Thread: Apache Multiple VirtualHosts on the same IP (VM)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Apache Multiple VirtualHosts on the same IP (VM)

I am running 64bit Ubuntu 9.04 Server, in Virtual Box. I have installed the LAMP stack, and I am having a hard time getting VirtualHosts to work. I have given the VM it's own static IP address (192.168.1.105) and I have given it the hostname "LAMPVM" via my router, and when I try to access it from my browser it only goes to 1 domain at a time.

I have "vhost_alias" & "rewrite" enabled.

I have my /etc/apache2/httpd.conf setup as follows:
    Code:
    <Directory "/home/USER/workspace">
            Options FollowSymLinks
            AllowOverride All

Order allow,deny
            Allow from all
    </Directory>

NameVirtualHost *
    ServerName localhost
    I have the following sites-enabled:
    localhost:
    Code:
    <VirtualHost *>
            ServerName localhost
            ServerAlias localhost *.localhost
            VirtualDocumentRoot /home/USER/workspace/%1/
    </VirtualHost>
    test1:
    Code:
    <VirtualHost *>
            ServerName test1
            ServerAlias test1 *.test1
            DocumentRoot /home/USER/workspace/test1/
    </VirtualHost>
    test2:
    Code:
    <VirtualHost *>
            ServerName test2
            ServerAlias test2 *.test2
            DocumentRoot /home/USER/workspace/test2/
    </VirtualHost>
    And I enter "LAMPVM" into my browser it only goes to the most recent domain I added (test2).
    If I enter "test1.LAMPVM" into my browser it doesn't find the address.
    I realize this is because my DNS on my browsers machine (not the VM) is not configured to recognize what "test1.LAMPVM" means. But when I enter the following into my /etc/hosts file:
    Code:
    127.0.0.1       localhost
    127.0.1.1       my-machine

#LAMPVM
    192.168.1.105 test1.lampvm
    192.168.1.105 test2.lampvm
    By browser goes to the address "test2.lampvm", but it thinks "test1.lampvm" is the same as "test2.lampvm" (or "test1.lampvm" is being routed to the most recently added domain [which happens to be test2]).
    Again, I kinda get why this isn't working because both "test1.lampvm" and "test2.lampvm" are pointing to the same address (192.168.1.105), but that is the address of the VM, and I don't know how else to get access to multiple domains on the same VM/IP?

My guess is I probably need to make some adjustments in my Router, but not sure exactly what?
    Any/All Help, Comments, Suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    -BassKozz
    Last edited by BassKozz; October 6th, 2009 at 03:54 PM.
    Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit - IP35-Pro | Q6600@3.3ghz(TRUE [lapped]) | G.Skill 2x2GB | MSI NX8600GT | 150GB WD Raptor ||| NAS - Ubuntu 10.04 - Intel D865GBF | P4 3.0GHz | G.Skill 4x1GB | FX5200-AGP | 3x250GB mdadm Raid5

Beans

Re: Apache Multiple VirtualHosts on the same IP (VM)

First of all, you shouldn't be using httpd.conf. You should create vhost configurations in /etc/apache2/sites-available, then enable them with a2ensite. The default vhost should be /etc/apache2/sites-available/default. If your server is ubuntu 9.04, NameVirtualHost should only be used in /etc/apache2/ports.conf.

You seem to have the server names configured as test1, test2, etc., so why are you configuring your hosts file with test1.lampvm, test2.lampvm, etc.?

If you don't want to edit /etc/hosts or worry about browser caching or routing, you could use netcat to have full control over the http headers.
    Code:
    echo -e "GET / HTTP/1.0\nHost: test1\n"|nc localhost 80
    Of course, make sure you reload apache after changing any vhost configuration.

Get apache working properly, then figure out routing.
    Last edited by cdenley; October 6th, 2009 at 04:24 PM.