Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaming From Another Perspective

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Gaming From Another Perspective

Hi. I like playing computer games. But I don't play any of the games most discussed on "gaming" boards. I call them "boy games", but I suppose that's being sexist. I imagine there are females who enjoy them, as well, but nevertheless, I think of them as mainly being played by guys. They generally involve battles of some sort; war games, strategy, guns, or driving of some sort; car racing, flying, etc.

But there's a whole different type of gamer out there who love other types of games. Some of those games fit into the category of casual gaming. A few of the types that I particularly enjoy include Hidden Object games and some of the more sophisticated Match 3 games such as Luxor or Zuma.

There are TONS of people who like those kinds of games but don't like the "boy games". TONS, I tell ya! TONS!

Anyway, if Linux would ever get around to catering to these types of "gamers", you'd see a much bigger audience swinging towards the OS. Granted, many of these types of gamers aren't tech-savvy, so it will be a little harder, but I know lots of people who won't switch simply because they can't download and play games like Zuma or Luxor on their machine.

Now, at first, I thought it was simply the fact that Shockwave games can't be played on Linux that was the stopping point. If the games on Shockwave.com could be downloaded and played on Linux, the problem would be solved. But since that probably won't happen in the next few hundred years, I assumed all was lost.

But then, WAIT! I found OceaniX. And it runs on Linux just fine, tyvm.

Now, granted, it's not the most sophisticated game of its sort out there, but it clearly demonstrates that this type of thing is possible - and still look modern - and not like the games of 20 years ago.

There are some good screenshots here: http://www.bigfishgames.com/download...nix/index.html

The actual linux version can be downloaded here:
    http://linux.softpedia.com/get/GAMES...iX-46592.shtml

Apparently, it uses some sort of game engine called Zen-GL. The point is: it's possible! It works. And if more games were created that fit into this type of gamer's mold, it would make a difference.

Just wanted to remind the geeky boys of the Linux world that there are other types of gamers out there and that we'd love to be included when y'all are making games, aight?
    You'll never shine if you don't glow

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Gaming From Another Perspective

People who make these games for free in their spare time normally are making the games they themselves want to play. If the programmers are geeky boys, they're going to make geeky boy games. PopCap games provides Mac ports of their casual games so it wouldn't be difficult to provide a Linux version. If there's enough demand, they will.

Beans
    Distro

Just sayin' - huge market waiting to be tapped - and another way to get Linux established with the everyday folks out there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by dazzlindonna View Post
    Just sayin' - huge market waiting to be tapped - and another way to get Linux established with the everyday folks out there.
    how huge market?
    how much is it willing to pay for a game like Luxor per license?
    will the customer be tech savvy enough to know how to buy it through ubuntu software store?

Beans

Thanks for the game, looks like fun but I get no audio. Anyone else is having this issue?

NM I got it i was using X86_64 change to just X86 and that 1 worked. thanks Just tried x86_64 thinking i should used that because Im on 64 bit OS.
    Last edited by joeelmex; October 7th, 2009 at 02:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Shockwave.com sells to those people all the time. Personally, I pay a subscription fee (annually) for the windows users in my family. Yes, the people who play these games are tech savvy enough to purchase games online.

The casual game industry is hauling in $2.25 billion a year and expanding by 20 per cent annually

Read more: http://digital-lifestyles.info/2007/...#ixzz0TD6pxoHm
    And with mobile latching on to them, as well as social sites like Facebook, people are starting to expect to be able to play their favorite games everywhere. If they can't play them on a linux box, they will reject linux. Just my opinion of course, but I see it from the every day folks I talk to all the time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

your absolutely right, my grandfather really enjoys playing these types of games. Linux would be a great choice since his tech savvyness is currently in the "where is the folder where the games are stored again" status. Needless to say, he cannot be convinced to run a virus scan. Your right, smaller game players may not be as "tech savy" but if the systems are set up for them, or can install straight from a disk, or come preloaded by dell, system76, etc, then they can be just as easy to use...although, I hate to do this on an ubuntu forum, but ubuntu is not a good OS for non-tech savy people, linux mint might be a great choice. (I understand, and to an extent support canonicals decision not to ship with propriatary codec support, Im just saying that I am an ubuntu user since the badger days, and I still get hung up installing them around upgrade time, so I can only imagine other peoples dismay...and dont get me started about "try out this live cd to see how it works...if by try, you mean dont listen to mp3's or watch videos).

Beans

Nice to see the Linux female gamers coming out of the woodworks to let us know "us guys" are not alone, even though I know we're not. My girlfriend is a gamer and so are many of the girls I know online.

If they ported over many of the games that were mentioned and asked for a fee, I'm sure people would pay regardless since people will usually pay for quality stuff. That's not to say there aren't a lot of good games for Linux, but the fact that the games department is still lacking a bit is saddening, but one day it'll even out as Linux gets more popular among end-users.

Jesse~
    Currently running Operating Systems:
    Linux Mint 10 "Julia" (x86) | Maemo 5 (Nokia N900 Phone ARM) | Windows 7 Ultimate (x86)

Beans
    Distro

Yay! Thanks Troy for letting me know that there's a company out there getting some of this going. At least one member of my family would love those Fashion Cents games. I may buy those for Christmas presents, load them on my linux laptop, and see if I can get them hooked on linux that way.

Of course, then they're going to want to know where they can find more games like them and that's where things will get a little dicey. LOL.

Thanks to everyone for showing some interest in the topic. Appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by dazzlindonna View Post
    At least one member of my family would love those Fashion Cents games. I may buy those for Christmas presents
    Perhaps do that, but buy My Tribe right now?
    http://www.mygamecompany.com/Products/Other/mytribe.htm

look at the prices and see that the linux version is much cheaper than for the others.

IMO this game is the best game on that website, but after trying the demo it is too children friendly. I'd want more supply-management and logistics in the game.... so I didnt buy the game... perhaps because I am not a casual gamer at all.

Looking forward to check out My Tribe 2 when it comes out.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast