Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pro's and Con's with going to 32-Bit Ubuntu on PanP5

Beans

Re: Pro's and Con's with going to 32-Bit Ubuntu on PanP5

Quote Originally Posted by jsteiner View Post
    An option that you may want to consider is installing a 32 bit VirtualBox virtual machine to handle any of your 32 bits apps that wont run under a 64 bit OS.
    Great idea. I've attached a launcher icon that you can use for it in your panel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hey Guys...

I'll try the 64-bit flash again, but the last time I tired it Firefox just crashed on any Flash enabled site with a Segmentation Fault error so I stuck with the wrapper. I didn't know about ia32 though so I might try that if I can't get the latest 64-bit Flash installed since I think Adobe has updated it since I last tired.

As for VirtualBox, I do use it and it's awesome... though I only have Windows installed. I'd love to get my webcam working through virtualbox so I could use Flash sites that take advantage of the webcam, but thus far I haven't been able to get VirtualBox to see it.

I also didn't know about the 3 Gig limit on RAM. I have 4 Gigs and using VirtualBox as much as I do I need every bit I can... so that right there will keep me on 64-bit Linux.

Thanks for the replies and great info...

Sam

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I just recently used my panp5 with 32bit, w/out the graphics driver and a slower 5500rpm WD Blue Scorpio drive

I noticed the performance difference and i only have one dimm of 2gb

miro crashed once
    cpus were constantly being utilized about 80-90%
    things just felt slow IMHO

64 bit karmic, w/ stock 7200rpm hitachi, w/out graphics driver= Better

Both were fresh full installs... (I borked grub... and just decided to back up and reinstall everything, long story)
    Laptops: S76 Panp5, HP tc4400
    Other: numerous old desktops/laptops running ubuntu or puppy linux

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12