Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IP monitor and emailer?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

IP monitor and emailer?

Hello folks!
    I need a prog, preferably with GUI, which emails my dynamic IP to my email every time it changes (so I can access my security cams, for example or use remote desktop). There are numerous such IP mailer progs for windows but is there an equivalent one for Ubuntu please?

(I don't want to use dyndns. It closes free accounts if they are not used for a month and I don't want/need to rely on some other company!)

Beans

Re: IP monitor and emailer?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkX View Post
    preferably with GUI
    I don't know about a GUI, but there is a neat idea using wget -q http://checkip.dyndns.org/ to save your current IP address and send it by SMS. You could probably adapt this script to use Mutt instead:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=373963

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Although you don't want to use DynDNS, you might be able to use one of the update clients that it recommends. If that's not possible, or if it does not suit, you can still use checkip.dyndns.org to check if your IP has changed. Install curl. Now you can check your IP with the following command:

Code:
    curl -s http://checkip.dyndns.org | sed 's/[^0-9.]//g'
    You could incorporate that into a script. Then, if the IP has changed, the script could send you the new IP via email (I would use exim4 and a Gmail server for this, as described here).

I've been pondering this very subject for a while now, but haven't yet actually set to writing the script. If you write a script, or if you find an easier way to do this, I would very much like to know.
    Last edited by t0p; October 6th, 2009 at 10:53 PM.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I wouldn't know where to start writing my own stuff, plus I don't want to, it's not my hobby.

It just needs a little GUI which says:

Email IP to:
    1)...........
    2)...........

X on change
    X every: ...day/s, ..hours, ..minutes

The IP could be displayed in the email subject title so it doesn't even have to be opened and can be copied and pasted.
    Like this:

IP= http://123.123.123.123

That little feature could be integrated into various other apps including email programs like Thunderbird or webcam surveillance progs or whatever. (Ideally routers should be equipped with this function, on top of dydns.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Google turns up a couple of tools which may suit. There's XSS IP Monitor 1.8, and MSA IP Monitor 1.1.2. I haven't tried either program, but the descriptions sound suitable.

EDIT: Actually these programs appear to be Windows only. ******* stupid search engines!
    Last edited by t0p; October 6th, 2009 at 11:06 PM.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post
    Google turns up a couple of tools which may suit. There's XSS IP Monitor 1.8, and MSA IP Monitor 1.1.2. I haven't tried either program, but the descriptions sound suitable.

EDIT: Actually these programs appear to be Windows only. ******* stupid search engines!
    Yup, (they also cost money)!
    There are heaps of them for windows but I have found none for Linux, which is kind of strange. Without an IP all manner of programs become useless.
    I would have though it would be just the kind of really useful app a linuxer or unix admin would throw together in a coffee break to get their dynamic home IP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Did a quick search and found this:

http://onthefencedevelopment.com/?p=289

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You might like to look at arpwatch and PHP Open Monitor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by brian mcgee View Post
    Did a quick search and found this:

http://onthefencedevelopment.com/?p=289
    Now that looks good! I'm going to have something to eat, then I'll see what's what... but at a glance it seems to be what we want.

EDIT: Yeah, I can use that script, but instead of doing the Twitter thing I can use exim4 and Gmail to send myself the IP address via email. Sweeet!!
    Last edited by t0p; October 7th, 2009 at 12:09 AM.

Beans

Just an idle thought, but isn't your current IP address in the last Received: header in any email you send? If so, then all you need is to send a daily email by cron.
    Last edited by StuartN; October 7th, 2009 at 08:25 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast