Thread: Finish my Karmic update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Finish my Karmic update

My install was all through updates. I never did a clean install. I understand a clean install is the way to go as I will get Grub2 and ext4. Is there a simple set of code for backing up my system to a dvd then installing it over the fresh install? Would tarballing the home directory to a dvd be enough? I have already burned all the photo's I had onto a disk. I hate to ask, but there are so many different posts about this that I couldn't figger out which is best.

Cheers!
    You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Finish my Karmic update

Maybe "Remastersys" is what your looking for.

I haven't used it since Harty. Go here for limitations
    Last edited by VMC; October 29th, 2009 at 02:51 PM.
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Nesaskewatch View Post
    My install was all through updates. I never did a clean install. I understand a clean install is the way to go as I will get Grub2 and ext4. Is there a simple set of code for backing up my system to a dvd then installing it over the fresh install? Would tarballing the home directory to a dvd be enough? I have already burned all the photo's I had onto a disk. I hate to ask, but there are so many different posts about this that I couldn't figger out which is best.

Cheers!
    I dunno... I never do a clean install, simply don't see the need.
    You can upgrade to grub2 via:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2
    You can upgrade to ext4 via:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1118295

I never understood why people find the need to do clean installs for linux. It's not windows, it's not like a clean install will make your machine "faster" again (as windows users often seems to experience). Even if there is a difference it's probably negligible.

Beans
    Distro

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nesaskewatch View Post

Cheers!
    Your tarball would work fine. Unless you have important settings to save, just a simple copy of the home would do too.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN