Thread: Important questions before migration

Beans

Question Important questions before migration

Hello everybody,

I am a longtime mac user (since OS 8.5) and I am currently running on Leopard. I have since 8.5 owned every single release of the Mac OS.

However, lately Apple is heading into a direction I don't really like and I might do a jump into the unknown by migrating full time to Ubuntu.

I have Ubuntu installed now for two months in dual boot and experimented a bit.

But, before I migrate and use Ubuntu as my every day OS, I need to make sure a few things, and so I hope that I am able to get some answers here.

1. I am using iWork '09 as a daily work tool, and I simply can not live without it, for the following reasons:

- It's ease of use for making page layouts with Pages.
    - Keynote presentations

What equivalent software exists on Linux ?

2. One program which is absolutely essential to me on Mac OS is Rapidweaver by Real Mac Software. I simply need the program in order to keep my webpage up to date and I have no clue about HTML and PHP programming whatsoever.

So NVU is not an option as I have tried it last time it is much less intuitive. So any template based, WYSIWYG editor would do.

Also, I have a Time Machine backup of my system:

3. Is there an equivalent backup solution to Time Machine on Ubuntu and is it possible to make the time machine backup disk readable under Ubuntu ? As it would avoid me to move each file manually ?

Please, once I have solved these problems I would be ready to migrate full time to Ubuntu, so please, help me answer these few questions.

Thank you everybody.

Cheers.

P.S.: I use my computer 80% for work and 20% for leisure.
    Last edited by aznakh; October 5th, 2009 at 09:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Important questions before migration

There are software tools for doing the things you want, but be aware that no matter how good the programs are, you will have a learning curve ahead of you. Some things will be frustrating for you at first, and other things will be better.

For presentations, Open Office has a powerpoint-like program called Presentation.

For Time-Machine like backups, take a look at Back in Time: http://backintime.le-web.org/

Can't help you on Rapidweaver equivalent.
    Dell Studio XPS 1640, 2.6 GHz processor, 4 GB RAM
    Multi-booting Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8, UBUNTU 12.04, UBUNTU Gnome Remix 12.10 Beta, and MINT 11

Beans

For a WYSIWYG web development tool try Kompozer. I am currently checking it out. You might wanna do the same. A lot of people have recommended it, so might be worth a shot.

BuntyBuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Kompozer is cool. Does me but I was using it in the Windows world. It is NVU though and as you say, that is not intuitive enough for you ...