Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ...The "old tricks" to "speed-up" Ubuntu. Still valid in Karmic?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question ...The "old tricks" to "speed-up" Ubuntu. Still valid in Karmic?

First, are you using a dual-core or other processor that supports hyperthreading (also called multithreading)? If so, open up /etc/init.d/rc:
    kdesu kwrite /etc/init.d/rc
    Now, find the line that says "CONCURRENCY" and make it read "CONCURRENCY=shell".

Secondly, do you have a lot of RAM? If so, you probably don't need your computer to touch your swap file much. Open up /etc/sysctl.conf:
    kdesu kwrite /etc/sysctl.conf
    Now, scroll to the bottom and add the line "vm.swappiness=0" to the file. Save, and exit.

Are you using broadband? Open up /etc/sysctl.conf again:
    Now, scroll to the bottom and add the following to the file:

net.core.rmem_default = 524288
    net.core.rmem_max = 524288
    net.core.wmem_default = 524288
    net.core.wmem_max = 524288
    net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 4096 87380 524288
    net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 4096 87380 524288
    net.ipv4.tcp_mem = 524288 524288 524288
    net.ipv4.tcp_rfc1337 = 1
    net.ipv4.ip_no_pmtu_disc = 0
    net.ipv4.tcp_sack = 1
    net.ipv4.tcp_fack = 1
    net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 1
    net.ipv4.tcp_timestamps = 1
    net.ipv4.tcp_ecn = 0
    net.ipv4.route.flush = 1

Save and exit. Type:
    sudo sysctl -p

...as found in a few places and this one, much more comprehensive:

http://aldeby.org/blog/index.php/spe...inux-boot.html

Just curious as there's going to be some who will want to tweak things...

Thanks
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (& Windows XP-SP3 for Flight Sim only) - (1) 3.4 G/3G RAM/NVIDIA GT630, 2048VRAM/SB AudigySE Audio (2) 2.9 G/2G RAM/NVIDIA 9500GT,1024VRAM/SB Audio (3) 2.3 G/2G RAM/NVIDIA FX1500M,256VRAM/Sigmatel Audio

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: ...The "old tricks" to "speed-up" Ubuntu. Still valid in Karmic?

I just did your "Concurrency" trick and, if its not merely the power of suggestion, I'd say my system is snappier now!
    Dell Studio XPS 1640, 2.6 GHz processor, 4 GB RAM
    Multi-booting Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8, UBUNTU 12.04, UBUNTU Gnome Remix 12.10 Beta, and MINT 11

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Post Re: ...The "old tricks" to "speed-up" Ubuntu. Still valid in Karmic?

I would say that all the ones you note are still valid--I don't know how much longer the /init.d/rc will be though...upstart will be replacing large parts of the old system startup--I see it taking more tasks with every update.....The rest are just good ideas...In these days where RAM is cheap, you don't need VM--so just shut it off & the same follows for optimizing for broadband....
    "Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favourite lines from AVATAR
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tsger View Post
    I just did your "Concurrency" trick and, if its not merely the power of suggestion, I'd say my system is snappier now!
    Sorry, that's the power of suggestion. That "trick" would only affect the initial boot performance, and nothing more. You can easily measure any performance difference using bootchart.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by emarkay View Post
    First, are you using a dual-core or other processor that supports hyperthreading (also called multithreading)? If so, open up /etc/init.d/rc:
    kdesu kwrite /etc/init.d/rc
    Now, find the line that says "CONCURRENCY" and make it read "CONCURRENCY=shell".
    Probably doesn't help much, especially now that we have upstart.
    Secondly, do you have a lot of RAM? If so, you probably don't need your computer to touch your swap file much. Open up /etc/sysctl.conf:
    Now, scroll to the bottom and add the line "vm.swappiness=0" to the file. Save, and exit.
    The kernel developers themselves disagree vehemently over whether this option improves desktop interactivity. Swapping inactive applications increases the buffers, which may allow new applications to load faster.

Are you using broadband? Open up /etc/sysctl.conf again:
    Now, scroll to the bottom and add the following to the file:

net.core.rmem_default = 524288
    net.core.rmem_max = 524288
    net.core.wmem_default = 524288
    net.core.wmem_max = 524288
    net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 4096 87380 524288
    net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 4096 87380 524288
    net.ipv4.tcp_mem = 524288 524288 524288
    net.ipv4.tcp_rfc1337 = 1
    net.ipv4.ip_no_pmtu_disc = 0
    net.ipv4.tcp_sack = 1
    net.ipv4.tcp_fack = 1
    net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 1
    net.ipv4.tcp_timestamps = 1
    net.ipv4.tcp_ecn = 0
    net.ipv4.route.flush = 1
    Why can't you do some network speed tests to confirm or deny the effectiveness? I would say that it's mostly snake oil.

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: ...The "old tricks" to "speed-up" Ubuntu. Still valid in Karmic?

HMMMM---I am getting a speedup with my broadband--at least pages in Firefox "seem" to be a notable bit faster...As for swappiness--I don't do it & agree that it is a doubtful "improvement", but you never know about some corner-cases...

(more info)--I just did a couple of speed tests & I would say that it is just a "wish" that the speed is faster--it "feels" like it--but it's not "real"
    Last edited by autocrosser; October 6th, 2009 at 05:58 AM. Reason: more info
    "Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favourite lines from AVATAR
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

What do doctors call it - the Placebo Effect. Using sugar pills. I like the notion of snake oil. I don't know whay that sounded funny to me.

I used this "concoction" once while fiddling around with Arch Linux. But it didn't seem to speed things up.
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: ...The "old tricks" to "speed-up" Ubuntu. Still valid in Karmic?

So they are "safe" in Karmic, but , based on tests and expert comments, are all basically useless as "speed-ups", or any other positive purpose?

Just want to confirm. Thanks!
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (& Windows XP-SP3 for Flight Sim only) - (1) 3.4 G/3G RAM/NVIDIA GT630, 2048VRAM/SB AudigySE Audio (2) 2.9 G/2G RAM/NVIDIA 9500GT,1024VRAM/SB Audio (3) 2.3 G/2G RAM/NVIDIA FX1500M,256VRAM/Sigmatel Audio

Beans
    Hidden!

well, the only thing of those ‘tricks’ to speed up ubuntu that noticeably worked for me was installing bum and deactivating not-needed services. lots of them
    (unfortunatly an absolutely necessary measure to make my sisters celeron 433, 522mb fun to work with)

Beans
    Distro

Well for one, "CONCURRENCY" now only has options of "none", "startpar", and "makefield" - no more "shell".

"Swappiness" does work - at least id didn't crash things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast