Thread: How can I get Pulseaudio working on my Dell Latitude Laptop?

Beans

How can I get Pulseaudio working on my Dell Latitude Laptop?

Hi!

For over a year now I have been trying to get PulseAudio working in Ubuntu, but I have never quite gotten it to work. The worst thing about it is that it is working sometimes... but way to often there are conflicts, and almost all of the tiems it is my softphone client (twinkle) that is complaining about units or resources being occupied.

I have followed this thread a number of times, and when that hasn't been working I have tried other guides as well.

All of them ends up with the same sympthoms. Something is hogging hardware resources so that twinkle suddenly stops working with messages about how the microphone or speaker is busy. I am using a USB headset.

Sometimes the resources seems to be occupied by firefox and maybe also rhytmbox, in previous ubuntu versions (I am now running 9.10 beta version) pidgin was a frequent trouble maker.

I am thinking about removing pulseaudio all together but that isn't feeling like the right way to go....

Is there anyone here that have experienced similar problems or have any suggestions? I would appreciate any kind of help!

Regards
    Daniel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: How can I get Pulseaudio working on my Dell Latitude Laptop?

The ubuntu pulseaudio maintainers have some fixes that will be out when karmic is released. They have fessed up to screwing the pooch with Intrepid and Jaunty and karmic so far and are now making a concerted effort to get pulse working the way it should by collaborating with the pulse devs (finally). Pulseaudo has worked better in a number of other distributions for a long time now and it is time for ubuntu to get it together too. All we can do is hope and pray and file lots of bug reports and feature requests.
    PMs will be ignored.

Beans

Re: How can I get Pulseaudio working on my Dell Latitude Laptop?

I must say that I am losing hope that they will get this working. I am running the devel version of 9.10 and the release is only 6 days away.

Trying to file as many reports as possible, but haven't recieved any follow-ups on any of them yet.

Crossing my fingers that this will be solved until the release, otherwise it's windows 7 for me.