Thread: Realtech RTL8187B connects to Wireless network, but I cant browse the Internet

Beans

Realtech RTL8187B connects to Wireless network, but I cant browse the Internet

Hi!

I just installed the Ubuntu 9.04 on an Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Pi3525. lsusb shows that I have a Realtek RTL8187B in it. I found here some threads about Ndiswrapper, but I don`t think it is the solution.
    The notebook is able to connect to wireless networks, right now it`s also connected. However, I cannot browse the internet, even if it is connected to a wireless network.
    I found this site, downloaded rtl8187b-modified-jadams-2-1-2008.tar.gz and tried to run ./makedrv but without success. Anyway I don`t know if I need this or the Ndiswrapper if I am able to connect to wireless networks.

Could you help me with this problem? Thanks a lot.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Realtech RTL8187B connects to Wireless network, but I cant browse the Internet

Realtek is fairly standard and should be supported by default.
    However if it's a new chip it still might have glitches...

Could you post the terminal output of
    Code:
    iwconfig
    Code:
    sudo dhclient
    and
    Code:
    ping google.com

Also some mainboards have the problem of not initialising the wifi card properly on reboots, which means you have to turn the machine off completely. It's a rare error case, but I saw it just 2 weeks ago on a PC dualbooting Ubuntu and Windows.
    GNU/Linux distro timeline
    Feel free to contribute!

Beans

Re: Realtech RTL8187B connects to Wireless network, but I cant browse the Internet

I have had many problems with the driver for the rtl8187b. However if you install the linux-backports-modules package in synaptic or from the terminal it completely solves it.

# For Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid users:
    sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-intrepid

# For Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty users:
    sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-jaunty

You may have to check you have all of the correct repositories enabled, in the case backports.

Beans

Hi, I have a different ralink (RA2500) wireless card.
    Mine has the same problem. Looks like it is not correctly picking up the transmission rate.

try something like:
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 rate 54M

Where instead of 54M you use the rate of your router.
    Infos on the bug here, if I an right:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/190515
    Leodp

Beans

Thank you for your help and sorry I haven`t been here for a long time. I finally solved the problem with ndiswrapper and a XP driver after what I set the wlan rate to 11M.

Thanks.