Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire 1410 RED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Acer Aspire 1410 RED & Intel WiFi Link 100

Dear Ubuntu community!

Recently I've bought a new shiny Acer Aspire 1410 RED, which features an Intel WiFi Link 100 wireless card (whole chipset is actually Intel). It shipped with a very limited Linpus Linux (there was even no X, just bare console!) based on 2.6.24 kernel. Even pci.ids database was missing there...

Anyway, after installing Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty Jackalope", with its 2.6.28 kernel, GDM, XOrg worked fine. But the wireless card I've got doesn't work in 2.6.28.

A little Googling led me to a page, where I found out that the driver for this wireless card is "iwlagn", and that I needed firmware for this card to work. I've downloaded iwlwifi-1000-ucode-128.50.3.1.tgz firmware archive from http://www.intellinuxwireless.org/?n=Downloads and extracted it to /lib/kernel/firmware or something like that (dmesg showed that driver module did find the firmware there, but I would then basically get the same issue, as in the following bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/439285).

It doesn't work in Karmic's 2.6.31-11, too, according to the above mentioned bug.

Also in that bug report, there are two options reported:

1. Install linux-backports-modules for the kernel in use
    2. Install linux-image-2.6.32 from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline

I tried both, with little overall success. First, linux-backports-modules for 2.6.28-11 would not work. It would complain about iwlagn not being able to find EEPROM on the wifi card. (I'm currently away from that laptop, so cannot give you any actual logs, I'll add them later today).

Second option is actually moderately successful -- the card is being correctly detected and even WiFi card's LED is lit up! But I could not connect to my AP to get an IP address using DHCP -- which is a problem I'd leave to be solved later.

Because there's another issue with 2.6.32: for some reason with v2.6.32-RC1 kernel from the above mentioned link, it would not load GNOME. It manages to load XOrg server until black screen with mouse pointer appears and then it stops. I can't change to a console using any of the CTRL+ALT+F1 ... F6 buttons, I can't kill (restart) X using CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE. Only hard reboot helps.

The video card is Intel GMA 4500 MHD.

I tried to see the X.0.log, dmesg, everything, but it would be almost completely identical to the logs of a successful load of 2.6.28-11, except for timestamps and kernel version, of course, without any errors or warnings... Maybe someone of you knows of any known compatibility issues of Jaunty with that newer kernel?

I can see, that I could try and install the 9.10 Karmic Koala Beta, which has a slightly newer kernel than Jaunty and then install the linux-backports-modules for 2.6.31 on to that... Anyone of you tried it? Any luck?

I'd like to know if anyone had any similar issues (with Acer Aspire 1410 RED, or at least with the WiFi Link 100 wireless LAN card) and if they did, maybe they could point me to a possible solution or lack thereof? Let's investigate this together, because I think my head will explode soon from all these problems...
    Last edited by deemoowoor; October 7th, 2009 at 09:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Acer Aspire 1410 RED

Anyone having the same issue? Maybe I missed something obvious?

Beans
    Distro

i have the same problem, i use a laptop 64 bit, amd, someone can help me?

Beans
    Distro

Do you mean that you've got the same WiFi card? Or same laptop (Acer Aspire 1410 RED / 1810T)? It actually comes with a Celeron Core 2 Solo with an Intel chipset motherboard...

If you just happen to have a problem with another WiFi card, I'd suggest you to open a new thread. Definitely specify the model of the WiFi card installed (this can be done by typing the following on the console:

Code:
    lspci
    You will find the WiFi card listed as a Wireless LAN card or something similar.
    Last edited by deemoowoor; October 8th, 2009 at 01:00 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deemoowoor View Post
    Do you mean that you've got the same WiFi card? Or same laptop (Acer Aspire 1410 RED / 1810T)? It actually comes with a Celeron Core 2 Solo with an Intel chipset motherboard...

If you just happen to have a problem with another WiFi card, I'd suggest you to open a new thread. Definitely specify the model of the WiFi card installed (this can be done by typing the following on the console:

Code:
    lspci
    You will find the WiFi card listed as a Wireless LAN card or something similar.
    OK I had put the 2.26.32 RC3 kernel on mine and manged to switch to CTRL+ALT+F2, the wifi card works well, I managed to connect to my wireless network from command line and get a dhcp.

BTW it the notebook also comes in a version with a Celeron 743M with the same wireless card. Guess will have to wait for the official 2.26.32 Kernel to come up... wondered if we would use Kernel 2.26.31 (which partially identfies the network card) and try to compile the kernel module from the sources of the .32 Did anybody try?

Beans

Ok I got it working. I am using ubuntu 9.10 beta with kernel 2,.6.31-12 generic. Hope this helps. I had to activate in the software sources the karmic repositories for it to do a partial upgrade which included the new kernel. Waiting to hear if you managed to make it work, maybe we can write a tutorial or smth...

Beans
    Distro

Thanks a lot for the info, I'll try it out!

Beans
    Distro

Yes, it's a success!! Let's write a how-to.

I've also noticed now, that Bluetooth doesn't work in Karmic on this laptop, although it used to in Jaunty with 2.6.28-11... A regression in kernel package or something needs to be setup first?

Basically, to make the WiFi Link 100 work in Ubuntu:

Update to Karmic's kernel:
    Option 1: Install Karmic from scratch or make a dist-upgrade to it
    Option 2: Install kernel image 2.6.31-12 from Karmic's updates http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/ba....31-12-generic

Second option is an alternative, which should also do the trick. Did not try it myself, but I think it should work, too!
    Last edited by deemoowoor; October 9th, 2009 at 01:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Concerning Bluetooth, it was my mistake: I forgot about the hardware button to switch it on. It works as good as it did in Jaunty.

Beans

Hi,

This is all a bit confusing to me: on my Acer Aspire 1410 (Black, not red), the wireless works fine on a fresh install of 9.04 Jaunty (amd64).

Lspci reports me having an Intel Corporation Wireless WiFi Link 5100.

Running the 2.6.28-15-generic kernel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast