os-prober. Run update-grub. Nothing on your menu but your custom entries.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ljrmorgan View Post
    If we're going to have a "one thread to rule them all" on grub2, can someone post how to limit the number of kernels that appear in the list, I have too many already!
    Computer janitor is very good at picking up old kernels and removing them for you.
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast