Thread: [HELP!!] VLC media player wont play movies

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Exclamation [HELP!!] VLC media player wont play movies

Hey people. Im a ubuntu noob, and im running ubuntu off a new computer.

When I open VLC media player or the standard Ubuntu Media Player, and try to play a file, the program closes immediatly. When I open VLC using Terminal, this comes up.

VLC media player 0.9.9a Grishenko
    [00000001] main libvlc debug: VLC media player - version 0.9.9a Grishenko - (c) 1996-2009 the VideoLAN team
    [00000001] main libvlc debug: libvlc was configured with ./configure '--build=i486-linux-gnu' '--enable-maintainer-mode' '--enable-release' '--prefix=/usr' '--enable-libtool' '--enable-fast-install' '--with-binary-version=2ubuntu1' '--disable-update-check' '--disable-gnome' '--disable-gtk' '--disable-familiar' '--disable-fb' '--enable-ggi' '--enable-sdl' '--enable-esd' '--enable-mad' '--enable-jack' '--enable-pulse' '--enable-lirc' '--enable-a52' '--enable-aa' '--enable-dvbpsi' '--enable-mozilla' '--with-mozilla-pkg=libxul-plugin' '--disable-kde' '--enable-mp4' '--enable-dvb' '--disable-satellite' '--enable-ogg' '--enable-vorbis' '--enable-shout' '--enable-qt4' '--disable-slp' '--enable-flac' '--disable-skins' '--disable-basic-skins' '--enable-skins2' '--enable-freetype' '--enable-mkv' '--enable-speex' '--enable-caca' '--enable-live555' '--enable-libmpeg2' '--enable-fribidi' '--enable-cdio' '--enable-mod' '--enable-theora' '--enable-modplug' '--enable-dvdnav' '--enable-gnutls' '--enable-ffmpeg' '--enable-ncurses' '--enable-smb' '--disable-gnomevfs' '--enable-bonjour' '--enable-mpc' '--enable-vcd' '--enable-vcdx' '--enable-notify' '--enable-twolame' '--enable-faad' '--disable-zvbi' '--enable-telx' '--enable-mediacontrol-bindings' '--disable-atmo' '--enable-taglib' '--enable-libass' '--enable-libdca' '--enable-realrtsp' '--disable-dv' '--enable-x264' '--enable-alsa' '--enable-v4l' '--enable-v4l2' '--enable-pvr' '--enable-svgalib' '--enable-dvd' '--without-dvdcss' 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,--as-needed' 'CPPFLAGS=' 'CXXFLAGS=-g -O2'
    [00000001] main libvlc debug: translation test: code is "C"
    [00000001] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
    [????????] x11 video output error: X11 request 132.19 failed with error code 11:
    BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
    X Error of failed request: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
    Major opcode of failed request: 132 (XVideo)
    Minor opcode of failed request: 19 ()
    Serial number of failed request: 80
    Current serial number in output stream: 81
    Segmentation fault

I have no idea what this means, if anyone could translate it into english that would be great. Im thinking that it may be a problem with my video card (I have a new computer and unsure what type or how good it is) What is a good way to find out my video card specs? Thanks in advance for any help
    Last edited by Jedi_Knight; October 8th, 2009 at 02:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: [HELP!!] VLC media player wont play movies

What graphics card do you have? If it's an ATI or Nvidia, do you have a proprietary driver loaded for it?
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Here is a link to another post. See my first post, there is a lot of info on adding codecs and VLC and Medibuntu, etc. that you may want to add to your system.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1285431
    Six Saturdays a week for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

1) Check your video card model.
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    If it's Nvidia or ATI, you should make sure the drivers are installed (but they wouldn't be causing this error), System-->Administration-->Hardware Drivers.

Are you opening a file which launches VLC, or does this happen even if just the program is launched? You may want to delete your profile.
    Code:
    rm .config/vlc/vlcrc
    If that still doesn't work, try removing and reinstalling vlc.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove vlc && sudo apt-get autoclean && sudo apt-get install vlc