Thread: downside of upgrading Ubuntu

Beans

downside of upgrading Ubuntu

I am currently running Jaunty Jackalope. As a convert from windows I am really pleased with the stability of my system.
    When Karmic comes out at end of october does that mean that there will be no more updates / security fixes for Jaunty?
    I would like to continue running Jaunty whats the downside of doing this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: downside of upgrading Ubuntu

Jaunty will reach end of life in October 2010 so you are fine to stay with that for the time being.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Advantages of upgrading to 9.10:

- Grub2, new look, several little improvements etc...

Disadvantages:

- I did some 10 upgrades as an ubuntu user so far: 80% of the times flawlessly, 20% ... so and so. I have found it easier to reinstall sometimes (especially if you have a separate /home partition).

- I have also had better luck upgrading, after 3-4 weeks from the release. Many bugs get fixed the first weeks of release
    AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2,8 GHz - GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P - 6 GB RAM Mushkin DDR3 1333 - ZOTAC GeForce 9800 GT 1 GB DDR3

Beans

the downside of upgrading immediately is that you place your system's stability at risk. every new Ubuntu release, there are many people who's install broke when they did an in-place upgrade (instead of clean install)... maybe this figure is 1%, maybe it is 10%... who knows?

ubuntu 9.04 is only 6 months old. many peopl are still using Windows XP, which is pushing a decade old, and are quite happy with it.

if you are completely satisfied with 9.04 and not interested in any of the new features of 9.10, then i'd go ahead and stick with what works. 9.04 will continue to recieve security updates for 18 months after the 4th month of 2009.

if 18 month's isn't long enough to make you happy, you could consider sticking with the Long Term Releases.

8.04 will have 3 years of support from the 4th month of 2008.
    10.04, when it comes out, will have 3 years of support from the 4th month of 2010.
    12.04... etc. you get the idea

the downside, of course, is that 9.04 will mostly only have the latest-and-greatest of programs that where out when 9.04 was released. Firefox 4.0, for example, may not be officially backported to ubuntu 9.04 when it comes out.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans

I do have a seperate home partition, so what will happen to all the applications I already have installed under Jaunty if i do a clean install?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by earthpigg View Post
    the downside of upgrading immediately is that you place your system's stability at risk. every new Ubuntu release, there are many people who's install broke when they did an in-place upgrade (instead of clean install)
    This, this, this!
    I got burned big time when upgrading to 8.04. My system would lock up within minutes and there was no way to downgrade (it turned out to be a bug in Xwindows). After a few days of ripping my hair out, I ended up using GParted to create a new partition, install 7.04 there and mount my "upgraded" partition as /home.
    At the very least, run the Live CD for a day or two to make sure the new version works. Install it to a flash drive and run it from there. Install 9.10 to a new partition or new hard drive. Back up your data somewhere. Anything but an upgrade!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by corkscrew View Post
    I do have a seperate home partition, so what will happen to all the applications I already have installed under Jaunty if i do a clean install?
    you will need to install the apps again, but once you do they will use your existing settings and whatnot.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.